Deleting the end part of a clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 26th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #16
Inner Circle

If I do decide to use the Crop effect, do I need to render a preview before I export the sequences? Is there a way to export/render many sequences at once?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Overscan is indeed a leftover from good old 'analog times' - it was needed because the analog circuitry could not be calibrated for the picture to fill the screen, due to electronic component tolerance. With the new fixed pixel digital displays this could be dropped, but because compatibility with older TV sets has to be maintained, overscan is still in use.

However, different manufacturers approach the issue differently, and the general tendency is to reduce overscan. While some old CRT sets have manufacturer recommended overscan of as high as 10%, today some LCDs go as low as 5% and I've even seen 3%.
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofran View Post
If I do decide to use the Crop effect, do I need to render a preview before I export the sequences? Is there a way to export/render many sequences at once?
1. No, there is no need to render.
2. Not that I know of. If you have to do this on 80 hours of footage, you're going to have some serious time management issues!

A much better option for cropping would be to use a program capable of batch encoding, like ProCoder. Procoder can also be set to improve the footage if needed.
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
1. No, there is no need to render.
2. Not that I know of. If you have to do this on 80 hours of footage, you're going to have some serious time management issues!

A much better option for cropping would be to use a program capable of batch encoding, like ProCoder. Procoder can also be set to improve the footage if needed.
I'm starting to see advantages as a FCP user I took for granted.

I have two PCs so while one is capturing I can edit ones that have been already captured and copied to an external hard drive. But yes I'd have to have that ability to make it worth my while.

thx
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #20
Major Player

There is no theoretical need for overscan/underscan on LCDs, but I think some margin is still being cut for exactly this reason - there ARE artifacts in both digital and analog video.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite