DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Dual Monitors with Premiere Pro 1.5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/47004-dual-monitors-premiere-pro-1-5-a.html)

Hugh DiMauro June 30th, 2005 06:00 AM

Dual Monitors with Premiere Pro 1.5

I installed Premiere Pro 1.5 Professional last night. I have dual monitors and want to know why Premiere won't allow me to divide my interface whereby having the source and program view monitors on my left flat panel screen and the timeline on the other flat panel screen. The program won't allow me to separate the monitors from the timeline on two separate screens. It allows me to move my history window to my other screen but won't allow me to move my effects windows or separate my timeline from the viewing monitors. Is there a way around this?

Thanks!

Adam Kampia June 30th, 2005 06:18 AM

Make sure you don't have the PPro application window maximized (make sure the button shows the 1 square not two squares).

Then stretch the whole window accross your dula display and you can do whatever you want.

I, personally love stretching my timeline all accross the bottom of the 2 monitors.

Hugh DiMauro June 30th, 2005 06:54 AM

Thanks Adam! But...

I got that same answer from the Adobe help forums. However, what if I wanted to fill my entire right monitor with the timeline so I Can view all of the multiple tracks at once from top to bottom? For example, what if I had a ten camera setup (I am exaggerating but you know what I mean) and wanted to see all ten cameras on tracks one through ten plus the rest of the windows on my other monitor?

Are you saying that there's no way to maximize the screen and separate the timeline from the main body of the interface like the two monitors?

Brian Handler June 30th, 2005 07:49 AM

No, I really don't like Adobe's dual monitor support. The problem I used to have is having a 22" next to a 17"...they never worked next to eachother well at all. Now I have both 22" and I guess premiere works ok just streching it out. I really wish I could just detach the windows and put them where I want like on a Mac.

Hugh DiMauro June 30th, 2005 08:02 AM

Then I Guess You Answered It!

You can't detach all the windows in Premiere?

Adam Kampia June 30th, 2005 12:06 PM

There is no way to sepreate the windows from the main body, but why would you need to?

Just stretch the main application window (the big gray backround with File, Edit, etc at the top) to cover both monitors. Then you just move and resize the various sub-windows (i.e. timeline) within the larger Premiere window area.

Trust me, I just tested it out to make sure I wasn't insane. ;-). My timeline window went right over to the right monitor.

Henry Cho June 30th, 2005 12:32 PM

exactly. there is no difference in moving pallettes between mac and windows versions, except in windows you can't see your desktop because of the main application window. this is true for photoshop, flash, and practically every cross-platform application. personally, seeing my desktop and other open items while i work is a little distracting.

Brian Handler June 30th, 2005 02:18 PM

my complaint about that is my 2nd monitor happens to be on the left side...for the time being till my desk is finished. That throws the file menus and what not onto the monitor furtherest away from my start menu. More of a taste thing but I'd like to throw everything everywhere and not have to worry about it.

Henry Cho June 30th, 2005 02:32 PM

unless i'm misunderstanding something, you can switch your primary monitor in the windows control panel. you can also rearrange how monitors 1 and 2 are laid out (including putting em on top of each other, if you wanted to do so).

Brian Handler June 30th, 2005 02:35 PM

I sure can, but my second monitor is at a place thats not comfortable for regular viewing and I'm not overly interested in switching while I'm editing.

In a few weeks I'll have my new desk finished and it will be most amazing...i especially like the water tap I have installed.

Hugh DiMauro July 1st, 2005 07:19 AM

Just so everybody knows, the Premiere Pro 1.5 interface spreads beautifually across both monitors as long as you don't expand it. Wow. Nothing is cluttered and so far, it appears very easy on the eyes to use. It is a very nice interface workspace. So far, I'm not disappointed in making the switch from Vegas 6.0b.

Mike Teutsch July 1st, 2005 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info!

I was so disappointed when I set up my second monitor and could not move things around as I wanted. Busy, and never got around to calling Adobe.

How simple could it have been!? Just don't have it maximized! Now I have it all set up like I want and I set it up as my, "Custom Dual Monitor!"

Before this I did use the second monitor for running Photoshop and Elements while running Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. That is very handy too.

Thanks guys.

Mike

John McGinley July 27th, 2005 07:14 PM

I have my Premiere stretched across 3 monitors.

My wife keeps asking when my next rocket launch is. :-)

Hugh DiMauro July 28th, 2005 08:30 AM

Three monitors? I have a woody.

Christopher Lefchik July 28th, 2005 08:34 AM

Hugh,

Not sure if I understand your situation since I don't have the same type of dual monitor setup (primary on the right), but do you have your graphics card display mode set to "stretch"? Then when you maximize the application window it will fill both monitors (or all three, if you're one of the few like John with three monitors). I think this is also required to enable video overlay on the 2nd (not primary) display. You would need this if you want to move the playback windows to your 2nd display.