Best Settings for Export to Maintain Native Resolution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Settings for Export to Maintain Native Resolution

What are the export settings from Premier Pro CS 3 which maintain the native resolution of my project under the following circumstances.

I shoot HDV using the Canon XH A1 and edit my projects in this native resolution. Most of the project will be footage without color correction or other rendering. When it comes time to create a blue Ray disc it is obviously best to maintain this resolution and compression without transcoding. This involves employing the H. 264 codec of course but if I don't precisely match the output settings to buy material Premier will transcode.

I saw some good material here about this issue. I couldn't determine a precise answer.

Thank you in advance as always. Much appreciated
Kevin D Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't know if it's available in CS3 but if it is (it is in CS4) an option, MPEG2-BluRay in one of the available formats might be closer to your native format.../ Battle Vaughan
Attached Thumbnails
Best Settings for Export to Maintain Native Resolution-capture2.jpg  
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin D Brady View Post
What are the export settings from Premier Pro CS 3 which maintain the native resolution of my project under the following circumstances.

I shoot HDV using the Canon XH A1 and edit my projects in this native resolution. Most of the project will be footage without color correction or other rendering. When it comes time to create a blue Ray disc it is obviously best to maintain this resolution and compression without transcoding. This involves employing the H. 264 codec of course but if I don't precisely match the output settings to buy material Premier will transcode.

I saw some good material here about this issue. I couldn't determine a precise answer.

Thank you in advance as always. Much appreciated
What is your "native " resolution? 1080p/i, 720 30/60p?
I have the same question with my EX1 shooting in 1080 30p. An answer in another forum suggested output to MPEG2 at high bitrate 50mps or even 150mps. I haven't tried it yet.
Rob Lagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Export settings to avoid transcoding an HDV project

Thank you for these helpful responses! I did a little bit more research.
What I am referring to, of course, is outputting a Blu-Ray project which was shot on HDV using the same codec as the source material to avoid transcoding long sequences where there are no transitions or effects. The majority of my work is basic cuts on long sequences of musical performances.
I mistakenly made a reference to exporting in H.264. It is, of course, the MPEG-2 setting which is correct to match material shot in HDV.
What I found was that the default settings for Blu-Ray MPEG-2 medium quality in the export menu of Premier created files which appear not to have been transcoded. I tested these for their similarity to the project codec simply by reimporting them and placing them on the timeline. They did not trigger a red "render indeed" bar above them indicating that they were the same codec as their project resolution. Therefore I believe they match.

The HDV codec from from my Canon XHA1 is 1440 x 1080i 25mps 29.97 fps Constant Bit Rate-the number of pictures in a group equals 12, P-frames occur every three frames
Premieres default settings above are slightly different although the decoder apparently decides not to re-encode. The difference is that those settings call for a variable bit rate one pass process. The average data rate is the same however at 25 MB per second.

My conclusion is that the Blu-Ray medium quality default MPEG-2 settings will export HDV material without transcoding. Any thoughts or comments appreciated

Kevin
Kevin D Brady is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite