DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Moving from PC to Mac and CS3 to CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/452704-moving-pc-mac-cs3-cs4.html)

David Beisner September 29th, 2009 06:48 AM

Moving from PC to Mac and CS3 to CS4

I've got a TON of PPro CS3 projects and files on my PC and I'm going to upgrade to CS4. I've also been having lots of problems with my PC and have wanted a Mac for a long time now. I'm thinking about going ahead and getting a Mac while I'm at it with the upgrade to CS4... but I'm wondering if a CS3 project, created on a PC, will open in CS4 on a Mac? If it won't open, then I can't do the switch as I have far too much on there to lose/not have access to.

I'm also wondering about how the Canon XH-A1 plays with a CS4 on a Mac? (This is the older model; not the newer "s" model.) Any users out there who might be able to help?

Todd Clark September 29th, 2009 07:13 AM

No offense but why would you spend DOUBLE the money for a Mac when you can get a new/faster PC for half the money? Not to mention you can do upgrades easier and cheaper with a PC.

I am not sure but I do think the projects are cross platform. Check the Adobe site...it will tell you.

David Beisner September 29th, 2009 07:30 AM

I've been a PC user all my life, but love the relative stability of a Mac. The company I work for is very PC intensive, yet they have yet to be able to build me a PC that is stable (my workstation crashes at least once a day and has done so for over a year, despite four complete rebuilds they've tried). The problem is that the company won't go out and buy me a properly built PC because they can "make it in-house cheaper and better." Normally I would agree with that methodology (I've built plenty of PCs in my day), but when they consistently give me a system that crashes, I have to wonder what they're doing wrong.

That's where the beauty of a Mac would come in... they wouldn't be able to build it in-house, so I'd get a machine that I knew was built by professionals with components that were compatible with each other. And, if it ever needed servicing, they'd call in an outside pro to do the servicing and I'd know it would get done right.

I personally love PCs and I'm used to them and I like the way they run, and I'm especially eager to try out Windows 7... but I just don't know how much longer I can put up with my system crashing every single day.

Todd Clark September 29th, 2009 08:17 AM

>The problem is that the company won't go out and buy me a properly built PC because they can "make it in-house cheaper and better." Normally I would agree with that methodology (I've built plenty of PCs in my day), but when they consistently give me a system that crashes, I have to wonder what they're doing wrong.<

I can understand that. It is hard when you have to use only what they will provide.

The new i7 computers are pretty impressive not to mention pretty cheap.

Good Luck.

Harm Millaard September 29th, 2009 10:50 AM

David,

With tons of projects, never move to MAC. PR on a MAC is much more limited than on a PC and chances are you have used an effect or transition on a Windows machine that does not work on a MAC. Second, apart from the inflated MAC prices, Snow Leopard is causing serious grief.

MAC's are like hookers, they look sexy and they are pricey, but are they better?

David Beisner September 29th, 2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1413848)
MAC's are like hookers, they look sexy and they are pricey, but are they better?

Hahahaha! That's a good one, Harm... I'll have to remember that for when my Mac user friends taunt me. So far I've heard some good arguments to stick with a PC, and none to switch to a Mac. Last call for Mac users to attempt to influence me!! :-)

Brian Parker September 29th, 2009 06:37 PM

I edit with cs3 on a hp workstation win xp computer at work, and cs4 on the mac at home. I have to say that both work very well and quite smoothly, but I havent tried opening work projects at home. I would also say that the price difference between a mac pro and a HP workstation isnt all that much.

I would say that if you have windows based encore projects, then you will have trouble moving to a mac. Also, I think I have read in posts that some users had issues with hdv capture on the mac version of premiere, but since i dont edit hdv I cant talk about that. It's probably worth a search. If you want to use an intermediate file process like cineform, you might be waiting a while for them to support Premiere on the mac. They have promised to make it happen though.

On the mac usability side, I have to say that using a mac is a nicer experience than xp or vista. I am having no problems with cs4 on snow leopard. Finder is good enough to not even need to use Bridge. Preferences are all easy to get to and grouped well. It feels easier to do things with the mouse on the mac (it feels like you can do more using the mouse and dragging and dropping, rather than cutting and pasting/right clicking for menus).
Also, "Spaces" is very good for video editing. I give After effects and Premiere each their own dedicated space.
Expose is very intuitive for multi document programs too. Especially in Snow leopard.

Andrew Clark October 2nd, 2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1413848)
David,

..... PR on a MAC is much more limited than on a PC...

Interesting...is there a list somewhere of what makes PPro more limited on a Mac vs. Win?

Harm Millaard October 2nd, 2009 03:13 AM

It will take some searching, but a couple of months ago someone posted on the Adobe Premiere Pro forums an overview of effects and transitions available on PC but not available on the Mac. IIRC it amounted to around 30+ missing features. Since I'm on PC and have no interest in MAC's, I did not pay very much attention to the details, but the gist of the thread I remember clearly. Adobe does not have such a listing as they admitted.

Harm Millaard October 2nd, 2009 03:13 PM

Found the thread: Adobe Forums: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing...

Pete Cofrancesco October 3rd, 2009 05:14 PM

I own and use both. Anyone unbiased will tell you there are pro and cons to each. I think your crash problems are due more to quirkiness of Adobe's video apps and Windows ram management than your hardware.

The method and type of your work can also lead to more crashes on both platforms. For example, overlapping the windows within Final Cut Pro increases the risk of crashes. I stopped doing that and my crashes were greatly reduced. I've had many problems with Encore, where it crashed and then won't open the project up again while with DVDStudioPro I have never had such a problem.

On the PC side hardware is significantly cheaper with limitless choices. But with that freedom comes with the ability to pick incompatible, cutting edge stuff with driver bugs or cheap internal parts that can cause problems. Generally speaking the limited choice of the Mac promotes more stability. Apple selects the hardware, there is only one OS, no 32/64/xp/vista/home/pro/premium etc.. I only install video related apps on my Mac, no anti-virus, firewall, bloatware that comes with most pc major brands, no IM, no games, no outlook email, etc. The way you work is just as important as what you work on. So its really a mixed bag.

David Beisner October 12th, 2009 01:43 PM

All is well and I'm sticking with a PC. My supervisor decided to bypass my company's IT department and just agreed to let me get a BOXX workstation. Should be here by the end of the month!

Mike McCarthy October 12th, 2009 02:30 PM

I have consistently had trouble with Adobe apps on Boxx workstations. I wouldn't consider anything besides an HP workstation at this point. They are hardware certified by Avid, Adobe, Matrox, and just about every other software vendor. I get them real cheap as refurbished units from HP Remarketing. I have like 12 of them, and have never really had a hardware issue with any of them. My Boxxs at three different facilities were nothing but trouble until I retired them. I think animation and VFX is their forte, as opposed to editing, so storage is a consistent problem. I have had SCSI, IDE, and SATA Raids all fail in Boxx systems.

Anyhow good luck with that, but you may want to look here in the future:
Refurbished business products

Steve Oakley October 21st, 2009 08:19 PM

well I run both. macs are FAR less headaches, period. not saying perfect, but far fewer problems and better stability. no viruses & malware. apple builds a top end mobo, and uses op end parts = reliable machine. even windows runs well on it ;)

when its all said and done, yes you can build a PC cheaper, but if you value your time at even a skimpy $50/hr, you'll more then eat that in a couple of months with higher amounts of time keeping a PC running, and if you get hit with a major problem... kiss your savings goodbye.

as for projects :

AE projects will go both ways and open cross platform
PP projects will go both ways
Encore Projects in CS3 are platform specific, may of changed in CS4
PSD files are most certainly cross platform and generally cross version
IL files are cross platform

David Moody October 22nd, 2009 10:11 AM

I have two BOXX workstations that are working quite well and are stable. Never had a hardware failure.

I looked at HP 10 months ago when I got the last one, but HP was way behind in core i7 availability and couldn't build it with a Quadro CX card. Their certified Adobe configurations were with older hardware. The HP customer rep. had never even heard of the Quadro CX and didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about video editing applications. I think the reason they are certified is because they are a large supplier.

BOXX seems to have more custom options.

I do wish that my motherboard supported more than 4 memory slots. I have 3 x 2GB DDR3 sticks and could use more memory, but the 4gb sticks are still expensive. Make sure you get a motherboard that supports 8 slots.