Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2002, 10:27 AM   #136
Doconomus

Hello:

Are you adjusting your "work area bar" (the yellow bar above the timeline) at all whenever you go to modify your work? Moving this will specify the area you want to render (such as one transition).

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Old June 20th, 2002, 01:28 AM   #137
twonamii

MotoDV Adobe Premier LE

MotoDV: Is there anything like Premier for dummies? I am totally confused with it, or should I abandon it and try something else. Any suggestions? I find the Panasonic PostBox at work to be super simple to use.

Old June 20th, 2002, 05:53 AM   #138
Capt. Quirk

Actually, Premiere is the easiest, most intuitive editor that I have found. I never used the lite version, but if you describe what you are trying to do, maybe we can help.
Keith
Old June 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM   #139
Doconomus

Big James:

Interesting. How do you check if your CD-ROM is on your IDE chain? Is there a simple way to change it if it is?

Thanks!

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Old June 20th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #140
twonamii

premiere 6.0

I "borrowed" the full version from work. They also have training tapes I can look at maybe this will help.

Old June 22nd, 2002, 12:45 AM   #141
Major Player

Hi,

have you guys managed to suss out your "blue screen / jump cut" issue with the XL-1. If not you may wish to consider the my experience with the DVRaptor. It took me over 200 man hours to solve the problem.........WHICH WAS NOT THE XL-1. (OK, OK is was my spelling mistake in the ini file that took me 180 hours to find.)

a) I do not think this applies to NTSC cams but certainly the PAL XL-1 had a problem when using the Canopus DV Raptor. The problem is that the Canon audio codec is not the same as the Sony standard which seems to be the standard followed by most. I had exactly the same problem and was able to fix this (canopus fix) with a line in the canopus.ini file. The extra line of programming, as I understand it, merely altered the "sync characteristics". Problem gone. Remove the line....problem back. It may well be that your problems are of the same nature, Canon audio codec vs, Sony standard on your capture board.

b) One further thing to look at is forcing your Video and Audio codec's to the top of the list (priority). This is done by (Win98SE) Start>Setting>Control Panel>Multimedia>Devices there you will find both video and audio compression codec's. Double click the one you are using and alter the priority to 1 and make sure you have the box "Use this Audio / Video codec" checked.

c) Yet another thing to check is that your video capture card is assigned to an IRQ of 9 or greater and that it does not share with any other device. In order of priority the PC assigns more resource and priority starting at 15 and ending at 1. I disabled PnP and "forced" my DVRaptor card to IRQ11 and my Soundblaster to IRQ10. This is achieved in the BIOS setup. Sometimes motherboards share slots, for example my AGP slot shares with my 1st PCI slot. When I initially setup the PC I had my Voodoo in the AGP slot and the DVRaptor on PCI slot 1. No can do. Check your MOBO book and ensure that your capture card does not interfere (slotwise) with you display and soundcards.

d) Many motherboards use chipsets that are less than friendly to capture cards, certainly to DVRaptor. When specifying a NLE machine one must take great care to ensure full compatibility with intended capture card. www.tomshardware.com is a great place to check some of this info.

e) To maximise use of your resources it is best to have your Video Files on a HD other than the one hosting your Operating System and that it also does not reside on the same IDE channel. For example I have set my system as follows:

IDE 0 c:> OS drive
IDE 0 d:> CD Rom
IDE 1 e:> Video Data (Project Files, footage etc)
IDE 1 f:> Video Data (Scratch disks)

f) Make sure you are using the latest "80 pin" IDE cable for faster access.

g) Make sure that you have disabled any virus checking software, Microsoft Fast Find, HD powerdown settings etc before editing.

h) In Premiere set your scratch disks to a seperate drive if possible. Also ensure the correct settings of the video codec you use.

IMHO, more problems are created in the incorrect use / setting up of hardware when setting up NLE systems. If I have stated the obvious then forgive me.

Good Luck
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Old June 23rd, 2002, 10:17 PM   #142
StormFront

Holy crap dude, I hear ya.

Well here is what I just found if anyone cares. I re-installed the W2K SP2, problem gone.

Old June 26th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #143
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Jerky Playback

There's a post in the Premier user group about this issue. It has to do with adding a line in the Prem60.ini file which forces Premier to playback all frames. I can't remember the string, but just do a search under "Prem60.ini"
Old June 30th, 2002, 09:58 PM   #144
Regular Crew

Deleting/Backing up from Premiere

I just finished my first short project on Premiere and all the files take up about 40 gigs. Of the 60 caputures I did, I only use part of maybe 40 of them. So, what do I do now? Even if I got a DVD burner, that would take more than 10 discs. Is there a way to print out a list of what avi's are used so I can delete the rest? I don't want to have to back up everything on 50 CDR's just in case I want to edit something later. Plus, this is a 8 minute short. What do people do on a feature!

Thanks for the feedback!
Old July 1st, 2002, 01:06 AM   #145
RED Code Chef

Traditionally, large files are backup on tape. Preferably DLT. These
are quite expensive though, but can house large files. Another
posibility might be to leave the original source as MiniDV tapes
and delete the AVI files. Only store the output file instead of all
the input files.

This is a problem indeed, we just have too limited backup media
available for the filesizes we use. I'm looking into a DVD burner
myself for my files. This will require a lot of DVD-R discs, but will
be cheaper than something like DLT. I wish those next generation
900 GB discs were here or something.

Premiere's project files are plain text files, you could load these
up into notepad or something and see which files premiere is
using.

Good luck.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 2nd, 2002, 03:47 PM   #146
Wrangler

Create yourself an Generic EDL in Premiere. Load it in notepad, and it should tell you where the file came from and how long you used it, as well as all the transition codes, audio and such like. Print this out and make yourself a check list.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith
Old July 2nd, 2002, 07:45 PM   #147
EricB116

Notebook setup for Premiere

Newbie here and I was helping my brother, a flegling film student, with putting together a nice little setup. He is getting a Canon Xl1s with some nice goodies.

My question is on the config for the NLE system.

He has a new Compaq laptop 2800 series with Pentium 4M 1.4Ghz, 256MB RAM, 14.1" TFT display, ATI Radeon 7500 64MB and Windows XP.

I ordered the Pyro Firewire Platinum DV Cardbus that comes with a full version of Adobe Premiere 6 and some very nice extras like Title Deko.

Since the laptop hard drive is neither fast nor big, I also ordered the new Maxtor 3000DV 80GB 7200rpm firewire hard drive that is supposed to be much faster than the first generation external hard drives.

I have heard that a second monitor is necessary and the video chipset is capable of driving two monitors, but I wasn't sure if a 17" was sufficient or I should go bigger. Also, does anyone see if I am missing the boat on anything here?

I know a notebook rig is not typical for video so your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old July 2nd, 2002, 09:11 PM   #148
Regular Crew

I use a Sony P3 500 with 192 MBs of RAM using Windows 98SE to edit video using both Premiere and Ulead Media Studio Pro. I have a 100 GB 7200 RPM External Firewire Drive.

Your setup is more than sufficient to edit video. Although, I would personally think that outputing to a TV monitor would be more beneficial than outputting to a computer monitor.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 09:23 PM   #149
New Boot

a ntsc monitor is neccessary not a second computer monitor. Just making sure you know the difference, but yeah it seems like a good setup.

Only thing that has me wondering is why you turning a laptop into an editing machine? is it absolutely neccessary? if its because you want to do some editing while traveling, i dont see why this is possible since you are going to be carrying your seperate monitor and external hard drive(s) around.

I am little curious as to why you are going that route. to me it just doesn't make sense.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 02:17 AM   #150
RED Code Chef

That dual monitor setup might be a problem. I know for sure that
Windows 2000 cannot handle a dual monitor setup (perhaps it
can with quality drivers) when there is only one graphics card in
your system (which is the case with a laptop!). I myself had a
compaq and now a dell running Windows 2000. Neither systems
gave me the posibility for dual monitor. When I ran windows 98
second edition this was possible!

Now I have *not* ran Windows XP on my laptop yet, so I cannot
tell you if the new OS supports dual monitors of one chip. This
might be a good thing to try before you buy if you want to go
down this route!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite