DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Windows media is not working due to Premiere 6.5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/19141-windows-media-not-working-due-premiere-6-5-a.html)

Adam Brennan January 2nd, 2004 10:50 AM

Windows media is not working due to Premiere 6.5

I installed Premiere 6.5 on my computer and noticed that any MPEG file will not play with my windows media player. I do a windows restore previous to the premiere install and it works fine.

I get an error message that says this:

Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

What is causing this to happen? I checked the file types and the "Mpeg" file portion is checked.

This is aggrevating that it does this. Now if I save my MPEG file to disk, then it plays it fine. I think when it streams a MPEG is where the problem occurs.

Any ideas?

Rob Lohman January 2nd, 2004 11:02 AM

So how are you streaming mpeg? Cause I only play them from
my disk usually. The thing with WMP (Media Player) is that it
cannot play media by itself. It is using codecs to do this for it.

When you open an MPEG in WMP (from the harddisk or the web,
makes no difference) it will look to see if it can find a registered
codec for that filetype (mpeg in this case). If so, it lets the codec
handle the file otherwise you get an error that it can't play the
file.

If WMP crashes when playing back an MPEG file then the problem
is most likely with the MPEG codec. Now since you have nailed it
down to Premiere my guess is, is that it installs a system wide
MPEG codec (instead of just for itself). Sounds like a typical Adobe
thing to do.

You might want to (re)install a software DVD player like WinDVD.
They also install an mpeg codec on your system which should
then overwrites Adobe's one again. This should also work with
Premiere, but not garantuees there, ofcourse.

Adam Brennan January 2nd, 2004 11:40 AM

Rob,

I will try that. I appreciate your knowledge and will post results.

Adam Brennan January 2nd, 2004 04:14 PM

it didn't work. Grr!

Ed Smith January 4th, 2004 06:46 AM

Adam,

I once got a "Catastrophic failure" (yes thats what it said) error message while playing an MPEG IBP file I created with a codec that was not on my machine

what sort of mpeg is it (codec, type would be good)?

It might be worth noting what codecs are there before you install Premiere and then see if there is any change afterwards.

To find the codecs installed on your computer:

Goto device manager> open up the sound, video and games controllers> double click on video codecs> then click on the properties tab, there it will show you all the codecs on your machine.

Try this and report back if you find any differences.

Cheers,

Ed

Jeff Klein January 4th, 2004 01:27 PM

Hmm...I wonder if this might be what's causing the similar problem I'm having (just posted today "AVI problem in Windows XP")? I get jerky AVI performance in both Premiere and WMP on my church's XP computer. You're reply leads me to think maybe there is a codec problem. The strange thing is, it didn't affect my Win 2K computer at home which I also installed Premiere on, but I _didn't_ install the Pinnacle software that came with my church's XP computer's DV500DVD capture card. Would that software have had codecs as well and possibly overwritten the Windows XP or Premiere codecs?

Jeff K

Rob Lohman January 4th, 2004 04:29 PM

That's quite possible. DV hardware boards have been known to
install all kind of codecs. Since I don't own such boards I can't
tell you what codecs it will or won't install.

Arnaldo Paixao January 6th, 2004 04:35 AM

That's why I like dual boot so much.

Jeff Klein January 6th, 2004 05:37 AM

Arnaldo, could you explain a little more? I'm not sure what the advantage of dual boot would mean in a situation where incompatible codecs may have been installed.

Jeff K

Arnaldo Paixao January 6th, 2004 08:35 AM

I'v had situations where I had a perfectly working system ruined by simply installing a program wich in turn changed settings, codecs and some more.

Because since than I have dual boot in all my machines, I have one windows to work and another to test. In some cases, because of incompatibility between programs I use one windows with a set of programs and the other windows for the other group of programs.

Even if all your programs work perfectly together, having a second partition with another windows installed and all the programs and settings you normaly use on it, gives you an ease of mind wich is priceless.
I was finishing a project with a tight deadline when my Windows XP 1 went mad. After the first chill on my spine, I rebooted, selected Windows XP 2 and went on working.

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Jeff Klein January 6th, 2004 11:42 AM

Ahhhh, I see. Good idea, I'll keep that in mind <G>.

Jeff