Motion Tracking in AE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 9th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Motion Tracking in AE

So... I've figured out how to do motion tracking in After Effects, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to deal with stabilizing to a background that gets occluded at times and in various parts of the screen.

In particular, I'm "gluing" a user interface to a screen in a handheld shot. It's green, so there is action in front of the screen. I can corner pin, but once my reference point is obscured, things go nuts.

One thing that would help is if I could figure out how to erase a group of keyframes. Let's say my track is perfect for two seconds, but a 2;01 it goes haywire. How do I easily delete just those keyframes? If I can do that, then I can use a different set of reference points and go forward, until the next screw up. Eventually I'll get to the end.

Similarly, sometimes a corner goes out of frame. Any ideas for that case?

Thanks in advance!
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #2
Major Player

hey Jon

i think at one point or another (pun intended!!), us AE users have all had the same problem. annoying isn't it!

but there is a workaround. you can track something until it goes off screen, then carry on by combining it with a new tracking point. You combine motion trackers into a null object.

i can't explain it in text, but as always, andrew kramer comes to the rescue! can't quite remember which tutorial it was that covered it, but i have a hunch it was the one on set extensions:

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools
good luck!
Richard

p.s. to delete keyframes, you simply click on them (or highlight several) and press delete :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Trustee

You can easily delete the keyframes from the tracking. Select the clip and hit "U (you)" which shows all keyframes.

I am a current member/student at FXPHD.com and recently saw an example of what you want to do. If I remember correctly, he ran the tracker, stopped it and deleted a few keyframes, then went ahead several frames and started the tracker again.

The videocopilot tut could be this: VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Richard,

That was perfect. The null object trick is just what I needed to learn!

Also, I figured out how to delete a subset of keyframes - you just drag a box around them with the mouse and hit delete.

Now, back to my compositing...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite