DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   ATI HD 4850 Graphics card and CS4 compatabliity? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/234659-ati-hd-4850-graphics-card-cs4-compatabliity.html)

Tyson Persall May 4th, 2009 06:05 PM

ATI HD 4850 Graphics card and CS4 compatabliity?

Hello.
I formally was running a Nvidia 8800GT graphics card with premiere and everything worked well. I upgraded to an ATI HD 4850 and since then things have not been so smooth. Of course it could just be my machine but i am wondering if anyone out there has the same GPU and is working fine with it. I noticed on the Adobe 3rd party hardware compatibility list that the 4850 is not listed. However older ATI cards are. Why have they not updated the list?? all the cards are from like 2 years old at newest.
Well, I think i may sell my 4850 now. I am thinking of getting a new Nvidia Geforce 285.

Adobe - Adobe Premiere Pro CS4: Third-party hardware compatibility

Harm Millaard May 4th, 2009 06:38 PM

Adobe is usually two to three years behind with their supported hardware list. That is their common practice. However, I have not experienced any difficulties with my 4870 card. It works great and no stability problems whatsoever, even slightly overclocked.

Steve Lewis May 4th, 2009 06:39 PM

I have Adobe CS4 and a Dell XPS Studio desktop with the 4850 card, no problems so far... what do you mean by "things aren't smooth"

-Steve

Tyson Persall May 5th, 2009 07:42 AM

Nevermind, card not to blame

Well i just bought a 9800GT to test it and i have the exact same problems so the 4850 must have been fine all along.

The probme i am having is one particular project that will not save properly. I project formally from CS3. Projects i created native in CS4 seem to work fine in my initial tests thus far.

Bob Hart May 5th, 2009 07:56 AM

I have an intermittant problem with an ATI card. It seems to be related to the fit in the socket on the motherboard. There is also a short conductor on the strip. I don't know whether this is purposed or whether it might be a faulty card.

When it goes a bit weird, I take the card out, give the slot on the motherboard a bit of a clean and re-assemble, which seems to fix it for a while.

Harm Millaard May 5th, 2009 07:58 AM

This can also point to a faulty or underpowered PSU, that is showing signs of capacitor aging.

Tyson Persall May 7th, 2009 05:35 AM

After extensive testing, I can conclude the card, nor any hardware is the blame. I took the project and opened it on a newer computer and the same problem occurs. It will not save. So the project file itself is to blame. Im not sure what to do but at least we know its not hardware related.

Tyson Persall May 7th, 2009 09:52 PM

Missing video Codec.

I figured out the problem ... It was a missing video codec that was causing the problem all along. I had not installed Blackmagic Intensity codecs for MJPEG video files that were in the project. I forgot i captured a few shots with blackmagic intensity and the new Vista 64 bit instalation had never had the blackmagic card in it or the drivers installed, so the project didnt know what the files were and it crashed. Wow, glad i solved this problem. Cant believe i didn't realize this now.

So for any of you out there, make note that if you use any files with exotic codecs in your project it might need them to open the project on another computer... I dont think this was listed on the adobe possible problems list.