make movie doesn't finish at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 6th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

make movie doesn't finish

when i make movie, it just stops randomly before the whole movie is made. started when i used winxpsp2. lost my previous os cd. any help appreciated. dvstorm2pro, 3.2ghz, 2gb ram, matrox g400.

plus, after making a movie, i loose overlay so i have to restart premiere, which is quite a hassle for large projects.

any help appreciated.
Mo Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Which Premiere version? Did you upgrade that version to the latest bug-fix
release etc.?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

sorry, it's ppro 1.5 is a bug fix?
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:03 AM   #4
Major Player

You have several options...

Is your drive approaching 90% capacity? You are trying to create a very large single file and this could be the cause. A defrag might assist. Or you could try exporting to a new drive. Drop in a new secondary slave 120 gig 7200 rpm ide and you should be fine. Have you an older version of premiere to get the project exported just to get you out of this jam? Have you tried exporting a smaller sequence to make sure that this is not related to your project?

If this just happened, try a previous version of your project from the project archive.

If you can restore to a known checkpoint that allowed proper functionality, that would be the first fix after exhausting all other hardware/software possibilities.. You will have to call in for a new unlock code to Adobe, since this constitutes a software change. Failing that, you might want to find your old XP disk.

Last resort: Low level format and re-install everything. Book a vacation day.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks a lot, jimmy, but-

Is your drive approaching 90% capacity?
no, not nearly half

You are trying to create a very large single file and this could be the cause. A defrag might assist.
tried this.

Or you could try exporting to a new drive. Drop in a new secondary slave 120 gig 7200 rpm ide and you should be fine.
tried 3 other already, 2 scsi and 1 sata.

Have you an older version of premiere to get the project exported just to get you out of this jam? Have you tried exporting a smaller sequence to make sure that this is not related to your project?
background of the project- it's 1hr 30m tv time slot documentary. as of now i have 8 segments, which i have a sequence each for. the longest would be somewhere around 11mins. but what i noticed is that i'm having problems only with the more complex sequences, the others make movie just fine. my workaround- make movie until it stops, import that movie then make movie (excluding the area already done) again then until it stops. then drop in the continuation until i finish the sequence and then i'll be able to make movie the whole sequence.

If this just happened, try a previous version of your project from the project archive.
lost it- i reformatted.

If you can restore to a known checkpoint that allowed proper functionality, that would be the first fix after exhausting all other hardware/software possibilities.. You will have to call in for a new unlock code to Adobe, since this constitutes a software change. Failing that, you might want to find your old XP disk.
Last resort: Low level format and re-install everything. Book a vacation day.

did all of of this including a 1 week vacation, same thing. problem is my old xp disc is so scratched my drive wont even detect it...

thanks for all the tips, though. i counting on my pc tech now to come up with a solution.... he's checked the system, and says to me- that's why i don't advise my clients to use ppro, just use 6.5.........
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Your less complex sequences work fine? Great! Create a separate sequence for the complex activities: mattes, filters titles etc. These must be nested in the finished work sequence. That should solve everything.

If not, try exporting some of the complexities from after effects as dv avi and bring that into Premiere.

What you have to find is the kick point or conflict that has Premiere hanging up during a multi-track render/export. The best way to avoid this is with nested sequences. I was never much for that in the previous versions but the multiple timelines make it quite nice.

Let us know your results!
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
Your less complex sequences work fine? Great! Create a separate sequence for the complex activities: mattes, filters titles etc. These must be nested in the finished work sequence. That should solve everything.

If not, try exporting some of the complexities from after effects as dv avi and bring that into Premiere.

What you have to find is the kick point or conflict that has Premiere hanging up during a multi-track render/export. The best way to avoid this is with nested sequences. I was never much for that in the previous versions but the multiple timelines make it quite nice.

Let us know your results!
thanks. will do. i really did a lot of the more complex stuff in AE but sometiemes i got too lazy to switch apps and just did it in premiere. i still think ppro is way better than 6.5
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi there. I'm new in this particular forum, but I've had some experience with this problem on a few occasions.

Some fixes that worked for me in different situations, in various combinations:

-Deleting render files (Project->delete render files-> scary warning-> "Yes")
-Unchecking "recompress" in the Export movie dialogue
-If there are a lot of high res stills or titles in the timeline, using the edit original command to drop the res or dimensions (when a lot of panning & zooming was not needed), cleared things up.
-If there are jpegs in the timeline, using edit original to convert them to bmp or psd.

Just some random things that might fit some folks' particular situations before you end up smashing a perfectly good monitor with your head. Honestly, the only thing I can say worked with any degree of scientific certainty is the conversion of Jpegs to BMPs--since PPro seems to hate Jpegs anyway and it made sense. The other things were just shots in the dark at 1am or so.
Adam Kampia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

oddly enough, one "choking point" i found was a huge psd file where i applied motion.

i already tried deleting the rendered files and changing scratch disks. this doesn't seem to help. i guess what i really should do from now on is use after effects for more comples stuff. besides, premiere doesn't have motion blur.
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Zee
when i make movie, it just stops randomly before the whole movie is made. started when i used winxpsp2. lost my previous os cd. any help appreciated. dvstorm2pro, 3.2ghz, 2gb ram, matrox g400.

plus, after making a movie, i loose overlay so i have to restart premiere, which is quite a hassle for large projects.

any help appreciated.
I would upgrade to 1.5.1 and also make sure you apply the Microsoft Patch and maybe check to see if your MainConcept encoder is up to date..

As for the overlay problems usually related to the video card drivers, I would check Matrox's site for G400 drivers for use with Adobe Premiere.. Lemme check for you.
..It appears this is your latest driver for the G400..
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/dr...xp_593_009.cfm

I have errors exporting timelines larger than 20 minutes for awhile.. Then I removed 1 Gig from my 2GB of RAM and now it works flawless..Weird..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks pat.

the project has already been dubbed out for airing and deleted from my pc to free up space. however, i have a full length feature being edited in my pc now. will try out what you said if things go wrong. thanks again
Mo Zee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite