Optimizing CS4 Adobe Media Encoder for performance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 19th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Optimizing CS4 Adobe Media Encoder for performance

Hello gang,

I have been noticing amazing speeds when converting numerous Premiere CS4 timelines via Adobe Media Encoder. It seems that AME (Adobe Media Encoder) shines best when used in a separate AVI to H.264 conversion rather than transfer from Premiere timeline.

18:37-minute Standard Def. AVI file (720X480, 29.97fps) dropped into AME to be converted to SD H.264 MP4 (720X480, 24P, 3mbps, 320kbps audio) utilizes 96% of the CPU power with memory usage hovering around 1.28GB. And do you know how long it took to convert? Only 14 short minutes! I must mention that in the task manager I have set the "priority" level on AME to "realtime", PProHeadless to "realtime", Premiere to "high", and ImporterProcessServer to "high".

8:41-minute SD AVI (720X480, 29.97fps) from Premiere timeline to SD H.264 MP4 (720X480, 24P, 3mbps, 320kbps audio) utilized only 31% of the CPU power with memory usage hovering around 1.1GB, taking almost 18 minutes to convert.

As you can see there's some CPU/memory leak when transferring footage from the Premiere timeline compared to the lean performance of stand-alone AVI drop into AME to convert to H.264 format.

The most CPU-hungry beast in the task manager was PProHeadless.exe, reaching up to 89% of CPU utilization, albeit the memory usage, maxing out to 530mb.

I am using a PC running on WinXP Pro x64, consisting of quad-core Q6600 @2.4GHZ, 8GB Corsair DDR2 RAM, 150GB WD Raptor as C:, 1TB Samsung HD103UJ where all video/Premiere project file(s) were stored, 300GB Seagate Barracuda as a scratch disk, there are other drives attached that were not used for this review.

I welcome you comments and suggestions related to better optimizing Premiere CS4 and AME (Adobe Media Encoder) performance.

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite