CS3 to CS4, is it worth it. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 30th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Major Player

CS3 to CS4, is it worth it.

I am considering upgrading from CS3- CS4 to help with my tapeless capture solutions, but wonder if my programs like Magic Bullet, Cort, Cine Form will still work?

Any of you guys upgraded and wish you had not.
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Trustee

The gating item, if you wish to continue using Cineform, MB, etc. will be checking with those vendors to see when their products will be supported under CS4. I'm not moving without support for my add-in tools.

One other item that is keeping me from moving to CS4 are the reported issues with the new release. Now I know there are many out there happily creating with CS4 and I'm happy for them. But after going through months of tuning to get CS3 working right on a new machine a year ago, I am less than enthusiastic about rushing into a conflagration with CS4. But that's just me.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm staying with cs3 as well, an upgrade in Europe is very expensive compared to what you get in exchange, I'm waiting until a cs5 or even cs6 version will bring some real useful features that could justify the large upgrade sum.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I upgraded, but have not been able to use it because of no Cineform support yet.

It depends on your workflow. For me it does not make sense without Cineform support.
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Since I discovered Neo Scene, I'm in no hurry to upgrade from CS3. I'm now editing AVCHD files quickly - and everything is just so stable.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Trustee

Just to clarify, there is already 'some' Cineform support, in that you can open, edit and render Cineform files ... however acceleration is lacking so editing is sluggish. The Cineform folks have said there will soon be an upgrade, followed by free updates, that will progressively bring full functionality to CS4. That was originally scheduled to begin around the end of January but seems to have slipped by a few weeks.

Some people have reported success for MB Colorista, but other's havent - at least on PC. I think MB Looks is OK. (Red Giant have a CS4 compatibility table for all their software on their site). Not familar with Cort.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would stay away from CS4.

So far for me it has been so buggy it is unusable.
David Moody is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite