where are my names? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Major Player

where are my names?

I'm using macbookpro with clipbrowser with Sony XDCAM EX files. I loaded in a LOT of clips and named every one of them before transfering them to hard drives.
Now, I open Premiere CS4 and the media browser only shows a quicktime icon. After I move the clip into the source window, the title appears. I changed the choices of what is displayed in the media browser to show "name" but all I get is the quicktime icon.

How do I get the names of my clips to show in the media browser?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Anybody? Nobody? Somebody?
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

CS3 Had great support for XDCAM EX. CS4 does not. It is beyond me as to why they would destroy this functionality.

Maybe try to re-wrap the file into an MXF from clipbrowser. A few have mentioned that this helped.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Actually, PPro 4.1, at least, does import XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD files; read about it here:
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * Start an HDV or HD sequence

While I have APPro on windoze, I assume that the same presets are available in the Mac version.. btw, I wonder if, in re-naming the clips, they lost their link to the program and need to be reconnected in some way. A mac should recognize the file type, I think; in windows, of course, you need a file suffix or the programs don't recognize what they are, perhaps something similar is causing a problem....the renaming thing, at any rate, sounds like a clue to the difficulty....

hth/ Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Major Player

premiere cs4 will edit my EX files. That's not the issue. I spent a lot of time naming 200 clips for easy identification. All for naught. The premiere media browser won't display that data. It only shows a quicktime icon. I looked at all the options in the media browser display and nothing works. So I have to blindly click on every clip to see what it is. When the clip displays in the preview window, my names show up on the tab. So it's there, premiere just won't can't display it in the media browser.
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Here is Adobe's answer to this question...

"The Media Browser does not display the metadata for files, simply its
filename and location. If you would like to be able to easily
differentiate between your files in the Media Browser you will need to
change the filename rather than adding a name in the metadata for the
file."

What will I be getting into if I change the filenames?
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Major Player

never got a response to this.

Are any of you editing Sony XDCAM EX footage on Premiere? If so, how do you handle searching through 100 clips that are all named some random number?

I'd like to archive a lot of clips for future use. I'd like to be able to see the names I give the clips when I use premiere. How do I do that? Switch editing packages for something else?
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Major Player

I don't have a Mac and I have an NX rather than an EX, but I regularly change the file names of the AVCHD files from the NX flash memory and memory cards. On a PC, using a file browser (Finder on the Mac?) shows each clip has two files with different extensions on what is otherwise the same name. One file is the video which has an "m2ts" extension on it, the other has metadata etc and has the extension "cmuprops."

When you change the file name, you have to do it for both the cmuprops and mt2s file and they have to have the same name. For instance, if you want to rename a file as "Cam 1 Bouquet Toss," and they recorded files are "123456789.mt2s" and "123456789.cmuprops," you have to rename them "Cam 1 Bouquet Toss.mt2s" and "Cam 1 Bouquet Toss.cmuprops." If I change only the mt2s name, then then the Adobe PPro media browser on my computer will show me that I have a file but won't display a name, which sounds like what happened to you.

On my computer, PPro's media browser will only show files with specific media extensions --- say, "mt2s" --- and won't show the cmuprops extensions, so I don't use the media browser to change the names. I use the Windows Explorer file browser which shows both files together and when I change the name of the first file then cut and paste it over the name of the second file being careful not to change the file extension.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite