Premiere CS4 System Requirements for AVCHD editing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 8th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere CS4 System Requirements for AVCHD editing?

Hi, I have been looking all over for Premiere cs4's system requirements for editing with avchd. I am in the midst of buying the nx5u, but I also need a new system. I'm Looking for something between 6-800 dollars, which I know isn't too much. Basically would a computer such as (link below) work for somewhat smooth editing with the avchd files?

Asus - Essentio Desktop with Intel® Core™ i5 Processor - CG5275-AR003

BTW, I'm not necessarily looking at that specific system, just happens to have the specs of ones I am looking at.

Thanks! -Nick
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nick, IMO you should scrimp, save, beg, borrow but not steal to get the i7 CPU. All the other stuff like H/Ds & memory can be added later. Also make sure you have enough expansion slots for cards and memory. The other place not to cheap out on is a video card. I quickly scanned the specs on the computer you listed and what stood out was intel HD video. I am assuming that means on board. In my experience video editing software can be fickle and crash. You don't want to give the software any excuses to act up by overloading the hardware plus you be ready for the next version from Adobe. Unless you really need CS4 I'd choose the better hardware now and downgrade the software to save $$$. The more you spend now the less you'll pay later in time and frustration.

That's my two cents worth.

Happy hunting.

John
John Mulvihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info and I will definitely lean towards the i7, but it doesn't exactly answer my question. I also failed to mention that I already use and own CS4 so it is not an option as far as my choice for software (but of course I'd consider cs5 in the near future.

Anyway my main question is... what are adobe's requirements (cs4) for smooth editing with avchd files?

and also, if possible, post links to well put together systems that would meet these requirements in a 6-700 dollar range (up to a thousand if need be).

Thanks very very much!
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

These are the minimum requirements specified by Adobe, but for smooth editing of AVCHD you'll need to go much, much better -- a couple of orders of magnitude, perhaps.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4: System Requirements

A better baseline is the Videoguys' recommended system:

Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' DIY7.7: Intel Core i7 with Vista 64 AND Now Windows 7

But notice that these are build-it-yourself prices and are laughably inaccurate -- they don't reflect current street prices and leave out some key components, including, in my opinion, enough RAM and disk drives. Actual street prices at NewEgg bring this baby up to about $3K, and that's assuming you can build it yourself.

But don't buy anything just yet -- Adobe is officially "launching" CS5 on Monday and will likely list system requirements and recommendations -- including supported video cards -- then.

Could you just "get by" trying to edit AVCHD on the system you listed? Possibly, but it likely won't be much fun. All depends upon what you're willing to put up with.
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Trustee

For AVCHD I put minimum requirements at:

i7-930 CPU, 6 GB memory, 3 SATA 7200 disks and a decent video card.

For CS5 / MPE the minimum video card is GTX-285.

More memory is better.

Also have a look here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/598040?tstart=30

Whichever way you turn, your budget is insufficient. Count on at least $ 1,800

The indicated budget class is for DV/HDV, the economical class is for AVCHD, and the warrior class is for anything up to and including Red 4K.

Last edited by Harm Millaard; April 9th, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Trustee

I approximately agree with Harm, although even an i7-920, with two 7200 drives and a $100 video card (e.g. GTS250) will edit modest AVCHD projects just fine.

What I don't agree with is that such a system would cost anywhere near $1800!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #7
Trustee

Graham,

Simple calculation, based on current Newegg prices:

ASUS P6T WS Supercomputer $ 316, I7-920 $ 280 or i7-930 $ 290, 3 x 2 GB OCZ Platinum $ 216, 3 x Samsung F3 1 TB $ 450, Velociraptor 300 GB $ 240, ATI HD-5770 $ 160.

This amounts to $ 1,672. Add to that case, PSU, CPU cooler, BR burner and miscellaneous stuff, and you have a good deal for $ 1,800.

For the $ 10 difference between the i7-920 and i7-930, the i7-930 is the better and more economical choice.

Or did you mean that the $ 1,800 figure was too low?

Last edited by Harm Millaard; April 10th, 2010 at 05:30 AM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I produce a fishing show locally, and all my cameras record in AVCHD. I have a love HATE relationship with it. You most likely know why I love and why I hate it. I also use Adobe CS4 and for the most part I have no issues (anymore).

I have 2 editing stations, each with nearly identical hardware. I do not have an i5 or i7 chip...and on that note i5 is an overpriced core 2 duo/quad. Both machines have an Intel q9550...(core 2 quad @ 2.83ghz), 8 gigs of ram, and 5 TB of storage. As long as I am NOT doing multicam with the AVCHD, these machines work perfect. Everyonce in a while there is a hickup in the system and instead of "fixing" it I have learned a work around. When the system clitches on a certain AVCHD Clip, I just go to that raw clip and send it to Cineform. Hey it works and no one is the wiser.

Long story short (since I like to ramble on) that you do not NEED an i7 or i5 chip to run AVCHD, but if you have money to spare the newest technology is always nice :) I built my rigs for nearly 700 (minus the hard drives and software of course) that was nearly a year ago!

I would recommend a Blackmagic Design card... it takes the pressure off the cpu when viewing the AVCHD. I just bought one a month ago, and I am impressed with its integration in adobe.
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I actually ended up going with a Gateway..... YES GATEWAY. I cleaned all the crappy programs out of it, threw in a bluray burner and got myself a nice 22" monitor and walahh my AVCHD editing workflow is great.

link:

Nick Popa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite