Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old December 14th, 2001, 08:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002

I'm new to using Premiere and I have a feeling this is something very simple to do, but can anyone explain how I can superimpose two video images at 50% each and hold that for a duration of time? I'm not looking for a simple dissolve. I am trying to basically hold the dissolve effect at it's midpoint where both video tracks are onscreen at the same time.

Thanks.
Old December 14th, 2001, 02:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Brad,

Here's one solution, but there are probably other ways to do it as well:

1. Overlap the the two clips on V1A and V1B
2. Place a Cross Dissolve transition on the transition track and stretch it to cover the duration of the desired effect.
3. Double Click the transition to bring up the Cross Dissolve Settings dialog box.
4. Set both Start and End sliders to 50%
5. Close the dialog box

You might want to put a shorter dissolve at the beginning and end to fade into and out of the superimposed section created with the above steps.

Good Luck,
Ed Frazier
Old December 14th, 2001, 06:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not too familiar with the Windows version of Premiere, but does anyone know if there is a way to just have two video layers and set the opacity of one to 50%? That's how I do it in Final Cut Pro.
Old December 14th, 2001, 07:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Joe,

Yes, it can also be done that way provided one clip is on Video Track #2 or higher. If I remember correctly, you cannot set opacity on Track #1A or #1B.

Ed Frazier
Old December 15th, 2001, 04:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

here is how I would do it.

Do you know how to use transparancies... it is difficult to explain without images but here goes. I'm doing this from memory so some of the details might be wrong:
1 - Place one video on track 1 the other right above it on track 2; (not track 1a and 1b).
2 - Select the video no track 2 ; (Click on the video in track 2 the white box appears around it.)
3 - goto CLIP scroll down to VIDEO select TRANSPARANCY
4 - In the dropdown box select MULTIPLY or experiment with some of the other options... before hitting OK look in the upper right hand corner just under the large box there are 3 boxes, be sure to switch the underline that is under the far left box to the far right box.
5 - Render and tweak until the superimposition looks the way you want.
Old December 17th, 2001, 06:33 PM   #6
Doconomus

Hey:

Generally, I do what dr_pepper does; this allows me to better judge the opacity with the two shots because you can change the "transparency level" on track 2 by tapping the down carrot (like you would to alter audio). But I do believe that it renders a tad slower by using transparency tracks than if you do a simple additive dissolve. One good thing about using transparency method (Using track 1 AND track 2) is that you can set any duration of "dissolve" that you would like, and have that 50 percent look you're going for. If you find a quicker method that does not take a long time to render, let us know!

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Old December 21st, 2001, 12:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Much appreciated everyone! Both methods worked well.
Old February 5th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Adobe Premiere 6 - limitation on exported AVIs

Can anyone tell me how to set Premiere 6 so that it does not have a 20 minute limitation of exported AVI files?

Thanks!
Old February 5th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #9
Trustee

Brad,

It's probably a limitation of your hardware or your OS. If your using Win 98 your probably limited to a 4 GB file as this is the FAT32file system limit. If your using Win2k or XP change to NTFS and this should remove your file limit. If there is still no change then it's probably a hardware limitation
Old February 5th, 2002, 02:35 PM   #10
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Capturing to Premier - newbie question

If I use frame mode with my XL1, is it non-drop frame or drop-frame 30fps NTSC in Premier? I also notice that there is no selection for progressive frames, would you use "no frames" in the keyframe section and if exporting to an mpg2 encoder, would that also be the progressive setting? Also, if you capture at 60 fps or higher, would those settings in Premier change? Oh yeah, while I'm here, if I shoot with my XL1, does it matter what you capture from as I use a JVC DV deck to capture and print back to tape? In addition, is there a work around for the audio drift when capturing more than 15 mins. of footage?
Old February 7th, 2002, 05:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

That's probably it. When I built this computer I did format the drives to FAT32. It is a Win2K system. However recently I had turned off Norton to do some editing and an email came in with a virus. The computer hasn't been the same since, so I need to format and do a clean install of Windows anyway.

Thanks for the tip!
Old February 7th, 2002, 01:58 PM   #12

No takers? Ok let me make it easier.

Is the XL1 30 FPS non-drop frame or drop frame?
Old February 7th, 2002, 04:37 PM   #13
Regular Crew

You can change the format from PHIGGIDY-PHAT32 to NTFS without reformatting. I have the method written down somewhere but I am too lazy to go find it now. You have to reformat anyway for other reasons so it would probably be redundant.
Old February 8th, 2002, 03:30 AM   #14

Tough question?

Who was buried in Grant's Tomb?
Old February 8th, 2002, 06:41 AM   #15
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Grant's Tomb was built specifically to bury Grant, on a new burial site, and he was buried alone. With that in mind, the answer to your question is "No one."

Change the tense, though, to the present...and well, then we all know the answer... ;)

Wish I could help you with the real question...but I can't. Don't know anything about Premiere and it's capture settings.

Be patient, though...there's a pretty sharp crowd roaming through these forums and I'm sure you'll eventually get an answer.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite