Adobe CS5 First Look article at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Wrangler

Adobe CS5 First Look article

Hey folks, been running around like the proverbial headless chicken at NAB. Should have posted this yesterday, but taking a moment to let you know that I've posted a brief "First Look" article on PPro CS5:

A First Look At Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 at DVInfo.net

A few quick bullets from looking at a prerelease version and from demos at NAB:

- It'll be at least a month until CS5 hits the street
- Adobe is confident that they have hit a home run; there will be none of the usual discount programs to pique people's interest (like the 10% off for NAB orders we've seen in the past).
- 64 bit and Mercury are both huge steps forward...on a respectable machine with one of the (few) supported nVidia cards, you can honestly get real time editing
- Most commonly used effects are GPU accelerated but not ALL effects are. You can filter effects so you only see GPU accelerated effects and therefore won't accidentally torpedo your editing performance
- Other goodies in PPro like Ultra Keyer and Blend Modes are GPU enabled -- it'll change the way you work when you don't have to be afraid to use these features for fear of choking your sequence!
- Content Aware in PhotoShop is real and it rocks
- The new AE rotoscoping rocks and rocks
- Metadata and script dialog (from Adobe Story, the script writing tool now in beta) persists all the way through your workflow right into the closed captioning and subtitles.

Ok, time is wastin'...gotta get back on the show floor!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 256MB of VRAM, is this enough for use of CS5 P and AE? Should I be looking at getting a second card in my Mac Pro (1,1)?

I'd prefer not to run out and buy a $2000 card just yet, but I'm sold on that roto brush (its Photoshop cousin is a god send for me).

I'm working with 720p 24/30FPS (with a final step of upscaling it to 1080p and 480 for content exportation to DVD and digital download).
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Trustee

There is no benefit in getting a second video card. SLI is not supported and if you want to use hardware rendering with MPE, you are limited to certified cards. If a card is not certified, you can not turn on Hardware MPE. The new Fermi GTX-480 appears to be the best choice for an affordable MPE card, but certification is only expected in Q3 with the first DOT release. They are rumored to leave the current crop of certified cards in the dust.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Trustee

What about the GTX-285? I thought that was supported. It will work in Windows and Mac.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Trustee

The GTX-285 is the least expensive certified card, but it is end-of-line and there is not yet any 'low' cost alternative. Certification of the GTX-480 Fermi card is expected in Q3 and if way faster than the 285 at a similar price.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
The GTX-285 is the least expensive certified card, but it is end-of-line and there is not yet any 'low' cost alternative. Certification of the GTX-480 Fermi card is expected in Q3 and if way faster than the 285 at a similar price.
I'll probably buy a 285 until the 480s are certified and come down in price.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Major Player

David... if I were you, I would hold off on the 285 (which is more likely to see an earlier price drop than the Fermi line) and wait and see how others fare with the 480.

As Harm mentioned, even at today's prices you'll pay about the same for either. I would be willing to wager that within a week of CS5's release, you are going to see real world feedback on the Fermi/CS5 combo.

All of that is moot if Adobe certification means compatibility and driver support does not yet exist. Then the 285 becomes your only choice for the immediate term.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying Edius-Life.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Yeah I wont be getting it for a couple of weeks anyways and it will be secondhand so I expect I wont pay anymore than £120/$190 for the card. I've got a slow ish editing system so the extra power will be handy.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Trustee

I cant wait for it to come out so I can get the demo. Performance is so relative guy say things like "oh you HAVE to get the 4500 if your going to get the benefits of CUDA" my needs are minor I do do alot of filters and things id like to see how the entry level compares. I hope after release there will be some kind of performance white paper which will chart out the differences in the cards.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Randy... I can relate to your perspective.

I do simple, single stream edits... mostly cuts. Anything more complex is tackled in After Effects. Edius has been an awakening for me.

But in the context of your comments, I think rather than a white paper from Adobe, if you do a monitoring of these forums, you are going to have a very large sample of a variety of setups.

The disappointing part of all of this is that Premiere users are waiting with bated breath and anticipation of costly hardware upgrades to do what? Preview in realtime?

It's that stark realization that slapped me upside the head and inspired me to move on.

Having said that... I have 5 or 6 years of Adobe based archives. So if "Crash-o-matic" can achieve the basics without a narrow and costly hardware upgrade, then sure.... I will update to CS5. But each day with Edius is making Premiere a more distant memory.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #11
Trustee

with a current computer and a simple graphics card, one can natively edit MPEG2 and h.264. I've done 90 minutes on a Premiere timeline with AE running side-by-side (CS3). Why oh why would I need to buy an Nvidia graphics card for one system when i can build a render farm?

I have done real-time keying and effects on native HDV footage on a laptop. Playback is not always real-time, but to really use CS5 would be to build a system from scratch.
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Trustee

I need to do 2 streams and I dont want to paint myself into a corner but working at the absolute edge of performance plus it does need to be smooth. If I can upgrade my video card and get this its worth it but I cant see me EVER getting one of those $1,000 cards I think $400 is my limit especially because I have 2 systems.
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Major Player

My approach to CS5 is going to be one of upgrading around the edges of my existing system.

A new NVIDIA card, either the GTX285, or maybe a Fermi model if they are proven to give better results. And bump my RAM up to 8gb.

I'm pretty much maxed out so far as CPU power on my old socket 775 board, so I will just have to see how things go on that front.

Another fringe benefit to my strategy is that I shouldn't run into any licensing issue with my OS (Win7 Ultimate 64-bit), or other software.... which saves a day or two of mind-numbing deactivations, reinstall, reactiviations.... hoping for no surprises along the way.

I'm curious to see the benefits of CUDA for TMPGenc as well.

All the while, I have Edius as a solid backup, and may ultimately install it as my mobile NLE on a MacBook for rough preview compilations in the field or on the road. I'll have an Express 34 slot, so it makes a nice companion for the EX1.

Wow.... this all looks so good in writing. There's got to be SOMETHING that is going to blow up, I just know it.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite