Nvidia GTX480/FX5800 + Adobe Mercury Playback Engine - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
... you can still have more than 3 layers just not with effects in RT. ie a 4 camera multicam switch.
Randy, this is exactly the question I had. If this is true, then it's good news indeed. Can anyone else confirm this, i.e. a four-track multicam sequence doesn't count against the 3-layer limit? I mean, while doing the multicam edit you are playing back all four layers of HD, albeit at reduced resolutions...
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #17
Major Player

Okay so I'm going to try pick up a GTX 285 second hand but is the MPE that good?

I've got a slowish AMD quad core 2.1 CPU and 8GB of ram with a Nvidia Quadro 3700. Since there is no support for this card is it worth as a stop gap to improve my rendering/exporting times?

I'd also need a new PSU but is it worth spending £200/$300 for the use of MPE?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #18
Trustee

David,

My experience with CS5 has shown performance increases around 40% across the board without hardware supported MPE. That is nice!!!.

I suggest you first get CS5 and try it. You may be pleasantly surprised by the speed increase and the stability.

In Q3 support for the GTX-480 Fermi card is expected and that may be a better investment than an end of the line GTX-285.

I would wait for the first benchmarks to appear, that show the performance gains from MPE.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #19
Major Player

Harm I think you are right. I'm also using Cineform NeoHD v4 and of course there isnt a GPU support for that so I might as well upgrade to Cineform V5 and save up for a decent i7 machine.

I'm exporting a 20 min Cineform file with some effects and what no and its took 2hours 40 mins and still 2 hours left.

If CS5 can knock of 40% of that I'd be happy!
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #20
Trustee

David,

On my system a 26 second time line with four tracks, AVCHD 29.97i, HDV 1080 25i, XDCAM-EX 1920 25i and titles, heavily loaded with 3-way CC, Gaussian blur, fast CC, echo, motion/scale/position, opacity all keyframed with bezier curves, BW, blends and similar effects, exporting to H.264 took 28 seconds without hardware MPE. That is nearly RT.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Definitely good news Harm.
Brant Gajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Anyone have any experience using MPE on a Mac? Would have to be GTX 285 or Quadro 4800 as those are the only two supported...
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite