DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere CS3 crashes when re-linking data files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/465806-premiere-cs3-crashes-when-re-linking-data-files.html)

David Beisner October 15th, 2009 08:10 AM

Premiere CS3 crashes when re-linking data files

I'm in the process of upgrading to a new computer with CS4, and as part of my upgrade I'm re-organizing my hard drives. Up to now, I've had everything (data, project files, scratch disks) on one drive and I know that's not the best way to work, so I'm going to have one drive for video files and one drive for project files/scratch disk.

In preparation for moving all my stuff over to the new computer, I re-sorted everything yesterday, figuring I could just relink the files to the projects next time I needed to access those projects. This morning I tried opening a project, and as I expected, it asked me to find the video files that were reference in the project. However, when I pointed it to the right file and hit "select" I got that cpp-105 debug error that seems to get thrown by CS3 whenever anything wrong happens. I've gotta be able to access these projects, and I really don't want to have to go back through and move everything back to one drive.

Am I doing something wrong? Anybody know any way to fix this? Thanks!

David Beisner October 15th, 2009 08:18 AM

the same thing happens if I tell it to "skip all" when I first load the project and then manually link them from within the clip manager. Also, with one project I attempted to put all the data files back in the original tree structure with the project files and it still couldn't find them, and then when I attempted to link them, it threw the error.

David Beisner October 15th, 2009 08:36 AM

Ok, now I've even tried creating a new project and importing the same old video data files (mpegs as captured by Adobe) and it throws that time.cpp-105 error even if I try importing those data files into a brand new project. Something I did screwed up those mpeg files, and I need to know what it was because I've GOT to get them back!

Most of the mpeg files have xmp files along with them that contain their meta data. I tried importing files that have the xmp files intact and files where I had lost the xmp files, with the same result.

Adobe seems to import other video files (like an avi I exported from After Effects) just fine.

David Beisner October 15th, 2009 11:01 AM

Fixed!!

I completely deleted all the temporary files within the project folder (basically all the subfolders within the folder that held my project). After deleting those, I was able to relink my media.

Marty Baggen October 15th, 2009 02:23 PM

I think it's really cool and useful when someone starts a thread, and even though they solve the problem with their own good detective work, they share their findings.

Nice job David.

Adam Gold October 15th, 2009 03:08 PM

Kudos, David. I've been having the exact same issue with archived projects and now I'll know what to do when (not if) it happens again.

David Beisner October 20th, 2009 07:58 AM

More info...

Ok, just went through that all again with another project... not only must you delete the temporary files and cache within each project's subfolder, you must also clear the entire Premiere cache, wherever you have it stored on your scratch disks. Then, and only then, can you open a project and relink the files without getting that Time.cpp-105 error.