Serious Magic DVRack - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 31st, 2004, 06:55 AM   #76
Major Player

DVRack Rebate

Just curious if anyone that purchased DVRack during the rebate period has received a check? I posted this question over on the SeriousMagic site and received no (useful) response. It's been at least six weeks since my request was submitted and still nothing.
Old December 31st, 2004, 01:42 PM   #77
Regular Crew

I got a confirmation by e-mail before Christmas confirming my submission was valid and in the final stages of processing but no check as of yet.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:42 PM   #78
Serious Magic

Ed,

Sorry that no one here at Serious Magic addressed your post on our forum two weeks ago. You caught us during an extraordinarily busy time--three product releases in a week followed by the usual scramble to tie up loose ends. That's no excuse for dropping the ball with a paying customer, though.

In any case, someone here contact the third party that handles rebates for us tomorrow to check on the status of yours. You should hear something from them or from us before the end of business tomorrow.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:02 PM   #79
Major Player

Thanks for looking into it Mark. I notice that Hart received a confirmation email after submitting his rebate request. I don't recall ever getting anything like that.

Sorry if you thought I was saying I had posted on your forum six weeks ago with no reply. What I meant was that I submitted the rebate request six weeks ago. That might not have been clear from reading my post.
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #80
Regular Crew

DV Rack Contest Winning Videos Now Viewable

The winners of Serious Magic's DV Rack "Give Us Your Best Shot" Contest have been announced! The winners are viewable online now at:
http://www.seriousmagic.com/bestshotresults.cfm

Along with production stills and notes.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to the many excellent entrants.

--- Mark
Mark Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #81
New Boot

DVRack and 24PA incompatible?

Hello, all!

During a shoot using the demo version of the DVRack software from Serious Magic, we ran into a possible problem.

We're shooting on a DVX-100A and were configured to be in 24 frames, progressive, advanced pulldown. The DVRack was acting as our hard disk recorder.

When we pulled the AVI files into Final Cut Pro HD for editing, FCP saw all the files as being NTSC standard 29.97 fps. Selecting the file and choosing "Tools->Advanced Pulldown Removal" got the error "there is no advanced pulldown to remove!"

Cinema Tools wouldn't even recognize the AVI files to open them at all.

Any ideas on how to get 24PA to work from DVRack into FCP?

Thanks,
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #82
Barry Wan Kenobi

I've used DV Rack/24PA in Vegas and it works perfectly. DV Rack records what's coming out the firewire port, which should be an identical clone of what's on the DV tape.

I'd recommend posting this in the FCP forum, as I'm 110% certain that the files DV Rack records are perfectly DV-compliant 24PA files.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM   #83
Serious Magic

Hi Doug,

DV Rack records whatever the camera is feeding it, which will be a 29.97fps "pulldown" of the 24PA footage. It doesn't write anything special in the file header "flagging" the footage as 24PA.

Does FCP have any special "capture mode" when capturing 24PA footage, like a special setting you have to make to inform FCP you are capturing 24PA?

how does FCP handle 24PA footage captured in other programs, like iMovie?

Do you have any 24PA footage from a previous shoot on tape you can test with? Try playing back the tape, and capture with DV Rack in Quicktime format, and import the footage. Does it also give you the error message?
Karl Soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:14 PM   #84
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Karl Soule : Does FCP have any special "capture mode" when capturing 24PA footage, like a special setting you have to make to inform FCP you are capturing 24PA? -->>>

It does have a setting which will instruct it to remove advanced pulldown when pulling from tape, yes.

<<<-- Originally posted by Karl Soule : how does FCP handle 24PA footage captured in other programs, like iMovie? -->>>

Hmmm... I have never used another program to capture footage. I can give it a shot in Combustion and see what happens!

<<<-- Originally posted by Karl Soule : Do you have any 24PA footage from a previous shoot on tape you can test with? Try playing back the tape, and capture with DV Rack in Quicktime format, and import the footage. Does it also give you the error message? -->>>

DVRack can capture in QuickTime format? That is also helpful to know.

The trouble seems to be in that there is no option to remove advanced pulldown during an import session, only during a capture from tape session. There is a menu command for "Remove Advanced Pulldown" but that's where the error message comes up.

I'll do some more poking around and see what I can find. Thanks for your help!
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM   #85
Serious Magic

Hi Doug,

If you are editing in FCP, you should definitely be capturing in QuickTime format. FCP prefers QuickTime, and it could be that the "Remove Advanced Pulldown" option only works with native QuickTime files.
Karl Soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #86
Regular Crew

can Dv Rack flip the image?

just wondered, can the incoming video be "FLIPPED" and recorded that way? reason being anyone using the adapters (like the micro35 or other "homemade" adapters) to get better DOF using 35mm lenses for a "film' look has the problem of the image being upside down(others can describe this more acurately than me) . this requires us to "flip" it in post. (unless they have used a prism device or other relatively expensive approach) it would be great to have a program like this that would record the image directly from the camera (with this adapter) already flipped.

any chance this is already something that can be adjusted in Dv Rack?

if not, please put it on the list. there is a large number of people out there trying to achieve a more filmic look using these adapters and would find your product an invaluable tool if this were part of it (see the alternate imaging forum).

thank you,
Marc
www.zenimage.com
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #87
Barry Wan Kenobi

Not with DV Rack, no. DV Rack records the raw unmodified signal, and only the raw unmodified signal. It can't and won't do anything to the signal. DV Rack's tools let you monitor the signal in all sorts of ways, but not modify the signal.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #88
Serious Magic

Marc,
That's a new one on me. I've added it to the list. As Barry explained, DV Rack records the DV stream directly without touching it in any way, so I seriously doubt we will be changing anything in the recorded clip. However, we may at least be able to flip the image for display in the Field Monitor.

Thanks,
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #89
Regular Crew

Just flip it in your NLE. You're gonna' stick it in your NLE anyway.
That's how I do it.
Dennis Sladek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #90
Regular Crew

yes thats how i (we) do it now but it requires that the footgae be rendered. if im shooting a whole feature with a 35mm adapter then im going to have a lot of footage that will need to be rendered before editing. i am looking for an easier way to manipulate the image without having to waste all that render time in edit. it would be easier for us (adapter users) to be able to record the flipped image directly to hard drive during the shoot. it would be nice to have that option in a program like Dv Rack.

but having Dv Rack at least be able to flip the field monitor image would be nice though.

maybe someone out there will be able to write a HD recording program that can simply flip the image as it records. ;}

thanks, i like the program and will get it and the ultra program for my next project that needs it.

thanks, marc
www.zenimage.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite