Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 133 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #1981
Inner Circle

I never heard bfore that previewing with the camera was possible at real time.
the half to 1 second of delay sounded always normal to me.
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #1982
Regular Crew

stills not smooth

Hey guys,
Quick question, I'm using premiere 6.0 and my stills don't seem very smooth when using a cross dissolving into video or another still. They are also choppy when I use the motion and zoom into them. I deinterlace them and fool around with the fields options but they are still not really smooth. Any help?

XL1-s
Bogen 503 head
Sony wireless
Adobe Premiere 6.0
Matrox RT2500
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #1983
Trustee

i only use scenealyzer for capturing, so i wouldn't know what the editing apps are capable of... if you are saying that things like premiere pro and sony vegas can't capture the second pair, yeah, i'd be disappointed if i tried doing it with those apps, and it didn't work.
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1984
Trustee

at what point in the edit is it falling apart, and where are you watching the picture... computer or tv?
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #1985
Regular Crew

Watching it on a TV and then on all out put video files too. It's a choppy rendering type of thing. It happens through out the clip.

XL1-s
Bogen 503 head
Sony wireless
Adobe Premiere 6.0
Matrox RT2500
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:55 AM   #1986
New Boot

Hmm... It never occurred before, with any version of premiere. That means 6.0, 6.5 and finally 7.0.

Everything was completely real time and perfectly synched until I got 7.5.

I even used to run sound from the computer and video on the monitor and it was all in synch.
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #1987
Major Player

If your pics are stills from the video footage you can't zoom in on them as the qualitys not there.

If they are scanned photos or from a digital camera then there should be no problem with them at all.

If they are stills from the footage go into the field option and select flicker removal as this will help the picture a bit but you still won't have the quality to zoom in on the image.
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1988
Regular Crew

When doing the the motion and zoom effects in 6.0, are you litterally using the motion settings? I'd suggest try using the Transform filter instead, you have a lot more control with it.

Last edited by James Llewellyn; December 5th, 2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1989
Regular Crew

Scenalyzer Live is so far superior to Premiere's capturing that I wouldn't even consider using it if Adobe did add the feature to capture more audio channels. Scenalyzer is among the best money I ever spent for my editing suite.
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #1990
Major Player

Biggest project Pro 1.5 can handle?

Premiere Pro 1.5 is beginning to slow for me and I wonder if anyone has similar problems. I run a 2.4 ghz box with 2 gig of ram. The issues I run into a things like-
Project Manager hangs calculating project size (works after restarting Prem)
Project does not load (works after restarting prem)
Takes a moment (couple seconds) to change between sequences

The project I'm working on is usually under 100 gig and is pulling from up to 300 gig of tapes at any time. Yes that is big, I shot over 200 hours for the project. There are multiple documentary timelines that could be over an hour long, and music video timelines with tons of cuts. I haven't checked lately but the project probably works off of some 400 AVI files.

Premeiere is really taking it in stride, I must say, it still edits like a champ and the only time it's ever stopped or died was in Project Manager. 100g is the biggest the project can ever be. I just delete worthless footage then do Project Trim's, reload the 300g with more "tape" then start over again. However the problems with loading/managing/etc make me wonder if I'm coming close to some kind of limit. Thanks for any advice!
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #1991
Major Player

Simulating head clog

I have footage where the camera got hit and I want to make it look like the tape cut out for a second. (Think of the part in "Jackass" the movie where a golf cart drives into a camera by accident.)
I have a couple ideas involving keying out an animated mask, putting a still of the video behind it, and maybe adding a decimate effect or similar, but was curious if anyone has done something like this.

**Edit: this played out slick in my mind, but the sequence is so fast that having it in there would confuse viewers. It worked on Jackass since they drove towards the camera for a few seconds. Still interested in what people do, certainly I'm not the first to have pondered this :}

Last edited by Jeff Miller; December 5th, 2005 at 11:38 PM. Reason: I can't delete posts
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #1992
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Miller
Does anyone have a better definition? For ex, if it's not on a timeline it gets junked?
That's my understanding of an unused clip. I don't know what else it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Miller
Also, has anyone opened a trimmed project and discovered that the sound for some random clip has been rerendered into a continuous half-second loop?
Hasn't happened to me yet.
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #1993
Regular Crew

I don't think the total size of video files really matters in the responsiveness of PPRO. IMO, it is more a factor of the number of source files (not size), the number of cuts, effects, keyframes, etc.: in other words. the complexity of the project. The size of the pproj file would be probably be a better indicator than the size of the video folder. In your case, 400 AVI files isn't a whole lot, so I doubt this is the problem. I've had many projects with thousands of video files. I tend to do edits with lots of short cuts, so even a 5-min short will have hundreds of cuts. Anything longer easily goes in the thousands.

For me, the same project will slow down once I start adding A LOT of audio and video effects, even if they're all rendered. But multiple-nested sequences is easily the worst offender. It gets my P4 (2.4Gh, 2GB RAM) to CRAWL.

So, when you ask what's the biggest project PPRO can handle, I'd look at the size of the pproj file first.
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #1994
Major Player

Good point.
Last time I looked, the project file was about sixteen meg. Ironically it just quit loading, giving me some starsky c++ error.
"Don't Panic" is the thought of the moment, but it's a thought rather hard to apply.
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1995
Major Player

Premiere gives "PathUtils.cpp-213" error when loading project

I had a monster project that when trying to load, would report a scary looking:
\dev\starsky\Libraries\Asl\Foundation\Src\PathUtils.cpp-213

This usually means your scratch disks are ill-defined, messed up, or something. The fix is:
-Start Pro and load a blank project.
-Make sure that it's scratch disks, and preferences in general, are set to sensible parameters.
-Import the project that you could not get to load.
-You probably need to tweek your windows and stuff a bit but your sequences and clips will all be there.
-Fix yourself a stiff drink and bask in not having to recreate past days at the console.

I can't take credit for this, it was found here:
http://adobe.groupbrowser.com/One_Se...on-t42819.html
Just had to share, since this tip just saved me Two Irreplaceable Days of hard work. The reason this happened to me was because I did something unmentionably stupid with my scratch disk settings. Premiere put up with it too, but eventually it fell down and I thought I was stuck using an old backup. Now I can sleep soundly (right after that stiff drink)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite