Very basic questions... forgive me at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Very basic questions... forgive me

Hi?
I have been using Adobe PP for almost 4 years now but never figured this out.
I know PP has advantage over FC for reviewing the timeline without rendering it, but here is my questions:
Does rendering actually affect the speed when exporting? Or is it really just for previewing real time?
I search and googled it, but no luck.
I know it's very basic stuff, but some answers will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, all.

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Trustee

The short answer is: No, yes.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

It depends the format and eventually hardware.

If the source is same format as the project, there should be no rendering, just where you apply effects and transition. These segment are rendered in temporary files for preview.

When exporting, premiere will use the raw source when possible (no rendering) , the temporary files (for segment rendered) and rendering the rest as needed.

It is easy to see this since the timeline shows the status of clip with the color (red= must be rendered)

For the preview it should follow the same rule, except if you use special hardware that can output the video with some realtime calculation. Here again there are several levels.

Either your card can process the effects and is showing them in realtime. there is no need to render for preview, but you will need to render for export. These cards usually offer their own limited set of transitions and filters (like some matrox RT cards).

Or your card is just able to preview the timeline as is, meaning that non rendered part will not show, unless the temporary files are built. (like the blackmagic intensity)

The general rule is you should work with files having the same format as the project to avoid unnecessary calculations. It is better to loose time of doing a good conversion of the original rushes to the right format, than letting Premiere crushing huge quantity of memory converting you images while working. These will greatly improve performance and stability.

In that way, codecs like Cineform are great because you always work with the same settings, the conversion being done at capture.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Trustee

The only advantage is with standard DV. Rendering transitions, effect, CC and the rest will speed your final output render. It will use the preview files for output. I believe that's unique to DV. The same is not true for HDV, and other "native" formats. The output render builds everything from scratch, ignoring the preview files.

Not sure about CS4, but I know that it's true for CS3 and earlier versions.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite