DV Rack - very nice if it works as advertized - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 31st, 2004, 07:34 PM   #61
Regular Crew

by all emans, this would be a big market for you cus many folk now have to use Pro Tools etc just to get the extra audio in...please do it
Kent Dammand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 02:40 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Any news on whether you are going to implement a very basic editing rack into dv rack?

I suggested this quite a while back, but got no definitive response.

My post is on the first couple of pages, but basically a rack that would allow you to drop and trim you clips into. I am talking very basic here, just to be able to get a rough cut instantly without having to leave dv rack?

I think this is a very good idea - what do you say?

Lawrence
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM   #63
Serious Magic

Lawrence,

I entered your suggestion for a timeline queue with mark in/out capability into our list back when you first proposed it. We batted it around then and, as I recall, the idea got a round of approving nods. That said, I make no guarantees about when or if any idea will be implemented--with nearly eighty feature requests on the list, the competition will be stiff when the time comes to select the feature set that we will add to 2.0.

My apologies for not posting a reply back in September,
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Murph,

You can be sure that DV Rack will not work with any PC emulator on a Mac. DV Rack requires not only Microsoft's DirectX but DirectShow as well. It also uses the hardware overlay surface of the graphics card. If you want to confirm this for yourself with any emulator company just ask them a.) DirectX b.) DirectShow c.) support for hardware overlay surface on video card.

We wish it did work as that would be cool and we'd love to bring this unique functionality to the Macintosh. The tough part is that DV Rack is doing some rather difficult things and to do so it is making maximum use of the resources in the PC. That kind of app is very difficult to emulate.
Mark Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Kent,

Regarding recording additional audio inputs into separate .wav files on the PC hard drive. If we were to support this, what kind of hardware input do you think the customer would be using? The typical "Sound Blaster"-style input is not going to be high enough quality for serious work.

Secondly, there will be a problem synchronizing the WAV file on the hard drive with the audio/video in the DV clip on the hard drive. Whatever sound card is used is certain to initiate it's file at least several samples (or maybe thousands of samples) off from the DV file. I'm not sure there's any way our software can overcome this limitation of the hardware. So users will be left with doing some kind of audible clapboard marker in each clip to allow the various files to be aligned in the editor. Would this be a problem?

--- Mark
Mark Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #66
Trustee

Ok Mark, I understand...and will probably end up getting a cheap laptop PC to do DV Rack stuff.

Murph
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Well, the audible clap is how we do it now running a seperate system. So it wouldnt be as usful if thats all you did but would still be possibly better than running 2 systems.

On the PC, most programs access ASIO or Windows Wave drivers which i think makes the particular card irrelavant. you might look at Camtasia Recorder to see how they access audio inputs. if you had asio you could access more pro cards though.

You might look at scripting latency offset features that are common in Pro Audio apps and may help in this question.

timestamping?

i guess the real supreame implmentation would be a way to have a sync mechanism built in so that disk and tape audio and timestamped and could be dragged into a nle from one location.
Kent Dammand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite