CS5 Release Date! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CS5 Release Date!

Adobe CS5 Global Launch will be April 12th

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Launch
Tom Santopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM   #2
New Boot

Awesome. I can not wait to see what Adobe has in store. This is my version to upgrade on, no more CS3 for me.
Ben Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Being that i just bought the CS4 Master collection, i wonder if it's too much to upgrade to CS5..
Hopefully the pricing would be fair...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #4
Major Player

I can't wait for the Mercury playback engine - Want to find out the full list of supported cards now.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Not going to upgrade anytime soon, still use cs3 for my hdv projects and for realtime multi-cam playback and color correction I can use edius pro and their avi hq codec, works like a charm on my "old" q6600 pc.
It seems you"d need a pc that was able to controll a space ship some years ago, their specs in regard to the 'right' video card and amount of memory are a bit ridiculous, just look at their demo of mercury, that test pc is loaded with memory and processor power and uses a expensive videocard.
nevertheless, if your business handles all kinds of heavy formats, color correction and effects stuff, mercury will be a blessing when time is money if you can spare the cash.
In their mercury demo I saw that there was a media manager added to get files from your harddrive from right inside your nle, something vegas had for years, better late then never I guess but it is a welcome addition.
On the other hand I see that they still need to work with nesting a timeline to get multicam working, just like in cs3, well maybe CS8 will finally include some innovative features in regard to that. As I see it it's not all about speed as there are other ways to achieve that using intermediate codecs, I"m really curious what other groundbreaking features they have added beside mercury, first looks give me the impression it's just cs3 on steroids.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Major Player

I logged on to the adobe site around 6:30 and saw the announcement and knew today would be a good day. Haha.

I am on CS2 and am shooting a lot of 720 video with my nikon d90. CS2 lacks a lof of HD exporting functions... CS5 I will be getting along with a new computer with an i7 hex!
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
I can't wait for the Mercury playback engine - Want to find out the full list of supported cards now.
Is it confirmed yet whether Mercury Playback Engine will be released with CS5? Or is that one of the things we'll find out on 12th?
Matthew Longbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Seeing a reference to it is included on the CS5 launch page, I would assume it is.
My question is will it work on laptop/mobile video cards?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Seems like a silly question... but is the "launch" date necessarily the "release" date?
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The launch date does not usually equal release date. The launch date is the public disclosure of CS5 and at the launch they will detail the release date, features, and pricing.
Roger Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
Same here.
Brant Gajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Noa, I use Newteks' Speed Edit for the real-time playback feature, and I've used it with 2 HDV streams in an SD timeline(for pan & scan moves) on just a core2Duo 2ghz processor. I've edited in PPro, FCP and Speed Edit and still prefer PPro, so I'm looking forward to the mercury playback engine. But given Edius's and Newtek's long standing real-time technologies, I do feel Adobe (and Apple) seem to be suprisingly behind the curve on this particular subject.

That said, I'm looking forward to the mercury playback engine and more of the new features adobe will undoubtedly add. And, aside from all the gritches and quips, I'm always impressed by how much work the programmers put into the software.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Erik, I guess in a year or two, adobe's system requirements won't be a problem anymore but now, If you want to get the most out of it, it's a big extra investment. I mean, trow a version of edius on their test system and even conversion time to their hq codec almost is no issue and that system should fly as well after that without a mercury engine.
But, it is innovative that they manage to get that kind of interaction with GPU's and I'm sure other competitors will (have to) follow. I only wished the system specs were not that though.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #14
Trustee

In the article I read theres only a hand full of cards tested but that was a while ago they probably added more since then plus if you think about can the cards be THAT much different? just because they didnt specificly test them doesnt mean they wont work. Personally I just need 2 or 3 layers or RT AVCHD without alot of f/x BUT its has to scrub and play smoothly and responsively.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Has anyone seen any more details on CS5 minimum system requirements?

How will it compare those for CS3 / CS4?
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite