CS4 - XDCAM EX - laptop editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 28th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Major Player

CS4 - XDCAM EX - laptop editing

anyone using adobe CS4 with EX files on a laptop. I'm planning a new edit setup and this is one of my choices. Do you get realtime editing? I won't be doing any graphics intensive work, just basic editing; cuts, disolves, titles, audio sweetening, color correction, burn to dvd.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I did a shoot in Texas a month ago, and did all the shooting with an EX1. I took my HP laptop and did some basic editing with CS4. Worked fine. I don't have the most powerful laptop around, but I was able to put together something basic. I then moved the project to my workstation when I got back to finish it off.

I would really recommend if you're planning on doing all your work on a laptop, buy the most powerful one you can afford - don't go cheap. I've got 2 hard drives in mine, and I'd recommend that as well - one for just your media. Get as much memory as you can afford, and as fast a processor as you can get.

From my experience, PPro CS4 works great with XDCAM EX footage.
Eric Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Eric

What processor, ram and graphics card do you have on your laptop?

XP, Vista, Vista 64?

Did you get real time editing out of that setup?

I'm looking at dual 2.8ghz processors, 4g ram and I can't remember the graphics but it is the fastest available, plus vista 64.

Thanks
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Major Player

I would definitely recommend Vista 64, as it`s the only system out there to fully utilize power of modern hardware. XP 32 doesn`t come even close. Especially with CS4.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Jiri

Do you use a laptop for editing EX footage? Please describe your system and the results.

Thanks
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
Eric

What processor, ram and graphics card do you have on your laptop?

XP, Vista, Vista 64?

Did you get real time editing out of that setup?

I'm looking at dual 2.8ghz processors, 4g ram and I can't remember the graphics but it is the fastest available, plus vista 64.

Thanks
That set up should serve you well - it's faster then what I've got on my laptop. I'm running Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 2GB RAM, Vista 32, and a 256MB NVIDIA card - not sure of the exact model.

As for realtime editing, if by that you mean I can see effects without rendering then no - for smooth playback I need to render. But PPro isn't really set up for realtime effects. Now, on my workstation, I don't need to always render clips for smooth playback - but that's a FAR more powerful machine.

I use the laptop for creating basic edits out in the field. I can usually lay all the clips out, create some titles, add some transitions, maybe some effects, but the real work happens back on the workstation. But I get good performance from the laptop.

With DV footage, I've done whole shows out in the field - PPro CS4 on my laptop works great. With HD footage from the EX cameras, I just do basic stuff and it works fine.
Eric Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Ed, I don`t, I have just JVC HD110 HDV camcorders, but Vista 64 is the only system to fully utilize 4 gigs or more anyway. And you NEED that kind of gear for CS4 to be anywhere near acceptable.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite