To load or Not to load CS4??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

To load or Not to load CS4???

I have these very old versions of PP and AE. So I've now purchased the Production Premium suite and it's going to arrive tomorrow. I'm planning on using Neoscene with them. NOW......I'm reading all these complaints and horror stories about CS4 and not sure what to do. What would you do?
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Trustee

David,

I have used every version of Premiere since 5.1, progressively expanding from Premier Pro 7.0 through CS2/CS3 Production Studio to CS4 MC and while there were things that Adobe missed or messed up, in general the program has gotten better with each version.

The horror stories you hear, I hear as well, since I'm a regular on the Adobe forums. But the common denominator is usually limited to three things:

1. They are complete noobs who have no idea what they are talking about and refuse to read the help file or manual. They often have never heard the word codec, or have downloaded codec packs that were free, polluting their system, use consumer cameras with material unsuited for editing or try to edit material ripped off YouTube and the like.

2. In their complete lack of understanding what they are trying to do, they use their iPhone, digital still camera or other mobile Phone, combine that with screenshots from various games, use FRAPS and the like and complain they can't get a decent BR disk burned.

3. Their hardware is not up to the task and they are not willing to accept that.

Usually these kind of people rant about instability, refuse to give answers to define their problem as if they were guarding State Secrets, possibly because they often use pirated software.

End of my rant and frustration.

CS4 has some problems, but overall it is a big improvement over CS3. I suggest you start using it. I have been using it for around 6 months and I'm happy I made the move to CS4.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been using Premiere as long as Harm has, and I agree with him completely.

CS4 isn't perfect, but it's great...it never gets in the way of me getting my work done. Most people who complain (not all, but a LOT) have other issues that are getting in the way of CS4 working smoothly - Harm listed them all.
Eric Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM   #4
New Boot

I use CS3 at home and CS4 at work (along with AVID). I agree, there are some nice things in CS4 so I would install it. I don't have a need to upgrade at home but wouldn't hesitate doing it. I like the new media encoder that comes with CS4.

Having said that, I have had more crashes with both Premiere and Encore than with CS3 but I save frequently so that isn't a problem :) Have never lost anything.
Alan Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I'm mucho relieved. I'm not doing anything fancy. I have a DVX100 and now a HF-S100, and a blu-Ray burner. I will be messing with AE and Trapcode suite.
I know about ranters. I wasn't expecting to run into them here.
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I have been using Premire pro since 2005 (1.5) and have upgraded to 2, 3, and now 4. It is a great editing platform. It does have its limitations and its quarks but once you understand those you can easily plan accordingly.

Enable auto save for every 20 minutes, store 100-200 copies ( that way you can always go back if something corrupts). Just 1 tip out of many you can find on these forums

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite