Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #346
New Boot

premiere 6 to pro 1.5 upgrade

I currently have premiere 6 and will soon be buying pro 1.5 and upgrading my pc to amd xp3200

My question is - is it fine to install premiere 6 and then the UPGRADE to 1.5 or am i better to purchase the pro 1.5 FULL version?

Are there any differences between the two and where would you suggest buying it from?

Many thanx
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #347
Capt. Quirk

The upgrade would likely be the full version, rather than a patch.

As far as having both versions on the same drive, I can't see any reason to do this, except for older filters that might be left out of the newer version. I can't see why you can't, but it might be best with one or the other.

You would be best off using a clean install to avoid conflicts.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #348
Wrangler

It is always nicer/safer to do a clean install of the latest software, but if the price is significantly less for getting Prem 6.5 + PPro 1.5 upgrade than just getting full 1.5, I'd say go ahead.

I just realized recently that I forgot to uninstall 6.5 on one of my computers when I upgraded to PPro 1.0. Also subsequently upgraded 1.0 to 1.5 with no issues. In the process of trying to help a fellow DVinfo member, I tried the old leftoever 6.5 version I noticed that I had in my start menu, and it worked just fine.

And I gotta say, as clunky as 6.5 felt compared to PPro 1.5, I have NO problem complying with the license agreement to uninstall the old version! But, at least on my system, they did both co-exist just fine.
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #349
Major Player

I just upgraded from 6.5 to Pro 1.5 and I can verify what Keith said -- the Pro 1.5 Upgrade is a *Full* version. You *do not* have to have a previous version installed to upgrade -- just pop in the Pro 1.5 disc and it will ask you for the valid serial number for your previous version. Enter in your 6.0/6.5 serial number and Pro will install fine. It's always better to do a clean install this way instead of trying to upgrade on top of an existing installation.
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #350
Major Player

Very true on the clean install. dll files and other shared resources can cause conflicts.
BUT! Some previous projects might have difficulty opening in PPro. So far my machine has been just fine with both versions onboard. I often need to open projects in old premiere due to the third party titles that are not supported in PPro.
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #351
Regular Crew

But what do I shoot in? 60i or 30p. I know people apply certain settings like deinterlace.
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #352
Major Player

James,

You should check with the film transfer facility you will be using for the filmout. They will have specs they want you to use. They may even have camera settings to use while shooting.

If you are unsure, then the rule of thumb is shoot 60i at 1/60 shutter speed. Most of the software packages (Magic Bullet, DVFilm Maker) recommend these settings for 60i to 24p conversion. Shoot, convert to 24p, edit in a 24p timeline, and have a 24p file ready. You may have to convert this back to 60i using 2:3 pulldown for transport on tape.

Films put on DVD are encoded as 24p on the DVD, and played back in NTSC at 60i with 2:3 pulldown.

Josh
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #353
Major Player

I'm confused. If you aren't shooting with a progressive camera, then you can only shoot in 60i. 30p isn't an option for you (at least when shooting).

There is a whole section here at dvinfo devoted to this subject, called, easily enough, Towards a Film Look Using DV. That should give you hours of informative reading.

For Premiere-specific questions, there is a section here called Attend the World Premiere that may have some info for you archived in it.

EDIT: by the way, your profile says you use a DVX100 as well. What happened to that one?
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #354
Regular Crew

We're up in the air about using it. We want to have that choppy grainy look to the film. We shot another project on the DVX-100 and came out great. I saw the film Bamboozled (shot on the VX-1000) and loved the way it looked. 30p looks to close to24p to me on the DVX-100. Sony keeps the interlaced which works for some and not for others.
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #355
New Boot

Thanx for the replies guys :)

I dont plan to have both 6 and pro running at the same time.
I just was going to install 6 first as i already own it and then "upgrade" it to pro 1.5.

From what ive read here it appears that after i install xp on my new system i just install the upgrade of 1.5 without having to insert my 6 disc? just using the origional 6 code as verification?

If so that is what i will do as its cosiderably cheaper :)

Where would you suggest purchasing it from?
B and H have the 1.5 upgrade for $199 (us dollars)

Thanks again, Nathan
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #356
Wrangler

I think $199 is the going rate for the 6.5 to PPro 1.5 upgrade. You can even download directly from the Adobe web site for that price if you want. I don't recall whether you have to insert the old disc, or can just type in the old version serial number...used to be that the Adobe products searched the hard disk, or if necessary, the old version disc. But can't remember if they changed to just having the serial number or not. Whichever way it is, it'll be simple.

BTW, PPro does use Product Activation. The single-user license allows you to have an installed copy on up to two computers: your main computer and one laptop OR work computer.
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #357
Major Player

30p is not appropriate for film out.
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #358
Regular Crew

Hey Billy,

Sorry about the late reply. It's when I apply the PROC AMP. It's really strange.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #359
Trustee

Heck, for $25 you can sign up for a month at http://www.lynda.com and take my Premiere Pro 1.5 tutorials and still have time to take the After Effects and Photoshop tutorials.

And it is current, not an old version like the one you mentioned.
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #360
Regular Crew

XL2 and Premiere Capture...

When I capture my 16:9 24P footage on Premiere, the footage looks squeezed in the CAPTURE window, but looks wide again when I play the footage back after capturing. For anyone that is capturing XL2 16:9 on PPro 1.5 - is this the way it should look when capturing or should the capture window display the footage in wide?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite