DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere CS4 can't see video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/468407-premiere-cs4-cant-see-video.html)

Pete Cofrancesco November 26th, 2009 07:44 AM

Premiere CS4 can't see video

The only thing I've done recently is install Time/Date software (visual dv). Standard DV video plays fine in Windows Media but when imported into Premiere I can only hear audio. Videos also import and can be seen in Windows Movie maker. Feels like a codec problem, is there any easy way to reinstall Premiere's codecs?

BTW, its Vista 64 Laptop

Harm Millaard November 26th, 2009 11:13 AM

Where did you get the video from? How was it captured? What does GSpot say about the codec used?

Pete Cofrancesco November 26th, 2009 04:33 PM

I imported video directly from the camera into Premiere with the same result. I have a feeling that installing a time stamp software messed up Premiere's codec. This is the 2nd time with in a month that software or hardware install has caused a serious problem with Adobe. Their video software is buggy as heck in combination with windows. I'm glad I don't use it on a regular basis.

Harm Millaard November 26th, 2009 07:55 PM

You can't import DV footage. You can only capture DV over firewire. What does GSpot tell you about the codec?

Pete Cofrancesco November 26th, 2009 09:25 PM

I don't know what GSpot is? I captured in Encore but when I imported into Premiere no video. When I tried to capture from Premiere it froze the program and prevented windows from shutting down. After a restart I captured from Premiere and still no video. I'm currently in the process of reinstalling.

Steve Kalle November 26th, 2009 10:30 PM

Its not a matter of Adobe being buggy within Windows. It is due to this poorly written software(Visual DV) that is not tested and certified to work with Premiere. I can't stand when people blame Windows and/or Adobe for issues that arise when using all these 'small' programs that have little to no testing done for compatibility in addition to little to no quality control. These 'small' (ie poorly coded) programs are what give Windows a bad rep. If these same programs worked on a Mac, then OS X would have a similar stigma as Windows.

Moreover, this program hasn't been updated in 2 years and there is no indication that its certified to work in a x64 OS.

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier as I would have suggested using Windows to restore to a time prior to this app being installed, which should have fixed the problem.

Harm Millaard November 27th, 2009 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1452754)
I don't know what GSpot is? I captured in Encore but when I imported into Premiere no video. When I tried to capture from Premiere it froze the program and prevented windows from shutting down. After a restart I captured from Premiere and still no video. I'm currently in the process of reinstalling.

It is often amazing what Google can find when you search for "GSpot", like this site: GSpot Codec Information Appliance

You do not make much sense to me. You say you captured with Encore, which is not possible. Then you say you captured with PR, but from what camera and with what project/sequence settings? Earlier you talked about importing, so what is it? FYI, importing and capturing are completely different things.

Pete Cofrancesco November 27th, 2009 10:02 AM

I originally tried to import video I had recorded to a Firestore, then after you made a suggestion I captured video directly from the camera to the laptop using Onlocation (which I mistakenly called Encore), then I tried Premiere. All of which had the same result, when played inside Premiere I can hear audio but no video is shown. Outside of Premiere they play fine. Clearly it's a codec issue.

I downloaded and ran Gspot. System check revealed all the adobe codecs are in red for some reason. Know that doesn't help me know how to fix the problem.

Harm Millaard November 27th, 2009 11:20 AM

I repeat the question: What camera. what sequence settings and what does GSpot show. Attach a screenshot.

Steve Kalle November 27th, 2009 11:52 AM

Pete: if I came off as a jerk, I didn't mean to.

To fix your problem, use windows Restore. This little program clearly does not work with Adobe and/or Vista x64.

Or try the K-Lite codec pack, which can remove broken codecs and might even replace them. Google it (site should be codec-guide.com or something similar), download just the 32 bit version of the 'Mega' pack. When installing, select the "Full w/ Media Player". There are a few other options to check but I can't remember them (besides checking Hardware acceleration/DXVA for H.264).

Good luck.

Harm Millaard November 27th, 2009 12:15 PM

Steve,

I quite disagree: NEVER install K-Lite. Too many people have been bitten by that malicious software and their only solution was a complete fresh install of OS & programs.

The ONLY codecs you can safely install on a CS4 system are Lagarith, HuffYuv, Morgan MJPEG and MainConcept MJPEG. Anything else, but most notable K-Lite and to a lesser degree FFDShow, puts the system stability in serious jeapardy. If you think you need other codecs than the 4 mentioned explicitly above, first check around for user experiences.

Pete Cofrancesco November 27th, 2009 12:58 PM

I read that Gspot/Sherlock give false errors for adobe cs3/4 in system codec list because adobe uses quotes for their codec entries in the Windows registry.

Gspot capture: of one the video files I'm trying to edit.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2el8awk.gif

Harm Millaard November 27th, 2009 01:12 PM

Pete,

You are correct that GSpot gives false errors with MainConcept codecs that are part of CS4 because of the quotes, but luckily that does not apply here. The codec is standard SD DV type2, so that should not be a problem.

Are you by any chance using a dual monitor setup and you have the program monitor on the second screen? If so, your video driver could be causing this problem because of the overlay support in the driver. Is your video driver the most recent? Do you have the most recent DirectX (9.0C IIRC) drivers?

Pete Cofrancesco November 27th, 2009 01:58 PM

Its a new laptop with no external monitor and I reinstalled the video driver from their site.

Battle Vaughan November 27th, 2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1452732)
You can't import DV footage. You can only capture DV over firewire. What does GSpot tell you about the codec?

You do capture from a standard def tape, but you can easily import a DV file, such as made by mpegstreamclip, quicktime, etc.; perhaps that's what you are working with?

Our SOP for oddball videos we have received is to first convert to a *.dv file, which then opens in Final Cut..../Battle Vaughan