DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS3: Reference Monitor not playing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/145163-cs3-reference-monitor-not-playing.html)

Mike Rinkunas March 5th, 2009 08:53 AM

CS3: Reference Monitor not playing

Hey everyone...

I'm trying to use the Reference Monitor to check my levels, and it is not playing back with the program monitor. I do have the 2 monitors "gang"-ed and when I stop playback on the program monitor, the reference monitor jumps to that frame. But no live playback...

What am i missing here?
~Mike

Adam Gold March 5th, 2009 11:59 AM

That's what mine does too. I just assumed it was supposed to be that way and no live playback was possible (or even necessary).

Tripp Woelfel March 5th, 2009 09:24 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the way it works. Mine only updates once playback stops. Kinda silly, but it might take more processing power than most computers have to playback and update the scopes at the same time.

Adam Gold March 5th, 2009 09:28 PM

I just assumed color-correcting was not like riding audio levels in a mixer... that you need to make your corrections at a fixed point in time that apply to the whole scene, making any needed further adjustments via keyframe.

You can tell I don't do a lot of color correction...

Tripp Woelfel March 5th, 2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1023063)
I just assumed color-correcting was not like riding audio levels in a mixer... that you need to make your corrections at a fixed point in time that apply to the whole scene, making any needed further adjustments via keyframe.

True. That's the way I do it, and I do a lot of it.

DISCLAIMER: Athough I think I know what I'm doing, I'm self-taught and there's no guarantee that my workflow bares any resemblance to that those who actually do know what they're doing.

Martin Catt March 5th, 2009 09:48 PM

Same behavior with me. It would be nice to watch levels alongside the actual video, but no go.

Martin

Peter Manojlovic March 6th, 2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Rinkunas (Post 1022695)
Hey everyone...

I'm trying to use the Reference Monitor .. But no live playback...

What am i missing here?
~Mike

What you're missing........Is a REAL Vectorscope....

There's a reason why colorists, or post houses, pay huge wads of cash for realtime hardware systems...
RGB parade on Premiere is great for people like me who only need approximation, and reference...

Jiri Fiala March 6th, 2009 03:57 AM

That`t true, but Vegas can do it, FCP can do it, Avid can do it and Premiere can`t.

Tripp Woelfel March 6th, 2009 07:17 PM

Here's a news blast for you all. You can actually get a near real time view of the the V-scope and parade display. Click in the reference monitor window and press the spacebar. Only problem is that the video doesn't play, just the scope and parade.

I don't know if the reference was ganged to program. I didn't check and I'm not sure I remember how.

Gerald Webb August 29th, 2011 02:14 AM

Re: CS3: Reference Monitor not playing

Hi all, found this old thread while Googling for an answer.
Has there been any update to Premiere in the latest version to allow you to watch RGB waveforms AND video at the same time?

Gerald Webb August 29th, 2011 03:53 PM

Ok then,
Anyone know of a plug in to give you live scopes?

Bart Walczak August 30th, 2011 07:38 AM

The only "plugin" I know is BlackMagic Ultrascope... hardly a viable solution for tight budgets.

Live scopes are on my wishlist for Adobe. There is a workaround that involves essentially ganging source and program monitor, but you are losing possibility to do any effect manipulations on program monitor then, and I found it tedious to say the least.