How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 5th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #196
Major Player

Maryus,

IIRC the FX 1800 has only 64 CUDA cores versus 96 on the 9600 GS. Thus, it is a combination of the lesser features of both the 9600 GS and the 9600 GT - a combination that's not found at all on any of the consumer 9600s.

On the other hand, all of the FX 580s have only 512MB of RAM. As a result, it cannot use MPE's GPU acceleration at all due to an insufficient amount of graphics RAM. And the FX 580 is based on the 9500 GT. And the only reason why it outperformed the GTX 275 in 3D modeling programs is that the GTX 275's drivers are not optimized for 3D content creation work. As a result, the FX 580 might be faster than most of the consumer GeForce cards in MPE's software-only mode.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #197
New Boot

The ideea was to use GTX for premiere and FX for modeling. It doesn't matter :P I'll anounce if it works when I get the card :D.

Last edited by Maryus Ionel; August 5th, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Maryus Ionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #198
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
However, I don't know if you can use a non-Quadro and a Quadro in the same PC since they use different drivers.
I have read on the nVidia web site that they do not recommend mixing Quadro and non-Quadro cards in the same system for exactly that reason.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #199
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
Hello Amr -

Others have tried it with success...but on a Windows only laptop. But honestly, I don't think it would matter if it was a Windows only laptop or a MBP.

Give it shot, I don't think you can screw up your machine...unless you totally don't know what you're doing. But if you follow the instructions to the letter, I don't think you can go wrong.

And just remember, the community members here, are here to help out too!! So you're not alone.
Thanks Andrew,

I seem to be misunderstood, i am not able to dare to buy the machine because it is expensive and that is gonna be a major loss if the PPE doesn't work on the GT 330M so this is why ám asking before i buy the machine ...

But what ám getting from your answer is ( YES ) the hack works on the GT 330M windows laptops ! right ..

Thanks again
Amr Toukhy
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM   #200
Regular Crew

Ive jst noticed there is a newer driver that came out last month.. 258.96

At the bottom is says "Supports the new GPU-accelerated features in Adobe CS5 ".... sOO its already been approved? Dont need to hack anymore?

Im running on 275.21 any point going to 258.96?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM   #201
Regular Crew

No Ozan you still need the hack - the hack is for the Adobe GPUsniffer which has nothing to do with Nvidia or its drivers. The only way we will get official support for more cards is if Adobe updates its software.

If you look you will see that the Nvidia drivers are 'one driver to rule them all' so the same driver that updates the 400 series also updates the 200 series. Thats why that line about CS5 is there - as it applies but only to the 285.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM   #202
Inner Circle

This has already been covered in the thread about the 5.0.2 update, but in case anyone missed it, you'll need to re-apply this hack after you update.

But you don't need to do any of the things that relate to "gpusniffer.exe"... just go to the cuda txt file and edit it to include your card. Simplest way, if for example you have a 480 but the file only specifies the 470 (which it will after the update), is to simply change the "7" in "470" to an "8" and be done with it. Less chance of errors or typos that way. Remember, the file doesn't need to list every card, only the one you have. If you do it this way you can safely ignore any of the instructions above that relate to the gpusniffer file.

And after going through the process after the update, I think I can safely say that the steps involving the NVidia control panel are also completely unnecessary. I did not make any of the changes suggested above and GPU acceleration still works fine. Although I don't suppose it can hurt if you do so.

It appears that all you really have to do is make sure your card in in the txt file.

Last edited by Adam Gold; September 3rd, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #203
New Boot

Offtopic

It could be a little offtopic but Kronos 5 has arrived for AE CS5 and it enables some CUDA features for the retiming and it has the same compatibility list GeForce GTX285, Quadro FX 3800, CX, FX 4800 and FX 5800. I can't find no CUDA txt file to add some more cards :(.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/kronos/
Maryus Ionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #204
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryus Ionel View Post
It could be a little offtopic but Kronos 5 has arrived for AE CS5 and it enables some CUDA features for the retiming and it has the same compatibility list GeForce GTX285, Quadro FX 3800, CX, FX 4800 and FX 5800. I can't find no CUDA txt file to add some more cards :(.
Actually, Kronos 5 was written before Adobe released the 5.0.2 update. At the time of its development, Adobe Premiere CS5 was still on version 5.0.1. The release notes were dated August 2010 while 5.0.2 came out at the beginning of this month (September).
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #205
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Niswanger View Post
Curious, should I even bother trying this with my card?

ASUS ENGT240/DI/1GD3/A GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

I'm running Win 7 64bit, i5 860, 12Gb DDR3 RAM, single monitor.

Thanks,
Roy
A GT 240 with 1GB of (G)DDR5 memory would have been better. My testing showed that it performed surprisingly close to a GTX 470 that's in my main rig - only one or two seconds slower when both cards are run on the exact same system at the exact same CPU clock speed. As another site that does Premiere Pro CS5 testing in MPE GPU mode found, that 1GB DDR3 GT 240 would have been about 30 to 50 percent slower than the GDDR5 version of that same card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cook View Post
I was looking at the gts 250 as its cheap as chips but am wondering, given MPE uses the CUDA cores, is the fact that the 250 only has 128 a limiting factor? Cuda core count goes something like:

9800 GTX: 128

220: 48
240: 96
250: 128
260: 192
275: 240
280: 240
285: 240
295: 480 (240 per GPU as its a dual GPU card so I would assume adobe wont us both)

470: 448
480: 480

No offense to Randy but his system probably isnt the best measure to dismiss the 250, given the weird readings he is getting trying to find his card.

Would be interested if someone could throw some red footage on the time line and see how the different cards handle that with a few effects?

Otherwise it would seem that the 260 is the best bang for the buck as its half the price of the 285 and from all reports handles most anything you throw at it.

EDIT:

Found this link and a few others on google and it appears the 250 with 1gb memory can indeed work very well once you modify the list of cards

Adobe Forums: Unsupported GPU for CS5

So given the 250 is almost half the price again of the 260 - might be the way to go for now?
Actually, in my testing, the GT 240 GDDR5 and the GTS 250 would have been about equal to one another in MPE performance (with, surprisingly, a slight edge to the GDDR5 GT 240). This is because the timeline rendering portion of the PPBM5 test is sensitive to the graphics memory bandwidth, and that the DDR5 memory with the GT 240 actually has a slightly higher memory bandwidth than the DDR3 memory with the GTS 250 despite the 240's DDR5 memory being only 128-bit versus the 256 bits of the 250's DDR3 memory. (The GTS 250 is clearly the better GPU of the two for gaming, however.)

And since that list was posted, several new Fermi-derived GPUs have arrived. The GTX 465 is a "crippled" version of the GTX 470, with only 352 CUDA cores (versus 448 for the GTX 470) and a 256-bit GDDR5 memory bus (versus 320 bits with the 470). The more recent GTX 460 (336 CUDA cores) comes in two flavors: one with a 192-bit GDDR5 memory bus, the other with a 256-bit GDDR5 memory bus. The 256-bit version of the 460 is available with 1GB or 2GB of VRAM. And two cheaper Fermis, the GTS 450 and the GT 430, have 192 and 96 CUDA cores and 128-bit GDDR5 and 128-bit DDR3 memory, respectively.

Thus, if someone chooses the GT 430, I would not recommend it unless that user is stuck with an older Intel CPU or an AMD CPU. That GPU would have performed roughly equal to that of the DDR3 version of the outgoing GT 240 - and slower than the GDDR5 version of the 240.
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #206
Tourist

about 2-3 months back, when the instructions came out on how to make the gtx480 work in premiere pro CS5 MPE, the nvidia control panel, program settings in manage 3D settings, recognized as premiere pro CS5 as adobe premiere pro CS5.
i had to reinstall CS5 just several hours ago, and now, program settings recognizes adobe premiere pro CS5 as adobe premiere pro CS4.
nvidia drivers used: 260.89, for win7x64
checking on project settings of premiere pro cs5, render engine is MPE.

question: what happened to the former and is there a difference to the latter?

TIA
Julio Madiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #207
Regular Crew

Don't worry about the NVidia driver saying CS4, it is reallying pointing to CS5.
David Knarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #208
New Boot

trying to alter the notefile

hi guys,
obviously im doing something really silly...............................
it says "access denied" when i try to save the altered file in notepad.

any ideas?

cheers,
ronán
Ronan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #209
New Boot

sorry guys

found the answer deep in this thread,
thanks,
ronan.

moved the file to desktop to enable admin rights.
Ronan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #210
Trustee

I know people are going back and forth with this huge thread but I have a question. I am in the market for a new video card. I currently have a GT9800 I saw a GTS-450 fermi for like $120 if I hacked it would that give me good CUDA performance?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite