DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/34666-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2005-a.html)

Scott Silverman September 21st, 2002 04:48 PM

Adobe Premiere 6, L and R Channel Seperation?

I use Adobe Premiere 6. How would I seperate the left and right channels off my DV camera in order to put them on my timeline as two seperate audio tracks? When I import my stereo audio into AP6, it comes in as one stereo track. How can I make this 2 seperate tracks? When I export my final video back to tape how can I make both of the audio tracks be on both the left and right audio channels? Thanks!!

Ed Frazier September 22nd, 2002 07:38 AM

Hi Scott,

One way would be to copy the audio track and paste the copy on a second audio track. Mute the left channel on on copy and mute the right channel on the other. (Right click the audio track and select Audio Options)

Scott Silverman September 22nd, 2002 01:42 PM

Thanks Ed,
I thought of that. Then the only problem, is when I export my project back out, the left channel will still be on the left and the right will still be on the right. I need the left chennel to be on both the left and right channel, and the right channel to be on both the left and right channel. I couldn't find anyway to do this. Thanks for your help.

Ed Frazier September 22nd, 2002 03:48 PM

In that case, copy and paste as suggested above but instead of using the mute option, use the duplicate left channel command on one track, then duplicate right channel on the other track. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, this should work. I use the duplicate channel option to effectively mute the opposite channel while still providing audio to both the left and right channel.

Scott Silverman September 22nd, 2002 03:56 PM

Ed,
That sounds like it should work. I will test it to make sure, but it sure sounds like it will work.

Thanks!
Scott

Teague Chrystie November 12th, 2003 10:03 AM

Premiere Capture Woes

Hey guys.

My XL-1s and my editing proggy seem to not like each other. Premiere will only capture one or two scenes (2-3 minutes of footage, for example) before it WILL NOT capture anymore and the application needs to be restarted, or at least a new Movie Capture window opened.

I tried using Windows Movie Maker to capture, which works, but it too gets mad at my DV.

It says 'your camera has problems, refer to your manual' or some crap. I just open a new Record (It's called Record in WMM, Movie Capture in Premiere) window and it works.

While this isn't life or career-threatening, it is irritating, and a mega time waster.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks for your time.

Fig

Ed Smith November 12th, 2003 11:17 AM

You might have a dud firewire port either on the camera on on the PCI card. Check with another DV camcorder.

Did you set the device control in Premiere to Canon XL1? or generic?

Try these and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Ed

Christopher Hughes November 12th, 2003 07:12 PM

What Windows system you running on? Cos, if I remember right, older versions of Windows, or even Win200 that has Hard drive FAT32 configured drives have a 4 Gig limit, as opposed to NTFS configured drives, or XP which does it automatically that can allow larger files of any size.

That could be your problem why it cuts out after 3 scenes, as its reached the 4gig limit.

Or you could have a dud firewire, but when I have had a dud wire it would not even capture to start with, not cut out after a short while.

Teague Chrystie November 13th, 2003 11:20 AM

I'm using Premiere 6.5 on XP Home.

I haven't adjusted the camera type.

It's not a size issue, either. I HAD 60 free gigs, until I cleared out the raws from my latest project. Now I have 100.

Arthur To December 18th, 2003 02:36 PM

i using win 2k.

premiere 6

brand new xl1s recieved, just plug and play.

its not the cam. its software conflict or problem

-arthur

Don Palomaki December 19th, 2003 05:16 AM

Be sure you have current drivers, and the correct type camera selected in your capture application.

Harry Doyle December 21st, 2003 10:20 PM

i had the same problem using a gl2 with windows xp and premiere 6.5. i was able to remedy the problem by closing the capture window, then turning the camera off and on. i think this topic has come up on the gl1/gl2 forum before as well.

the solution was to use scenalyzer, which everybody seems to love but i personally prefer premiere's capture utility.

i haven't had this problem since moving to premiere pro (thankfully).

harry

Arnaldo Paixao December 23rd, 2003 04:08 AM

Hi Teague.

Same here.
Running WIN XP + Premiere 6.5
Started to capture, capture would stop after some frames. Started capture again and would work ok. After capture, I would review the footage to find that it was full of hickups.
In despair I captured with Pinnacle Studio 8. And it worked. Just hit the capture button and that's it.
When I have the time, full of work now, I'll try understand what's going on.

The files captured in Studio 8 import ok into Premiere. Browsing through the timeline will be a bit sluggish, but that's it.

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Richard Huff Webb July 19th, 2004 06:03 AM

Exporting to tape

Hey guys

I use Premiere 6.5 and have had a glitch when exporting timeline directly from a project to tape, with transitions and effects rendered (I work with an A/B workspace). I get an error message and Premiere closes completely. What I have done to work around this is export the project as a file to the hard drive, then open that file as a new project, which shows no effects or transitions, and then I can export to tape or to my encoder for dvd.

Does everybody have to do this or am I missing something?

Ed Smith July 19th, 2004 11:41 AM

Hi Richard,

PLease answer these questions:

Is this via firewire?
Are you using any hardware acceleration boards?
How long is the project?
does it play Ok in the timeline?
what is the error message?
Does it always do it in the same place?
How many effects are in the timeline?
What settings have you got set in Premiere?

Thanks,

Richard Huff Webb July 19th, 2004 02:43 PM

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the reply.
1. Yes I am using firewire to go from computer to either VHS or DV tape in camera
2. I am not using any accelerators
3. Project lengths vary, usually 3- 15 miniutes
4. Does OK on the timeline
5. Not always same place, but always does it
6. Effects and transitions vary, but only does it when tranistions or effects are in place.
7. I usually use the preset project settings for DV-NTSC , Standard 48,000 KHz

Also:
1. Exports fine after changing it to it's own avi. file
2. I have 1 gig ram, 2.8 ghz clock speed, and plenty of space on all drives. I use a Sony Vaio, which came with firewire port and software for supporting firewire. I do not have a hardware supported (i.e. Matrox) firewire port.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Has anyone seen my dropped frames? Last seen heading for Canada.

Ed Smith July 22nd, 2004 08:20 AM

Hi Richard,

Ummm, how odd.

What you can do is a simple crash record to your DV tape provided everything has been rendered on the timeline and you are using DV playback.

Steps:

Simply switch your camera to VTR mode (if not already)
Render timeline (If not already)
Set the Edit Line to the beginning of the project
Press Record on your camera
and then space bar (Play) in Pemiere
Once finished press stop.

Obviously this is not frame accrate, and it won't stop on its own. But its one way possibly to get your footage out straight from the timeline without creating 1 big AVI.

Cheers,

I saw your dropped frames in London the other day...Was it them?

Andrew Paul November 8th, 2004 04:26 PM

Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005

Wonder if anyone can help ?. I have a 10 minute film with an audio track of rock music. In premiere everything sounds great, but once I burn to a DVD and play it back the audio is all crackly and distorted. The sound is bad on the home DVD player and on the computer. Its not the volume on the computer as it sounds okay on the premiere playback, just goes bad once burned to a DVD

Thanks Guys

Steven Gotz November 8th, 2004 05:51 PM

Use the Audio mixer to see if you are clipping the audio. If you get anywhere in the red, the sound will be clipped. You may just want to reduce the audio level across the board.

Rob Lohman November 9th, 2004 05:22 AM

What audio codec did you use when encoding the audio for DVD?
Check the settings there as well.

Andrew Paul November 10th, 2004 04:04 AM

I checked the audio and it did reach the red, taking it down a few dB sorted it out. What gets me is why did it sound okay in the editor, but all distorted in the DVD playback. The other tunes (which where not so loaud !) played fine.

Thanks for the advise above, I`m a happy man now.

Steven Gotz November 10th, 2004 09:10 AM

The reason lies in the way that different codecs handle the details over 0dB.

Most of the ones set up for use with DV just cut it off which sounds horrible, or worse yet, they wrap around and sound worse.

Just keep your audio under 0dB. In fact, you may find that -6dB makes your audio sound about the same as the television stations you watch. So when you switch between the TV and the DVD, you should not have to adjust the volume on the TV.

Jonathan Nicholas November 10th, 2004 11:18 AM

Are you using premiere pro by any chance - this has the annoying habit of converting everything to 32 bit to give you extra headroom when processing - but this could be a symptom of what happens when it's converted back into 16bit.

Jon

Rob Lohman November 10th, 2004 11:59 AM

Jonathan: this thread is in the Premiere forum, so he's probably
indeed using Premiere <g>

Jonathan Nicholas November 10th, 2004 12:21 PM

I said premiere pro, which is a lot different from all previous versions...hence the question.

Jon

Andrew Paul November 10th, 2004 05:11 PM

Yes I am using the Pro version. Does pro have a bug that the others dont ?. It seems the obvious answer is to quieten the loud tracks down a bit. Not really something we should have to do after paying a good few hundred quid of my hard earned money.

Jonathan Nicholas November 10th, 2004 06:10 PM

The reason I was told for converting all the audio to 32bit with premiere pro was for better handling of audio effects, because in 32bit you can get another 96dB louder than you could with 16bit.

This is all very well but if you or I as a user aren't hearing the audio clipping as it would when playing out to dv then something's up with the design.

I'll do some tests...

Jon

Andrew Paul November 11th, 2004 08:17 AM

I look forward to the results, as I`m sure others will.

Many Thanks

Ron Quizon November 15th, 2004 09:54 AM

Serious Error - Anyone else get this?

Hello All,

I just wanted to see if anyone knows of a bug with PPro 1.0 and using the group function. I can group my audio and video no problem. But, I get a "serious error" when I try to ungroup. Then I am stuck with having to reboot and after that I still cannot ungroup.

Anyone have any suggestions? I tried searching here and on adobe's site. I may have to try technical support.

Thanks,
Ron

Rob Lohman November 15th, 2004 10:19 AM

If I remember correctly there where much problems with 1.0, that's
why 1.5 came pretty quickly. I'm not sure if it is a free upgrade or
not (don't use it myself), but I would advise you to upgrade to 1.5.

Cliff Hepburn November 15th, 2004 10:35 AM

Rob, why would you advise to upgrade if you don't use the program yourself?

Ron, I just upgraded to 1.5 but before that I was using 1.0 for a short while. I never had any problems with the group or ungroup function. Maybe an uninstall/reinstall would fix it.

Rob Lohman November 15th, 2004 10:39 AM

I would advise this since it is known that a lot of problems where
fixed in the 1.5 version of Premiere Pro. This makes sure your
version is not a problem. I'm using Vegas 5.0b, not 5.0a since it
had bugs as well that where fixed lateron.

Ron Quizon November 15th, 2004 11:42 AM

Thanks for the quick responses - but they both don't seem to be options. I tried reinstalling - with no luck and upgrading to 1.5 is not free and I won't be able to shell out the $$ for the upgrade. I may just be out of luck.

Ron Quizon November 15th, 2004 12:23 PM

Okay - so I'm not totally hosed. I just had to start over since most anything I tried to do after that gave me the "serious error". I reinstalled and started over and it seems to now allow me to group and ungroup.

Thanks for your help

Jiggy Gaton November 20th, 2004 05:18 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ron Quizon : Okay - so I'm not totally hosed. I just had to start over since most anything I tried to do after that gave me the "serious error". I reinstalled and started over and it seems to now allow me to group and ungroup.

Thanks for your help -->>>

i had that one once too, and others like it when working with nested sequences. i cant get the 1.5 upgrade either as its not here in Nepal yet. Other than that i find 1 pretty stable - everyone here is using it!

jigs

Pete Bauer November 20th, 2004 06:40 AM

Glad Ron's problem is solved.

FWIW, I felt like the upgrade to 1.5 was well worth the $99 for the additional features...not to mention the bug fixes, which I don't believe we consumers ought to have to pay for. (IMHO, it is the responsibility of manufacturers to make their products function as advertised, which is not an easy task for any of the software companies these days, given the complexities.)

Jiggy, if availability is the only thing preventing you from upgrading, you can purchase through any internet connection from Adobe's online store -- although a broadband connection would be highly desireable.

Cheers!

Jiggy Gaton November 20th, 2004 08:26 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Pete Bauer : Glad Ron's problem is solved.

FWIW, I felt like the upgrade to 1.5 was well worth the $99 for the additional features...not to mention the bug fixes, which I don't believe we consumers ought to have to pay for. (IMHO, it is the responsibility of manufacturers to make their products function as advertised, which is not an easy task for any of the software companies these days, given the complexities.)

Jiggy, if availability is the only thing preventing you from upgrading, you can purchase through any internet connection from Adobe's online store -- although a broadband connection would be highly desireable.

Cheers! -->>>

thanks pete for the news on the upgrade! there are hundreds of us here that would love the upgrade, but EVERYONE buys from the local shops for economic - and bandwidth reasons. I get my software from the most reputable dealer in town, so whatever comes into his store i buy. but as i am starting to use Premiere everyday now - i'm going to look into the upgrade - wow, 99$. the adverage national income here is now up to 256$, so that sounds like a lot of money to me.

Richard Maloney November 21st, 2004 03:30 AM

I had the same problem with 1.0. 1.5 doesn't have it.
I found what worked is make a cut next to (or inside? can't remember) the group/ungroup clip. Then that annoying bug might fly away. The consensus is that version 1.5 is much more stable, and I have found this to be true.

Neal Moignard November 25th, 2004 10:18 PM

What am I doing?: Compression and Codec Questions

I apologize if these are some extremly trivial questions, but I need some basic answers for a project I'm working on. I have been asked to compile 2 hours of DV footage, instructional material that demonstates the uses of a machine for the bigwigs of a company, and using Permiere 6.5, I've reached the point where some things I've avoided asking about have come back to haunt me.

Because of the nature of the footage, it must be faily good quality, and I plan on presenting it on DVD. However, I have no idea how exactly to export it with the best results for this. I don't understand which codec to use (someone said MPEG2?), if I should increase the frame size or not, what changes to bitrate do, the whole deal, and get it to fit the DVD size.

It's been a guessing game in the past, pick a random codec, select the quality percentage, and cross my fingers and hope it comes out at a reasonable size. Now I'd like to know how to pick and choose that size, and the quality, so I could come up with a result that wasn't a guessing game. Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Thank you

Jonathan Nicholas November 26th, 2004 06:57 AM

I think it's best to direct you to http://www.videohelp.com/

For dvd you need mpeg2 video at about 8000kbits/sec for good quality - that will give you an hour of video on one 4.3Gbyte dvd

Jon