please, jerky footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

please, jerky footage

I just cant understand why I cant get footage to play smoothly.

Ive been trying this none stop, every way i can think now for 3 days as it must be dine by tomorrow.

Here is the problem,

I have a old dvd with archive footage, I need to take that footage and move it to a new DVD with menus on it etc.
The main feature works fine, although Ive had to use a rip sound and the renamed vob files.

The special features part of the DVD contains new footage which is on another disk. I did the same method, move the vob files over, renamed them and used some ripped sound that i managed to get when I first tried to convert them to .mov

Anyway, I render out of premiere to mpeg-2 pal dvd and goto encore. With the footage on a timeline I can use the monitor to see its nice and smooth.

When I burn to an ISO and check the footage is very jumpy and jerky. However its not all the footage. the main feature works fine, most of the seprate news files work fine, just the odd one or two of the news files are jumpy and unwatchable.

I have burn a disk and tried it on lots of dvd players but its all the same.

Can someone please help as im going mad.
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

im now trying using MPEG stream clip but what setting should I output to?
AVI, MOV, DV???
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Are you using proper bitrates during the rendering/encoding process? Most DVD players that I've dealt with over time have trouble playing back smooth video at bitrates higher than 7.5MBPS. Try using a lower bitrate and see if that helps. Also, what speed are you burning your disc at? I've found that while several kinds of DVDs are rated for burn speeds up to 16X, I always run into choppy video if I burn a disc at those speeds. Another thing you might want to try is burning a disc at 1X, 2X, or 4X and see if that resolves your problem. Hope this helps!
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Major Player

It might be that you need to "render" the jerky footage . . . are you getting a red line?
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Trustee

It sounds like you've put a setting wrong somewhere. Pay close attention to the bit rates. As Shawn said, some players don't like high bit rates. I wouldn't dump your existing workflow just yet. If it works for the old footage, it should work for the new stuff too.

You might also want to try the disk on different players to see if it acts differently.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite