DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Basic 24p exporting / converting problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/457958-basic-24p-exporting-converting-problems.html)

Christian Fannin September 30th, 2009 02:20 PM

Basic 24p exporting / converting problems

I tried searching for a similar topic but didn't find anything. Sorry if this has been covered and I'm sure it has.

There is no doubt in my mind that my problem is due to incorrect settings dealing with 24p issues. The problem is that the video is jerky or strobing kind of like a draft preview.

I shot my video at 24p widescreen on the Canon XL2 and captured in Premiere Pro (CS4). In Premiere I would select "Always Deinterlace" in the "Field Options". On exporting I continued to select the 24p widescreen NTSC DV options and thought everything would be fine. The video came out at 800MB for 4 minutes of footage with a soundtrack so I figured the shaky playback was due to the size.

I used ConvertXtoDVD to convert and burn to a DVD which only has the option for 30fps. Where am I going wrong? It would probably be easier if I could find an article that walks you through the process of shooting 24p and ending up on DVD. Thanks.

Christian Fannin September 30th, 2009 04:46 PM

Oh come on I didn't stump everyone on this simple question did I? I don't see why you have to specify 24p interlace deinterlace lower field and all this other crap so many times. Why can't you just create a new project as 24p and forget about it?

Boyd Ostroff September 30th, 2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Fannin (Post 1419441)
Oh come on I didn't stump everyone on this simple question did I?

Welcome to DVinfo Christian. I think you need to give people a little longer than two hours to answer your question :-) Sorry, I can't help because I don't use your software. But I'm moving this thread to our Premiere forum; I think you'll get a better response there.

Graham Hickling September 30th, 2009 09:46 PM

If your avi footage is 24p, you need to set a "3:2 pulldown playback" flag during the mpeg2 authoring process to tell the DVD player to play the footage back at 29.97 using the players own internal processing.

I haven't used the software you mentioned, but it may not offer this setting. TMPGEnc Xpress is one (of many encoders) that does.

Christian Fannin October 2nd, 2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1420005)
Welcome to DVinfo Christian. I think you need to give people a little longer than two hours to answer your question :-) Sorry, I can't help because I don't use your software. But I'm moving this thread to our Premiere forum; I think you'll get a better response there.

Haha, thanks anyway. I'll try that Graham and post my results. I exported to AVI and let ConvertXtoDVD do the VOB files and all that stuff. I don't know much about encoding and the technical side of things.