Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 - Page 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2003, 03:19 AM   #811
Major Player

Thanks again.

I'll investigate further and follow your advice.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Old December 4th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #812
Regular Crew

premiere pro convert to FCP or Xpro?

I have a workflow question.... Currently where I work, at a University, we have many Final Cut pro set-ups along with an Avid Adrenaline Media Composer. I am debating whether to install avid exress pro at home to do some of my work and then simply transfer it into the sytems we have here OR install premiere pro vid collection (either standard or pro version) and then convert files to either Final cut or Avid. Given the second scenerio what would I have to do to convert files (i.e. timelines or media files) to "finish" them on final cut or an avid set-up.

i know the easiest scenerio is to stick with avid but i get more software options (photoshop, AE, Encore , audition)with going with the adobe vid collection, correct?

any info would be helpful
Thanks
Steve
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #813
Regular Crew

Is my setup enuff for DVX100 in Premiere 6??

hi all,

I am here to seek advice if the setup I have is good enough to capture, edit and output what I have shot

What I have shot

1 and half hour of mini DV in Short Play mode. Shot with DVX100, PAL version, 25P progressive scan mode.

My computer's set up is

1 x Maxtor 60GB IDE HDD (7200+2MB+ATA133)
2 x 512MB PC2100/266 DDR Kingston Ram - 1GB ram in total
ASUSTEK NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX400 (64MB)
MSI 645E Max2 (MS-6567) series ATX motherboard (Raid Capable)
Pentium 4 1.8Ghz Processor
1 x CD-ROM
1 x CD-RW
Premiere 6.0
Photoshop 7.0
Office 2000 Pro

Now here is my problem. I THINK i just need to get

1 x Firewire card (I WILL NOT NEED a video capture card if i have a firewire card?)

2) Get a BRAND NEW 7200 rpm 60GB HDD, connect it in a isolated IDE so that no CD-ROM, CD-RW will slow down the HDD's performance. However, my primary HDD can connect itself to the CD-ROM or CD-RW since that's the only way I am ever gonna burn stuff from my HDD (correct me if i am wrong here)

3) Restart comp once i got everything in place. Do a disk fragmentation on the new and primary HDD (neccessary?) Then shut down any other programs that are running. eg. ADSL, ICQ, adaware,Norton antivirus, any other programs except Premiere 6.0. to minimize the chances of having drop frames.

4) Record everything I have onto the NEW DRIVE via Premiere 6 since 1 and half hour footage takes only at most half of my 60GB new HDD. Then choose those takes I want once they are in avi formats so that no quality is lost. This is easier also cause i run a risk of the camera freaking up (since i am a newbie) if i record part by part

Can I do my editing after my purchases smoothly, without frequent crashing and drop frames? Do i need to get anymore hardware that is neccssary? Costs is a concern for me so luxury items is not what I will get (eg. SCSI RAID)

Am i right? am i right? If so, i am going down to town to get the firewire card and a new HDD.

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks a lot!!!
Ong
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #814
Major Player

Your setup should run Premiere just fine.

1) Yes, you'll need a firewire card. That's all you'll need unless you want to capture analog video from an older camera (or from a VCR if you so desired). Firewire is all you'll need for your DVX.

2) The second hard drive is a very good idea; it's always recommended that you capture on one drive and put your programs on the other. Ideally they should be on separate channels, and as long as you only have 3 drives in total (including optical drives like your burner) then it will work fine.

3) Definitely defrag your primary HDD. I don't think it's necessary to defrag a new HDD because when you install it, you'll be formatting it with the filesystem (NTFS is recommended if you're running Win2k or XP).

Network cards have been known to interfere with firewire, so it wouldn't hurt to disable it when you're editing. And as always keep the number of open programs to a minimum. In XP or 2000 you could have a separate user profile set up that starts with a very minimal load.

4) Recording everything in one, long go isn't the best thing to do, especially if you know you're not going to use everything. You can batch capture by going through the tape first and selecting which parts you want, then entering the start and end time of each clip into Premiere's batch capture window.

Your system should run everything fine with minimal dropped frames. I don't have SCSI either and I get very few.
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #815

Premiere will work to some degree with DVX100 compression, as that is how the camera works.

However if you get a tape that was shot in 24a "You Will Not Be Able To Import." as Premiere does not yet handle 2:3:3:2 pull down.

Applications that do are Vegas, Avid, and FCP4 at this time Adobe had not set this as a standard.

Old December 4th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #816
Trustee

Acording to Ong's post, he is shooting in 25p PAL, not in 24p ( and I am not shure but I think that the PAL version of the dvx100 doesn't do 24p at all since the PAL frame rate is so close to that) so IMO it should not have to do any pulldown.
Old December 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #817

I stated that the pull down concern only has to do with 24a not 24p, yet there have been reports of imports lacking even with 24p

I was also saying his system was not able to do it, as much as to be aware of this.

Old December 4th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #818

FCP works with QuickTime files as it's capture settings. QuickTime Pro is the real engine behind FCP so when you export from any other application .mov would be the case so when going from Premiere you really need to save it in an. avi

Old December 4th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #819
Regular Crew

that;s what i figured ---i'd have to save the media files as avi files from premiere....but there's no way to transfer over a timeline...is there?
Old December 4th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #820

I looked at FCP there was no way to export timelines to another NLE that I could find I will keep looking as for Adobe Premiere I will ask another about this.

Old December 4th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #821
Inner Circle

There's Automatic Duck to transfer between FCP/Avid/After Effects. It might integrate these apps better than Premiere and After Effects.
Old December 4th, 2003, 05:35 PM   #822

There you go Automatic Duck good app yet there is no support for premiere pro and it cost around 400 bills great app for after effects yet?

From their site...

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/index.php
Automatic Duck's solution for translating the Final Cut Pro 3 timeline into Avid editing systems employs OMF, an interchange format developed by Avid Technology. Automatic Sequence Export PRO features an export option that we call "Avid compatibility mode".

Old December 4th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #823
Inner Circle

Premiere 6.0 is not that reliable. Make sure you get the latest patch or else you will drop A LOT of frames on export.

Premiere 6.0 is not that fun because it lets/helps you lose sync, it's not super powerful, and everything takes a bit longer to do.

When you capture you should either batch capture or use a program like Scenalyzer (I'd prefer Scenalyzer). Programs like Scenalyzer will break up clips based on changes in date/time info. Premiere 6.0 doesn't do this...

You can capture as one huge clip but the Premiere workflow was not designed for that.
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #824
Regular Crew

Changing the Rendering Codec in Premiere Pro...

Is it possible to change the rendering codec after you start editing? Deleting the rendered content right now won't be a problem if that's what I have to do first.

Thanks
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:47 PM   #825
Major Player

I use Premiere 6.5, but i imagine it's pretty much the same:

If you mean the *preview* rendering format, then go to Project -> Project Settings -> General and start from there, chosing Editing Mode and then codec, etc. Once you click "OK" you will be warned that all of your preview files will be erased, just click OK.

If you mean the *final* render, then you simply choose that when you Export the Timeline as a Movie. You can edit using one codec and export the final movie in another.

I hope this helps...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite