Confused about 24p, Premiere Pro, and DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Confused about 24p, Premiere Pro, and DVD

Okay, here we go......

I'm confused. Waaay confused. I have a DVX100 and want to capture to my HD some footage that was shot on 24p/a. I can import this footage with no problems...and I can edit this in the Premiere timeline. But, is this true 24p that I'm editing at or is it a butchered down version of plain 30fps?

Why should I be concerned about Premiere not supporting 24p? Should I only be concerned if I'm only exporting to DVD or Film? If I'm exporting out to NTSC tape, will I still retain the 24p "look"? Or, are some extra frames added to make it 30fps that give it that video look?

I know this question has been asked a few times, but I did a search and did not really come up with anything other than people saying Premiere does not support 24p. SO, hopefully this post will be the ONE topic that others will find in their search if they have the same questions I do.

Any help on clearing this confusion would be greatly appreciated. I'm torn on all this 24p hoopla....I need some answers! :)
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #2
Wrangler

Let me do my best to explain. When they say Premiere doesn't support 24p they don't mean you can't edit 24p footage in Premiere. It just means that Premiere can decipher the original 24 frames and the extra frames added via pulldown.

Now pulldown is the adding of frames to make the footage 29.97fps or NTSC DV compliant. The difference between 24p and 24pA modes on the DVX are the pull-down. 24p uses standard 2-3 pulldown where as 24pA uses advanced 2-3-3-2 pulldown. (hence 24pA*dvanced)

If your working with an NLE that doesn't "support" 24p or *support the removal of pull-down*, you should shoot in standard 24p and not 24pA. 24p will look better on screen. 24pA is only to be used when working with an NLE capable of removing the pulldown.

In short, if using Premiere and want to get a more filmic look shoot in 24p (not 24pA) and edit like usual without having a worry in the world regarding pulldown etc etc. It will succeed in making your footage look more film'like but not to the extent if you had shot in 24pA and edited in an NLE that supported the removal of it's pull-down for native 24p editing.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Glen,
Thanks. So, 24p is what I'd use....but 24pa would be even better if Premiere supported it?

So, is it even worth shooting in 24P right now? When I captured the 24p footage, I did notice right away that it looked like 30fps video.

If I wanted to export 24p footage to DVD, I can pretty much forget it....right?

Either way, at the moment, Premiere doesn't export true 24p footage...yet.

If I had a copy of After Effects, how would that change all this? What would be the process?
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #4
Wrangler

If you shoot in simple 24p and not 24pA just treat it as standard DV footage. You can output to DVD just fine. I don't know if AE will do what you need it to do.
As for what to shoot in- depends on you. If you want versatility shoot 60i because you'll still have gain adjustment, and auto focus available for run-n-gun shoots. If it's a more film'like appearence your looking for go 24p. Just watch cutting on stutter frames. With the additional frames added to meet the 29.97 criteria a few of the frames have to be blended. The frames that are blended normaly aren't noticable during a sceen- however it it lies at the end of one sceen and the beginning of the next you'll get visual stutter frame.

Not to beat a dead horse but why not try out Vegas 4.0. It has support for native 24pA editing. And with DVD Architect you can make true progressive scan 24p dvds!
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok, i'm still confused...

I have XL1, and because i'm still not overly familiar and haven't had much practice i'm still using automatic mode.

How many frames per second do i get using automactic mode? And whats so special about 24 frames? And why would i want to film in 24 frames.

Thanks

Nick
Nick Glenister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #6
Wrangler

XL-1 "auto" mode designates that focus and exposure are automatic. It has nothing to do with frame-rate. XL-1 shoots in 29.97 (barring it's NTSC). The XL-1 and GL1,2 have frame mode which is more like 30p but achieved by doubling the fields in every frame making the image look as if it's not interlaced despite the fact it technically is.
Old September 5th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : XL-1 "auto" mode designates that focus and exposure are automatic. It has nothing to do with frame-rate. XL-1 shoots in 29.97 (barring it's NTSC). The XL-1 and GL1,2 have frame mode which is more like 30p but achieved by doubling the fields in every frame making the image look as if it's not interlaced despite the fact it technically is. -->>>

I've heard you can change the frame rate on the xl-1 using frame movie mode (i think) what benefits would that give me over 29.97?

Oh and i'm in the UK so it PAL, not that i really understand the differences there except it think that has more frame per second than NTSC.

Nick
Old September 5th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #8
Wrangler

Actually PAL is less fps @ 25 compared to NTSC @ 30.
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Actually PAL is less fps @ 25 compared to NTSC @ 30. -->>>

oops got that wrong then, so when i import my PAL footage i should select 25fps... i think i've been choosing 30... is this going to cause me problems???
Old September 8th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #10
Wrangler

I don't know maybe it depends on what NLE your using. Usually choosing the frame rate of your project just sets the timeline and how it measures frames/time-units. I don't think setting your project at 30fps will make your NLE try to "add" 5 frames to your 25fps PAL footage. So, in other words, you should be ok....but take this opportunity to change all your new project settings to 25fps or use some sort of PAL template.
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : I don't know maybe it depends on what NLE your using. Usually choosing the frame rate of your project just sets the timeline and how it measures frames/time-units. I don't think setting your project at 30fps will make your NLE try to "add" 5 frames to your 25fps PAL footage. So, in other words, you should be ok....but take this opportunity to change all your new project settings to 25fps or use some sort of PAL template. -->>>

I got it wrong yet again (i'm having a bad day).

I Import using PAL setting (i'm using Premiere) but i believe I export at 30fps. Still i shall experiment and stop bothering you all will my trifle problems

Thanks for the help

Nick
Old September 8th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #12
Wrangler

No worries, this is the reason these forums are here to begin with.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite