DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Another Day, Another "Headscratcher"/Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/475947-another-day-another-headscratcher-help.html)

Bruce Pelley March 31st, 2010 09:04 AM

Another Day, Another "Headscratcher"/Help!

To set this up, my entire editing experience to date has been with SD projects as I personally have several GL-2's. Today a new roadblock has just come up.PLeas elet me explain/detail.

I acquired a very high quality media HD clip which I want to incorporate sucessfully into the timeline whose specs are as follows:

24 bit/pixel depth, 48k audio, 1280 x720, 60i (59+ frames per second) Quicktime file in .mov format.

When I attempt to play the clip after placing it on the timeline the results are:
a) No audio
b) All you see is white on the screen
c) It won't play!

I suspect maybe I needed this as an .avi file at least to be able to play it.

So I tried to convert the QT/.mov file to .avi and got bad quality as the original is crisp,fresh,flashy and vibrant.

How do I manage/process this Hi Q file sucessfully and make it be compatible along with the rest of the timeline material?

Any solutions,reccomendations and suggestions are most certainly welcomed.

Thanks once again to all!

Steve Kalle March 31st, 2010 10:29 AM

Are you:
1) using Premiere CS#?
2) PC or Mac?

I am thinking that you are on a PC and this MOV file is ProRes or some other high bitrate codec. Download the quicktime decode software from Calibrated{Q} XD Decode to see if this lets you play it. Its not free software but the next step could be to download the windows ProRes playback codec.

Good luck.

Bruce Pelley March 31st, 2010 10:49 AM

Hi Steve!

Sorry for the information gap.

The original HD clip (untouched) looks great played back on Quicktime/PC version.

I use a PC and use CS2 and 3.

I don't know the background as to how the clip was created & saved as it was e-mailed to me by an organization who went out of thier way to do me a favor. The creators/source are so maxed out workwise that it took them 2 months just to respond to my request so I don't want to bother them unless really necessary hence this post here.

Never heard of the Window ProRes playback codec until you brought it to my attention. I'll Google that and see what turns up/happens. Is that easily installed?

Do you have any info and how to convert the clip to an plain old .AVI file at or near similiar quality perhaps or will that results in a similar problem in a diff format?

Thanks for you input and hope to contionue the dialogue.

Peter Manojlovic March 31st, 2010 12:41 PM

Just quickly cruising over your post....

Here's what i know...
1280x720 is most likely produced by a JVC camera. That being said, it's not 60i, but rather 60P...
JVC's nowadays are producing container formats with the mp4 extension..There's a utility by Mainconcept that allows for native editing for these files on the PPro timeline..
The cost is insignificant, if you're charging the client, and plan on using JVC footage often..

That's what little i DO know...

Bruce Pelley March 31st, 2010 01:17 PM

Been doing a little digging around

It appears that I was sent the following after having G-Spot do its thing!

the clip is: an Apple HD ProRes 422 media (.i.e. lossless)

apch: is the codec

frame rate= 59.941 so yes, it may well be 60p not 60i.

I wonder why PP CS can't cope with this one?

Peter Manojlovic March 31st, 2010 08:03 PM

Thank goodness for freeware!!!
Yes, if it's ProRes, then that's a codec suited for MAC..Whatever your footage, it was
converted at one point, and isn't the original.

I'm assuming you're on a PC. If that's the case, then you'll need to dig into the forums, and find out what other people are using to bridge the two PC's. I'm not sure how to get ProRes footage into a PC. Sorry...

Good luck!!!

Battle Vaughan March 31st, 2010 09:29 PM

Current versions of Quicktime include a read-only (you can open it, you can't write to it) version of Prores codec, or you can download the pc decoder from Apple: Apple ProRes QuickTime Decoder 1.0 for Windows

hth / Battle Vaughan

Ervin Farkas April 1st, 2010 06:19 AM

That's correct; for about two years now the QT codec for PC can read ProRes. If for whatever reason you need to stay with an old version of the QT codec, then use the ProRes decoder add-on.

I have not done this in PremPro, but Edius happily edited ProRes footage after updating QT. My work-around before the QT update was to transcode the footage on a friend's Mac using Final Cut to QT Animation.