Unusual sound problem in Premiere Cs3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 13th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Unusual sound problem in Premiere Cs3

Hi folks

I've been having a problem with my sound recently and it's slowing me down big style.

A few minutes after loading up Cs3 the sound begins cutting out on the timeline. After pressing play the sound begins then cuts off after about 5 seconds, then it starts again then another 5 seconds later it goes off and continues to do this. If I close premiere and start it up again the sound is ok for 5-10 minutes. Then it all begins again.

Has anyone else come across this problem or got any suggestions as to how I can fix it. It's defo a premiere problem as all other sound on the other programmes is fine.

I'm running a quad core 4gb memory with vista 64 if that helps.

Thanks in Advance

Tom
Tom Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Tom,

Disable all non essential items, anti-virus, Dsl, etc. I know of two instances where anti-virus caused the same problem. If that doesn't work I would update the drivers and also move the sound card up on the motherboard if you have any free slots. If these don't work delete all audio and only do silent films. :)
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Your problems aren't that unusual. Pr has (had?) some memory issues that causes problems like you describe. I don't know the details, but basically the program is just not allocating enough memory to the audio.

Are you editing a multicam sequence? If so , there are some workarounds. You can search for multicam audio on this forum.

Is the problem new? If so, the advice given in the previous posts may help. I would also suggest reinstalling Pr.

My audio problems were mostly solved by going to CS4 and increasing the memory to 8GB, but I understand this might be not be the most practical advice for you. The bottom line is, try to increase the memory available to Pr.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Tom, could be a shot in the dark. When you put the clip on the timeline, has the sound been conformed (look in bottom right of window)?

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Major Player

What you are describing can happen if you are working with a Matrox card.

Under Preferences/Audio Hardware, make sure that Matrox Player is checked, and not Premiere Player.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Join the club, I have exactly the same problem as you describe, working on xp pro with 4 gig's of memory, I do have a soundblaster card installed and don't have virusscanner or other not editing related stuff installed. In my case it all works fine for half an hour and then the sound starts to cut away every 10 seconds. A restart helps again for maybe 10 minutes and a full system restart gives me again about 30 minutes hassle free operation.
I was told it's just like that because Premiere leaks memory and that I need to install a 64 bits OS and at least double the memory.
As much as I like working with Premiere I"m seriously considering changing to canopus edius, I have seen it in action and it eat's hdv files for breakfast :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks guys. Must say I'm impressed with the helpful suggestions. There's a bit there for me to try and I'll let you know the results.

It's been pretty annoying and always id when something randon happens and you have no idea whats going on. The forums have saved me, when premiere says the licence has expired of theres a debug error etc

Keep up the good work

Tom
Tom Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post
What you are describing can happen if you are working with a Matrox card.

Under Preferences/Audio Hardware, make sure that Matrox Player is checked, and not Premiere Player.
I found this but It'll only let me select the premiere player. This might be a clue...
Tom Phillips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite