Using 1 clip many times at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Using 1 clip many times

With CS4 how can I use different parts a clip in the timeline?
In Avid Liquid I could mark different in and out point then drag the source to the timeline then do it again in the same clip without the previous edit being effected by the new in and out points.
Am I missing something in PP Pro?
John Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:06 AM   #2
Major Player

It should work the same - just select the clip in Project bin again, make your In and Out and put that into timeline. Premiere should affect the original clip in the timeline only if you bring it to the Source by doubleclicking in the timeline (if I am clear).
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Do as Jiri suggested or make a number of Subclips from the main clip. If unsure, search the help and it will show you how.

Griffin Video Productions - Sydney Wedding Videos and DVD
Brett Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys.
I like your website Brett. I live and work on the Gold Coast.
Another question.
If you want to trim a clip on the timeline, what is the quickest technique?
Currently I either extract which implies marking in and out points on the timeline or place the CTI, trim back to it then I delete the space created.
Both take 3 steps. Is there a better way?
Cheerio John
John Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #5
New Boot

I've not got CS4 but assume that it has the same tools as previous versions. Try playing around with the ripple edit, rolling edit and slip tools - they each offer ways of editing a clip on the timeline with different consequences for the clips adjacent to them.

James
James Henley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

John

Like James said, play around with the slip tool and others, but I do the same as you, I'll select the clip I want to trim on the time line, use the ripple edit total and 'roll back' either the head or the tail of the clip
Brett Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Drag the original clip from the media browser to the source window, set in and out points, select clip > make subclip, give the new subclip a name. It will then appear in the browser as a separate clip. Don't click on the clip on the timeline, it will edit that clip, you have to start fresh from the original clip in the browser...hth /Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team PS you can control-click (win) or option-click the clip in the project panel and it will open as a subclip
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Major Player

The fastest way to trim in Premiere is IMO ripple editing with selection tool (V) and CTRL being held simultaneously. That`s an awesome tool I still miss in Final Cut.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite