Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:27 PM   #571
Major Player

Color Correction Integration with PPro 1.5 and AE 6.5 Pro

Does anybody know if PPro Color Correction settings integrate into AE 6.5 Pro and vica versa? Meaning, if I adjust the curves in Premiere Pro 1.5, will this setting stay intact and be modifiable in AE 6.5 Pro? I know in PPro 1.0 and AE 6 Pro this was not the case. Being that AE 6.5 now has monitor preview via firewire this question may be irrelevant. Thanks.

Kevin
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #572
Major Player

Premiere preview

Was wondering since premiere 6,5 only does dv previews in realtime ,is the same also for premiere pro and pro 1,5?
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #573
Wrangler

Hi Charles,

With Premiere 6 you had to choose the real-time preview option. That technology I think is the same with Premiere Pro, except now everything uses the real-time preview.

Hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #574
Wrangler

Hi Mark,

when you are using the non-matrox settings, you won't be able to use the Matrox hardware. When you are not using the Matrox hardware you can use your camera as a digital to analogure convertor so you can preview what you are editing on your TV.

Hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #575
New Boot

Widescreen?

I been making lots of film in 16:9 and they all work when i play then in my DVD player on my TV has 16:9. what i do is I import my xl2 shots into premiere i export then from premiere has avi, then bring it into encore and make it a widescreen dvd ( the menu and everyting widescreen) but my question is when i show the dvd its not widescreen on my freinds dvd player. And the great xl2 isnt so great when its 16:9 streched to full screen. But it you buy a retail dvd at like best buy in widesceen its always right 16:9 so it cant be the tv. Am i missing a step when i make the DVD? I need it to be showen in 16:9 ON ALL dvd players. HOW?
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #576
Major Player

Thanks. I needed that.
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #577
Major Player

Sounds like your friend is using a 4:3 tv with the DVD player set to a 16:9 monitor. Go to the DVD player setup menu and make sure it's set to 4:3 LB (letterbox) if you're using a 4:3 screen.

Hope this helps.
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #578
New Boot

Thats it thank you very much your the man.

But one thing how come if you buy a DVD at the store in widescreen its forsure widescreen on your dvd player and you don't need to change anything. What are they doing to there DVDs that I am not?

Anyways thanks for the help this will make my next big movie forsure widesceen!!!
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #579
Regular Crew

calibrating monitors/tv

how have you guys calibrated your monitors for editing?

i know to reduce colour to zero, then adjust brightness, then contrast, then restore the colour, and i have a PAL testcard, but a lot of this seems to be subjective judgement.

is there a way of producing a 'standardised' calibration?

incidentally, is there is a website that will guide me through calibrating my monitor?

ps, i am using a TFT screen. i know, far from ideal, but don't have too many options.
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #580
Trustee

Try http://videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

Regards,

Mark
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #581
Wrangler

I've often wonderered about those monitor calibration probes, like the Spyder which have gotten cheaper in recent years. You can choose the desired gamma, etc. with these... would they work for getting an LCD computer screen closer to NTSC?
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #582
Inner Circle

Hey Boyd I'm wondering that too. Issues to watch out for though:

A- Computer monitors will never exhibit interlace flicker. If you are starting out in DV, I highly highly highly recommend hooking up a TV to your editing setup. A TV will be much more accurate to what people will see for reasons like this. Other things to watch out for are chroma crawl and lower resolution over composite connections, illegal colors, editing programs not showing full resolution or both fields, and overscan.

B- LCDs may not have the same color gamut as TVs. It may be a better idea to use a CRT.

C- Using a calibration device like the Spyder may allow you to correct for the monitor's color innaccuracy and color drift. However, I'm not sure if your video preview will display the corrected image (which would totally defeat the point of using the Spyder). It might be that only Photoshop can do the correction??????
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #583
Wrangler

One other thought... you need to clearly define your goal for the video you're editing. Personally, I'm not interested in broadcasting my stuff, and I don't want to give up any bandwidth to make it "broadcast safe." For the most part, I'm editing projects that will be shown on high powered LCD or DLP projectors. From my previous (admittedly limited) experience in this area, an LCD monitor gives a very good idea of what to expect on the projection screen. In fact, it was much more accurate than what I saw on a good Sony production monitor sitting next to the projector up in the booth. In this scenario, you can actually tune the projector to match your LCD screen, so you can sort of have your cake and eat it too :-)

Your mileage may vary of course...
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #584
Inner Circle

Boyd, you raise a good point which I didn't consider. I generally assume people are outputting to a television format and not projection or web/internet.
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #585
Major Player

I had the same problem previewing some of my shots from my XL2 this past weekend. On my Panasonic DVD player, the shots were outstanding, letterboxed as they should of been. On my Cyberhome (comparing 24p and 30p simultaneously) it was full screen and terrible artifacting. Turns out my Cyberhome was set to 4:3 pan & scan for Widescreen. One flip of the remote and all was great.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite