Does FinalCut have this feature and Premiere doesn't? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does FinalCut have this feature and Premiere doesn't?

Hello,

A friend told me he met a guy that works with Final Cut (I haven't use that software never) and told him with FC you can render a whole video, and afterwards if you have to make modifications in parts of the video FC will only render what is modified without having to render the whole thing (I guess it must use some kind of internal pointers). If this is true does Premiere have something similar?? I run to cases I have render a video for 20 hours and then only for some little changes I have to render and wait those 20 hours again, if premiere had what FC we could save tons of time.

Any insights please?

Thanks in advance.
Jose Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Trustee

If you mean rendering for preview purposes, yes. If you mean encoding to for instance MPEG2-DVD, no. Rendering 20 hours seems excessively long BTW.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Trustee

FCP can render just a selected area on the timeline, just as Premiere can render just the area under the work bar on its timeline. But this is preview rendering.

When you output a file the conversion rendering in both programs -- or, afaik, any nle ----has to be done all of a piece because it is making one continuous file. I think there's a confusion over "rendering", and I prefer to call the computing done on the timeline so that the clips can be seen in real time as "rendering" and creating the output from program "output conversion" to avoid this problem....they really are two different things.

That said, FCP gives a lot of options for rendering the timeline -- render all, render selection, render audio only, etc etc. Saves time in editing the timeline. Does nothing to the output conversion except save a little time that the program would spend doing the rendering before output conversion if you fail to do it yourself. Hope this helps instead of confusing.....Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello,

I think I've understand. Basically Premiere has the same feature as FC, because myself I was already using render "work area" instead of "entire sequence", or rendering just the audio when needed for further post production. I was very exceptical that once you had an entire sequence/video render and had to redo a part of it that FC could just render only that part and be able to "glue" it to the rest of the video without doing the whole thing.

Yup, sometimes projects take many hours due to being long (2 or 3 hours) and thing applying CC filters and corrections...and slow machines!

Thanks for the answers.

Jose
Jose Milan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite