How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 31st, 2010, 04:54 AM   #121
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
--Edit. The photo-jpeg files will be much bigger than H.264 files so the disk read requirement is quite a bit higher, and goes up proportionally with layers. You might check your disk read speed.
Yes youīre right, but isnīt the file size of Cineform HD bigger than Photo-Jpeg? So, if Cineform runs smootly on your machine it would have to be the same with Foto-Jpeg. Do you have a RAID0 on your system? Maybe that makes the difference? At the moment this behavior is pretty much of a "mystery" to me and I havenīt a clue what is causing it. I just gave DNxHD a shot - but the same story => after I added a second layer it began to stutter.

With CS4 I had to convert the H264 files to a codec that is faster, better editable and has a better quality - I used Photo-Jpeg for that. Now it seems to me that I have to make a choice between => speediness (h264) vs quality - simply to go a bit over the top. Could that really be the case?
Uwe Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:42 PM   #122
New Boot

Ok, this is all exciting and cool, BUT, if its so easy as this, and it is really easy cuz I've done it, why isn't Nvidia making it generally available? Are we not risking our gear? Could we be risking more than just the Graphics card, perhaps the Motherboard or other vital components?
Jose Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:41 PM   #123
Tourist

How to run notepad as administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
Finally got my GTX 470 and today my CS5. Trying to make it work I try to change cuda_supported_cards.txt but when I try to save it I do not have the permission. I am logged in as an administrator and I have tried to unclick the write protection in the premiere folder and on the file - but no luck - HELP
The trick is to RIGHT CLICK on the Notpad icon. You will see the option to run (notepad) as Administrator. Once you open Notepad then browse to the file you want to modify.

BTW Notepad is fine for simple programming edits, but the free Crimson Editor is great for more extensive editing. Rowby
Rowby Goren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #124
Regular Crew

SOoo whats the best way to go... GTX 285 or GTX 470?

i noticed there is a GTX 295 would that be better?

Q9550 overlcocked
raid 0 setup
8 gigs ram
windows 7 - 64bits
graphic card - pending....
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #125
Trustee

get the 470.....

they haven't done anything with MPE to take advantage of multiple GPU's.... yet.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM   #126
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
get the 470.....

they haven't done anything with MPE to take advantage of multiple GPU's.... yet.
did the 470 get approved yet from adobe? Or the card is still to new?
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #127
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozan Biron View Post
did the 470 get approved yet from adobe? Or the card is still to new?
Officially it isn't supported, but if you use the hack it works just fine.
Brant Gajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #128
Major Player

For those of you saying it's running smoothly, what's your playback resolution? 1/4, 1/2, or full? Could someone confirm that it plays back smooth at Full resolution?
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #129
Major Player

Has anyone tried the GTX 465 card? On paper is seems pretty cost effective, 352 stream processors (compared to 240 in the 285) but i'm also conscious that other factors come into play. The 285 is a single gpu and some others cards are two put together which aren't taken full advantage of.

Is there a good place to find detailed specs? And the which specs matter? The nvidia site seems pretty light on details.

thanks
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #130
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Has anyone tried the GTX 465 card? On paper is seems pretty cost effective, 352 stream processors (compared to 240 in the 285) but i'm also conscious that other factors come into play. The 285 is a single gpu and some others cards are two put together which aren't taken full advantage of.

Is there a good place to find detailed specs? And the which specs matter? The nvidia site seems pretty light on details.

thanks
paul
Should be CUDA enabled. Just use the hack.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #131
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant Gajda View Post
Should be CUDA enabled. Just use the hack.
I know that but on paper it seems better (and cheaper) than a 285 GTX but there could be a catch

- speeds of the clock are different to the 285
- memory is DDR5 compared to 3 (faster) but the bandwidth is 256bits compared to 512 for the 285 (slower)

So i'm trying to learn more about what makes for a good card for use with PPro.

I know that the 295 on paper is better but it's done by using two lesser GPUs and PPro doesn't take advantage of both, so actually it's worse.

cheers
paul
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #132
Regular Crew

Probably going to be hard to know unless someone has/had both a 285 and 465. I doubt you will actually notice much difference. If Adobe gets around to supporting multiple GPUs, then thats a whole different game.
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #133
Major Player

I'm really depressed/upset by the power requirements for the Geforce Fermi series of cards! 400w at full speed - Ouch!

Since my NLE machine and my develop and games box is the same computer, I guess I'll have to get the 480 card - for maximum FPS when I kill pixels, and enough CUDA to keep Premiere Happy!

I have a new intel i875K rig on the way, with 3x SSD and 8gb mem + Geforce 480

// Lazze
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Siden View Post
I'm really depressed/upset by the power requirements for the Geforce Fermi series of cards! 400w at full speed - Ouch!
The specs on the nvidia site state maximum power at 250W for the 480. (Compared to 200W for the 285).

Where's the 400w coming from, because that is huge...

cheers
paul
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #135
Major Player

Hi,

I checked this review: ( power and heat )

Power Consumption And Heat : GeForce GTX 480 And 470: From Fermi And GF100 To Actual Cards!

// Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite