DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   I7 CPU using PPro CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/142866-i7-cpu-using-ppro-cs4.html)

Bill Rankin February 1st, 2009 04:41 PM

I7 CPU using PPro CS4

Does anyone have a I7 chip computer that they are using with PPro CS4? If so, any problems or advise you would like to share. I am considering this upgrade and have talked extensively with others in the Vegas thread. I presume PPro folks would have the same positive results.

Harm Millaard February 1st, 2009 06:57 PM

What do you mean? The i7 is great, but I don't understand your question. What positive results?

Bill Rankin February 1st, 2009 07:45 PM

I was asking if you had any problems with using the latest CS4 with the latest CPU. But I meant to add "with a 64 bit system."

People in the Vegas thread say there is a tremendous difference operating their Vegas application using this new CPU. I am just double checking about PPro, albeit a bit overly cautious. Both are very new.

Jeff Anselmo February 2nd, 2009 12:38 AM

Hi Bill,

Recently upgraded to an i7 system (should have it on Tuesday) and I'm wanting to upgrade to CS4 (from CS2) as well. But I also have Cineform Aspect (want to also upgrade to Prospect) and they won't have support for CS4 for at least a few weeks. So...

I'm keeping CS2 until the Cineform support. I'll also be running XP Pro (for now) cause Vista doesn't support CS2 (according to Adobe). Plus, I have projects waiting to be finished while I upgrade.

So, I'm also very curious how CS4 will operate with 64-bit Vista, and with an updated Cineform Prospect. I wanna know if everyone will play nice with each other :)

Best,

Bill Rankin February 2nd, 2009 08:41 AM

Jeff A. - that's my questions too, except I don't use Cineform. I am not in a big hurry, so I'll just keep watching the threads for a few more weeks.

Roger Wilson February 2nd, 2009 02:23 PM

I've got an i7 64 bit system, running Vista 64-bit. I have both CS3 and CS4 loaded on it. I'm waiting on the CineForm upgrade, so most of my work has been in PremierPro CS3. However, I've done some testing and playing around with HDV (non CineForm) footage in CS4. I have not run into any new problems with the i7 processor. (Upgraded from a Dual Core system).

My i7 has more RAM and better video card so performance comparisions will not be fair, but rendering with CS3 and CineForm is much faster on the i7 than the Dual Core. I don't have any way of comparing performance of CS4 as I no longer have the dual core system.

Bill Rankin February 2nd, 2009 08:46 PM

This article says CS4 needs the 64 bit platform. Not required though.

EventDV.net: The Moving Picture: CS4 at 64

Jeff Anselmo February 2nd, 2009 10:33 PM

Hi Roger,

Which video card are you using with your i7 system? (And do you run Magic Bullet Looks/Colorista on your system?)

Best,

Jeff Anselmo February 2nd, 2009 10:37 PM

Hi Bill,

Hadn't got a chance to read all the way through, but it's an interesting article so far!

I think by and large, upgrading to an i7 processor is a good idea (if you can afford it). And since I had a budget of $2000 for a PC upgrade, that's exactly what I did.

Also, David Taylor at Cineform had adviced me that since CS4 is a 32-bit app, running Vista 64bit will be more stable cause of the extra RAM usage. (Hope to get my new PC this week, but won't be able to test the Vista 64bit theory until later on :)

Best,

Roger Wilson February 3rd, 2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 1005635)
Which video card are you using with your i7 system? (And do you run Magic Bullet Looks/Colorista on your system?)

Jeff, I'm running the nVidia Quatro FX3700 to drive 2 Dell 24" widescreen flatpannels (2408WFP). I am not running Magic Bullet Looks/Colorista.

Jeff Anselmo February 3rd, 2009 10:26 AM

Thanks Roger. I was also looking at the nVidia Quadro cards, but couldn't quite afford it in my new system. Ended up with a Geforce 9600 GT card instead.

Best,

Marty Hudzik February 3rd, 2009 03:43 PM

Slightly off topic can anyone quantify the actual effectiveness of Nvidia GPUs accelerating Magic Bullet or Colorista? I have a GEFORCE 7950 and it is still slow as molasses. I never really thought it helped much but perhaps I am missing something.

Thanks

Tilford Bartman February 3rd, 2009 08:32 PM

RE:Current Options

I'm upgrading my computer this weekend with Intel i7 920, 6gigs DDR3 1600, ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard, BFG 260 GEFORCE 896 ram, 150 gig WD Raptor System Drive, 300 Gig Seagate Applications Drive, 1TB G-tech ESATA external in software raid for video, ESATA Blue Ray burner, DVD CDRW Burner, on board sound (it's decent on this MB) but may install sound card?

OS- Vista Ultimate 64bit

Option 1: Plan to install Premiere CS4. I would like to use Prospect HD for it's real time and excellent codec, and Blackmagic Intensity card for overlay of time line to an HDMI external monitor, and perhaps later ingestion of 8 bit HD through HDMI once I have a better external raid array.

I'm waiting to see if Blackmagic, Cineform, and CS4 in 64 bit Vista will become a working reality? If so I will buy it right away.

Option 2: Alternative is to install my Matox RTx2 that I had running on my old Machine. They have new Matrox Tools Version that is for CS4 64 bit Vista, and you can overlay with RTx2 through DVI to an external monitor. Problem is that right now Matrox Tools RTx2 appears to be very full of problems with CS4 in 64 bit Vista, and I am not looking for a hair pulling project.

Option 3: Edius 5, with their HD spark card that has just HD out to external monitor. Apparently this all works well with 64 bit Vista. But I don't know Edius that well, and am much more familiar with Premiere, and also will have Photoshop and likely will have After Effects on my machine. Edius has great stability and excellent real time performance, but much less feature rich than premiere.

Any thoughts. . . anyone? Right now I think I'm going to be in a waiting mode more than anything else. There really doesn't appear to be any great option?

I do mostly 20-50 minute documentary on DVD of the history, culture, and genealogy of small villages on Polish Russian Boarder, but will now have Blue Ray option. I use motion video, quite a few stills, transitions, sometimes picture in a picture, etc. Sometimes music in the background and/or narration. I also just play around with video since days of Bravado MJPEG card, just prior to DV.

Tilford

Jeff Anselmo February 3rd, 2009 10:32 PM

Hi Marty,

Don't know if you've already seen this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...aspect-hd.html

But they're discussing that very issue at the moment.

From my experience with my old Dell Dimension 8400, I uninstalled an old ATI card (128mb?) and installed a Geforce 8400 GS 512MB card, running on a Pentium 4 3.2GhHz processor (with hyperthreading :), 2Gigs of Ram, and fortunately has been pretty stable. Can't really give you some speed numbers, unfortunately.

Best,

Marty Hudzik February 5th, 2009 10:09 AM

I appreciate your reply and I am glad it is running stable for you. I know both Nvidia and ATI can be stable but I am wondering if there really is a difference with Magic Bullet or not. If you used it with your ATI then switched to the Nvidia, wouldn;t you think you'd notice if it were even just a little faster?

I also appreciate the link but that thread is discussing specific harware overlay issues with Cineform products. I was asking about acceleration for Magic Bullet or Colorista utilizing Nvidia GPU power.

THanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 1006238)
Hi Marty,

Don't know if you've already seen this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...aspect-hd.html

But they're discussing that very issue at the moment.

From my experience with my old Dell Dimension 8400, I uninstalled an old ATI card (128mb?) and installed a Geforce 8400 GS 512MB card, running on a Pentium 4 3.2GhHz processor (with hyperthreading :), 2Gigs of Ram, and fortunately has been pretty stable. Can't really give you some speed numbers, unfortunately.

Best,