CS4 and 64bit Vista - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 18th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks, although i don't want to highjack the thread, my question essentially is........

As far as CS4 is concerned (Dynamic link, AE, PPro etc...), will it make a difference whether i use Vista 64 bit vs. XP Pro 64 bit?
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Question:
Is there anything inferior using XP Pro 64 bit vs. Vista 64 bit?
Yes - lack of hardware drivers and likely incompatibility of software designed for Vista 64 bit. And a general lack of 64-bit software. Otherwise the same benefits apply regarding 2GB space per 32-bit process etc. One other issue - there's no retail version of XP Pro 64 so obtaining a license and media may be tricky.

BTW, I often use XP Pro 64 and believe it hits the sweet spot for Windows - very nimble and stable. It shows its pedigree with Server 2003 (as does Vista).
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Thanks, although i don't want to highjack the thread, my question essentially is........

As far as CS4 is concerned (Dynamic link, AE, PPro etc...), will it make a difference whether i use Vista 64 bit vs. XP Pro 64 bit?
32-bit applications designed for XP (32-bit) will most likely run on XP Pro 64. It is 64-bit applications written for Vista 64 that may not run on XP Pro 64 because Vista has features/functions that developers may use that aren't available in XP Pro 64. But 64-bit applications are still few and far between.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM   #19
Trustee

I'm looking at moving to CS4 Production Premium with the upgrade special good until the end of next week. If I do, I'm considering putting another 4GB (total of 8GB) into my Dell XPS 420 and installing the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate.

Will I see a noticeable improvement (i.e. worth the total $650+ upgrade) or would I be better off saving the cash and living with CS3 on a 32-bit system?
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
32-bit applications designed for XP (32-bit) will most likely run on XP Pro 64.
I have XP Pro 64 and Premiere Pro 2.0 will not burn a DVD from the timeline as it used to on my old system. I'd upgrade to CS4 if I wasn't worried that the program would not work properly. XP Pro 64 is not listed as being supported by CS4.
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #21
Major Player

Problem with XP64 is that it`s FAR less compatible than Vista X64, there are LESS drivers for less devices. XP64 is more of an afterthought, Vista 64 is better suited for everyday use, including video production. Believe me, I`ve worked with all of them, on variety of machines and variety of applications.

After all, it`s 2009. Don`t go with OS that has been designed in 2000 for 1999`s hardware.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #22
Trustee

Personally, I'm using XP64 with CS3 and CS4 while I wait for Windows 7. And I've had no compatibility problems at all (its a video machine not a general use one).
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #23
New Boot

Hey guys,

Any recommendations for which version of Vista 64 to get that will bog down CS4 the least? I'm leaning towards Vista Business SP1 64bit, because someone mentioned that there's less extraneous programs going on in the background.

thanks
Alex Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #24
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

So far we have had excellent results running CS4 and Vista64 on our DIY 7 machine. Core i7 with tons of ram

Videoguys DIY 7 article is now posted Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' DIY7: Intel Core i7 with Vista 64 Intel i7 running Vista64

It's official - Videoguys now recommend Vista 64 for video editing. Check out our Vista 64 Tips & Tweaks Videoguys Blog - Videoguys Tips & Tweaks for Windows Vista 64

And finally an Adobe white paper on running CS4 64bit Videoguys Blog - Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium 64-bit - Accelerate your HD workflows with 64-bit optimization

Gary
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #25
Trustee

Some thoughts here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/high-defi...t-version.html
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #26
Regular Crew

CS4 + Vista 64 Ultimate

Having recently moved from a dual core system Vista 32 3gb RAM to a Core I7 Vista 64 bit 12gb RAM, all I can say is WOW. The interface is extremely responsive, no 'Out of Memory' warnings, rendering times have been slashed and not a single crash. I have mine set up as the Hidden Super Administrator account, which by default turns off the UAC and have followed Adobes own recommendation re the paging file size (search the Adobe site and you will find it) and haven't experienced any issues what so ever.
Brett Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #27
New Boot

Hey guys, thought that this was interesting on the premiere products page at adobe, they are advocating the 64-bit systems. It doesn't seem to say specifically Vista 64, but you know...

video editing software, digital video editing | Adobe Premiere Pro CS4
Alex Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite