DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   24p in premiere (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/23117-24p-premiere.html)

Ben Gurvich March 18th, 2004 08:20 AM

24p in premiere

I am going to shoot a project on dvx100 (pal) in a few months time. Just wondering about the 24p thing, will Premiere 6.5 accept it straught or will I need a driver of some sort.

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich

Sean McHenry March 27th, 2004 12:39 PM

Premiere, like any editing system will accept the footage from the AG-DVX100 (series) as the footage recorded is not in 24p but in 60i. The camera is doing a film pull "up" to 60i as that is the only way to be ableto play the tapes in anything else. It's a neat thing to do really, otherwise you end up with a useless format on your tape that you can't play anywhere - like that worthless JVC HD camera. Records (pseudo) HD as an MPEG-2 stream on the tape and you have to play it out with either their D-VHS deck or the camera as composite, S or component - analog and no longer in HD.

So, yes, Premiere, Avid, FinalCut and anyting else can work with the AG-DVX100 cameras.

If you were actually asking if Premiere can reverse the pull "up" and actually edit in 24p, there is a plugin I hear for it that will allow you to reverse the pull up and get back to raw 24p.

As a pesamist, I have to ask why someone would bother? In the end, unless you are going to do a film transfer, your output will still need to be in 60i as that is the DV format spec. If you want to be albe to play the tape you will spit out of your editor, it must be 60i again.

What you would end up doing is this, camera works in 24p, records in 60i, editor reverses it to 24p, final tape will be 60i. Why all the up and down? Leave it at 60i and edit.

Sean McHenry

Brett Erskine March 27th, 2004 01:58 PM

All true - except you forgot the benifits of 24P DVDs. Its a true 24P file (less space on DVD and high bit rates are possible) and if your playing back on a true progressive DVD (like most are these days) the DVD player is reading the extra flags in the code which tell it to repeat certain frames to bring it back to NTSC stansards. This is how nearly all professional DVD's are created - for good reason.

-Brett Erskine

Ben Gurvich March 27th, 2004 08:34 PM

Cheers,

Im from PAL land, im guessing its the same scenario?

Paul Del Vecchio March 31st, 2004 08:29 PM

hey Brett

Brett, can you expand on what you said about the DVDs? I plan on filming a few projects and the final format will be DVDs, maybe some videos, but I'm pretty sure mostly DVDs. I was wondering if I should just edit it at 60i and export it that way or should I do what you are talking about and make 24p DVDs?
Thanks,
Paul

Nick Medrano April 26th, 2004 12:30 PM

The new Adobe Premeire Pro 1.5 upgrade will have HD and 24P capability. It will be released in May.

John O Brien May 6th, 2004 03:55 AM

The PAL release of the dvx-100 shoots @ 25p oposed to the NTSC's 24p.

Glen Elliott May 6th, 2004 01:05 PM

The DVX100 shoots in two 24p modes, 24p and 24pA. 24pA (or 24p Advanced) uses a 2-3-3-2 pulldown compared to the standard 2-3 pulldown used in 24p and 60i modes on all cameras. 2-3-3-2 allows perfect extraction of the full 24 frames per second while editing avoiding stutter frames you'd get with 2-3. Stutter frames are the fields that end up being mixed and can cause a hassle if you end up cutting on one, etc.

Personally I work in Vegas and DVD Architect. Vegas allows 2-3-3-2 pull-down removal so you can edit in native 24p. Yes you DO have to render back out to 60i but DVD Architect adds flags to the footage for your DVD player to decipher the original 24 frames thus making it a true progressive-scan DVD. I don't know much about Premiere's new upgrade including 24p and HD...but as far as I'm concerned why make their loyal fans "PAY" for something that they should have had included in the first place. Adobe is playing catchup and making the customers "pay" for it...but that's opening a whole can of beans. Take care- hopefully some of this helped.

Nick Medrano May 6th, 2004 01:17 PM

Yea, if you look at the adobe forums, you'll see that a lot of people are upset with Adobe right now. Each side of the debate is presenting some worthy arguments.

However, if you purchased Premiere Pro from April - May, you'll get the 1.5 upgrade for free.

Michael Richard May 6th, 2004 01:58 PM

$99 dollars is not a lot of cash for this upgrade to PPRO 1.5 from PPRO 1.0. (see details below). Vegas 5 is $199 upgrade. I am happy for the new features and 24pA support since I'm a DVX-100a owner. PPRO is a powerful feature packed NLE and this update makes it significantly better.

Project management tools
Quickly remove unused material from your project and consolidate the project's media into one location for easy archiving with the Project Manager.

Panasonic 24P/24PA support
Capture the look of film with support for new Panasonic 24P/24PA format cameras.

Bézier keyframe controls
Create more natural, elegant-looking effects using sophisticated, spline-based Bézier keyframe controls.

Effects favorites
Set your effect parameters for a keyframe, and then save them as presets you can apply anytime to ensure consistency from one project to another.

Support for HD content
Meet the highest production standards with support for importing, editing, and delivering HD content.

Auto-color adjustment
Automatically improve image quality using Adobe Photoshop® style filters, including Auto Levels, Auto Color, Auto Contrast, and Shadows/Highlights.

Project-ready Photoshop files
Quickly create a new image in Photoshop with the resolution and pixel aspect ratio of your current Adobe Premiere Pro project (some features require Photoshop CS).

After Effects plug-in compatibility
Access the plug-ins from your installed version of After Effects directly within Adobe Premiere Pro for even more visual effects.

After Effects clipboard support
Simply copy and paste between Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.

AAF and EDL support
Easily import and export project data with support for Advanced Authoring Format (AAF) and Edit Decision List (EDL) format.

Glen Elliott May 6th, 2004 02:14 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Richard : $99 dollars is not a lot of cash for this upgrade to PPRO 1.5 from PPRO 1.0. (see details below). Vegas 5 is $199 upgrade.

In all fairness Vegas 5 isn't an incrimental upgrade/patch- it's a *new* version. Vegas's incremental uprades/patches are and always have been free.

I am happy for the new features and 24pA support since I'm a DVX-100a owner. PPRO is a powerful feature packed NLE and this update makes it significantly better.
I agree it does make it significantly better. What I mean by playing catchup is:....
Project management tools
Quickly remove unused material from your project and consolidate the project's media into one location for easy archiving with the Project Manager.
Vegas's media pool has always had this...one click and it purges all unused media.

Panasonic 24P/24PA support
Capture the look of film with support for new Panasonic 24P/24PA format cameras.
Even the older version of Vegas has had this for a long time now.

Bézier keyframe controls
Create more natural, elegant-looking effects using sophisticated, spline-based Bézier keyframe controls.
Vegas 5 already has this.

Effects favorites
Set your effect parameters for a keyframe, and then save them as presets you can apply anytime to ensure consistency from one project to another.
Vegas has always had the option to save effect parameters of various filters combined to easily apply it to other media without having to painstakingly try and reproduce the effects manually.

Support for HD content
Meet the highest production standards with support for importing, editing, and delivering HD content.
Vegas supported HD during the same time it supported 24p in the 4.0b patch a long while ago.

Auto-color adjustment
Automatically improve image quality using Adobe Photoshop® style filters, including Auto Levels, Auto Color, Auto Contrast, and Shadows/Highlights.
Vegas doesn't have any "auto" adjustments.

Project-ready Photoshop files
Quickly create a new image in Photoshop with the resolution and pixel aspect ratio of your current Adobe Premiere Pro project (some features require Photoshop CS).
Doens't matter, Vegas is format and resolution agnostic.

After Effects plug-in compatibility
Access the plug-ins from your installed version of After Effects directly within Adobe Premiere Pro for even more visual effects.
Very nice- AE has some awesome plug-ins.

After Effects clipboard support
Simply copy and paste between Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
n/a

AAF and EDL support
Easily import and export project data with support for Advanced Authoring Format (AAF) and Edit Decision List (EDL) format. -->>>
This option or lack there of has been the gripe of many Vegas 4 and 5 users alike. Granted I don't have a use for it but it's notable that Vegas does not support true EDLs.

This is what I meant- a lot of the "new" features have been in Vegas for a while and Adobe is just playing catchup and making YOU pay for it...which is irritating. The upgrade/patch for Vegas 4 that added 24p and HD support was absolutly free.

Nick Medrano May 6th, 2004 02:48 PM

Not to mention that, but a couple of these features were already included in previous versions of Premiere Pro, such as the project management tools and others.