XL2 with Premiere Pro 1.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 12th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Tourist

XL2 with Premiere Pro 1.5

I have a premiere 6.0 and new pro 1.5, for my pd150 both program are working fine and premiere 6.0 with XL2 is fine too, but XL2 with pro 1.5 I have problem.

the problem is when I captured from XL2 with pro 1.5, I always had an error (frames dropped). Is anyone had a similar problem? or just me? or my XL2 has a problem?

XL2 is my first DV product from Canon. If you know something, please help me.
Thank you,

maser
Maser Ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have an XL2 and use Premiere Pro 1.5 with absolutely no problems.

Dropped frames often result from inadequate computer perfomance or defragmented disks.

Check http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?act=SC&c=2

as a good source for Premiere assistance.

Your problem is probably not withthe camera nor PPro, but with the computer. PPro saves a lot of audio and preview files that fragment a disk real fast.

Good Luck
Steve Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Smith : I have an XL2 and use Premiere Pro 1.5 with absolutely no problems.

Dropped frames often result from inadequate computer perfomance or defragmented disks.

Check http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?act=SC&c=2

as a good source for Premiere assistance.

Your problem is probably not withthe camera nor PPro, but with the computer. PPro saves a lot of audio and preview files that fragment a disk real fast.

Good Luck -->>>

Thank you for reply!

My computers performance is not that inadequate computer.
however, fuuny thing is with premiere 6.0 is working perpect with XL2. but not with premiere pro or pro 1.5.

my hard drive, SATA 133mbps 8mb buffer 7200rpm. Is my hard drive slow? and do I need some special capture card such as "Matrox RTX100"? with my sony PD-150, I use it with onboard OHCI IEEE1394.

What kind capture card do u using?

thank you
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would recommend staying away from external capture cards. Just use the IE1394 port. Your hard drive should be fine, but make sure it is defragmented!!!!!

After defragmenting your hard disk, making sure you don't have other programy running at the same time it should fly seamlelessly. If you have multiple drives or partitions, capture and save your project to a drive other than the one where PPRO is located on.

Make sure you have adequate disk space.. A lot of swappig goes on with PPRO. If all this doesn't work, jump over to the other forum in the link in my previous email

Good Luck
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #5
Wrangler

Maser,

Although it shouldn't be necessary for capture, as Steve alluded to, it still is a good idea to have a second hard drive for capture -- and more importantly for scratch files that PPro uses. It'll be worth your bother to use a second drive if you're going to do a lot of editing.

DMA should be enabled by default under WinXP, but sometimes isn't, or accidentally gets turned off. Check to make sure about that, because that would sure give you dropped frames. You can find that in the Device Manager. Look for it in the Advanced Settings tab of your IDE Channels.

There's a section in the manual / help that goes into more detail, but having XP, PPro, and your project file on the C Drive and then using other fast, clean physical hard drives for capture and scratch is what's recommended.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Tourist

First of all, Thank you for the supports :)

I still have dropped frames problem after I did scratch disk, disk defragmenting, checked DMA enabled setting, my Pro 1.5 installed into C drive and scratch disk is E drive (captured video, captured audio, video audio previews, confermed audio) my E drive has 115 Gb free space.

under 3 min. testing, I got 22 dropped frames during capture.
and under premiere 6.0 is worked fine without a dropped frame.

Is my XL2 still ok? or my computer? I have 15 days left for exchange.
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Something doesnt look right here. Any you can capture fine with 6.5??

I would think you have a config / compatability problem with PPro 1.5, and not your camera (since you can capture with 6.5 ).

Can you capture with other software too.?

Have you tried the camera on another computer?
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 with my XL2. It works perfectly fine right now on my system (never drops a frame, even for hours of capture). I have a RAID array mind you but I also captured to a standard Maxtor 7200rpm 2Mb cache IDE drive without a problem. Your disk drive shouldn't be the problem for DV capturing. I use Windows XP with 512m RAM and an AMD 1666Mhz processor. Nothing really powerful, yet it never fails. No need for a separate capture card.

However, weirdly enough, there was this one time when I was getting dropped frames as well as a green bar on the left side of the preview screen. This came right after I had installed a bunch of various audio/video codecs to see what they could do for me. I restored my system to an earlier date (prior to the installation of those codecs) and everything worked fine again.

You can also select the Canon XL1s in the DV control device presets (there's no XL2 yet). It works fine to control your XL2 from your computer (play/stop/pause/etc.).

Other than that, you might want to check your drivers, graphic card, Firewire port (there's actually a 100 things that could make you drop frames). The good news is, it is definitelly not normal, especially if you were able to capture fine with Premiere 6. The bad news is, unless you're a computer crack, you might have to use the help of a professional to figure this one out.

If you're not in a hurry, I would suggest reinstalling your OS all together. After all your drivers are installed, install Premiere Pro again and try to capture from your XL2 right away. If you're still dropping frames, then there's definitelly something wrong with your system (could be a compatibility issue).

Good luck!
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

One question for you. Is the drive you are capturing to a Firewire Drive? If you are capturing from a device to a drive on the same firewire buss, you will drop frames for sure.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:26 AM   #10
New Boot

Hi all,

For capturing it is a must to have a separate hd (7200).
I have a system with 5 hd where one is for os and the software
one for backups/imaging and three for capturing.
This is the only way to be flexible without compromising to your project. In a project your equipment to shoot is important but the final results are made on your pc, so your environment on the pc ( and not only the specs but also the settings and where you put everything ) and your software are very important for the results.

But that is just my opinion.
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #11
Tourist

thanks all.
MY XL2 is fine, I tested with other computer and worked fine.
My final conclusion, my computer has some problem that I don't know why... :(
I order new workstation computer from dell, hopelly work this time.

thanks again to all of you

Maser.
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Please let us know how it goes.
Seymour Clufley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #13
Trustee

For what it is worth I have the same problems. I really believe there are issues with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 capture module. On my work machine I have a dual Zeon and SATA raid and Pro 1.5 drops frames all the time during capture. However Premiere Pro 1.0 captures flawlessly. Also......on my home machine Premiere Pro 1.5 says that the device is not ready and will not even attempt to capture. However Premiere 6.5, Pro 1.0, Vegas 5.0 and Edius all capture without and issue. even Windows movie maker works.

Since my system is all customized with dozens of serialized plugins and software that would need to be reactivated I just leave it as is. I capture in Premiere Pro 1.0 and the edit in Pro 1.5.

I hate to see you buy a whole new system when a reinstallation may fix your issues. I say this because at one time or another Premiere Pro 1.5 was working fine on both machines and then stopped. Probably not a coincidence. There is probably a plugin or codec that screwed it up that I didn;t realize.

Good Luck!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

That's another solution (buy a new computer), although a radical
one. Your problem should be solvable.

I'm thinking one of the following (since your system seems good):

- do you have any other devices on the IDE channel with your harddisk?

- are you running programs like a virus scanner or firewall?

- your doing the capture in DV AVI format and not something like uncompressed, right?

If all of that doesn't help I would've just captured with Premiere 6.0
or a cheap program called Scenalyzer (much cheaper than buying
a new computer system)

Then just load the captured files in PPro. Problem solved.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite