Differences between Academic, Standard, and Professional versions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Differences between Academic, Standard, and Professional versions?

What are the differences between the Academic, Standard, and Professional versions of Adobe Video Collection?
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Drew,

The Pro version has advanced (but very useful, IMHO!) features and usually some 3rd party add-in applications that the Standard version doesn't include:
http://www.adobe.com/products/dvcoll/main.html

"Academic" refers to licensing programs for educational insitutions (high volume) or students:
http://www.adobe.com/education/purch...g_program.html

I haven't read the student licensing agreement, so don't know what restrictions might be placed on use of the software under that agreement; some student software licenses will stipulate that the software can't be used to produce commercial content, and so forth.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It looks like the only difference between them is that Pro has photoshop software and a different version of After Effects. I'm on a very tight budget as I'm 15 years old and I was just wondering if it would be a better choice to get the standard version to save money.
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Meinecke
It looks like the only difference between them is that Pro has photoshop software and a different version of After Effects. I'm on a very tight budget as I'm 15 years old and I was just wondering if it would be a better choice to get the standard version to save money.
That pretty much sums it up. I think Photoshop is a necessary tool for any Premiere or Encore user, since the integration betweeen the apps is top notch.

Having After Effects Pro vs. standard is a different matter. Look up the features of Pro vs. standard and see what you would need/not need. Off the top of my head, AE Pro has motion tracking, standard does not.
Adam Kampia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #5
Wrangler

Drew,

A couple of thoughts that may help you:

If you're new to video and just giving it a try, you might want to start out with an inexpensive, simpler piece of software. Heck, XP even has a free, basic movie application built in!
--or--
If video is already a passion that you're confident you'll be sticking with, it may be worth it to stretch the budget a bit to get more advanced software. Also remember that Vegas, Adobe products, and others usually have free downloadable trials so you can try before you buy. I most strongly urge anyone buying their first editing software to take advantage of it...it'll greatly reduce the risk of ending up with buyer's remorse!

At 15, you would almost certainly be eligible for a student license for those programs that have them (and you BETTER not let this video thing get in the way of your school studies...oh, wait, it is summer vacation...never mind!). ;-) Once you have decided what software you want, DO seek out that licensing...if it works out, it'll get you the software for much, much less.

As far as the Adobe Video Collection (AVC) Standard vs Pro, Photoshop (a must-have application, IMHO) and the Pro version of AE are the primary differences. If money really is too tight to "Go Pro" right now, that's ok. Get your feet wet with the Standard version -- which is still a lot to learn -- and you can upgrade later if you want. I started with early versions of Premiere, got AVC 1.0 Standard, then upgraded to AVC PRO 2.0 and 2.5.

Along those lines, the current version of AVC has been out well over a year (except that Photoshop has been upgraded recently) and a lot of folks are GUESSING that by autumn, a new version may be due. Just a factor to weigh in your buying decisions. People naturally get pretty torqued when they spend a lot of money on software and then just miss the "free upgrade" window for the next verison that shows up shortly thereafter.

That reminds me, the current version of AVC Pro includes Photoshop CS2, and I don't see an upgrade path for Photoshop-within-AVC on the web site. I'll have to ask Adobe about that!

To sum up...try out the free versions and then seek out favorable licensing for the software you decide is best for you. It may not be that expensive after all if you can legally get a student license.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite