CS5 Pr Plugins - Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Major Player

CS5 Pr Plugins - Help

I'm wondering if a Photoshop wizard could help me out or point me into the right direction.

In CS4 I use 2-3 plugins that arent ready for CS5.

Magic Bullet Vignette
Magic Bullet Grad sky (blue + orange)

MagicBullet isnt ready until "summer"

Now I want to start using CS5 so without these plugins makes it hard for me but these are simple ones that could be created in photoshop and then I could just had a PSD layer over the top of my required footage? My source footage is 1440*1080.

Sample unedited clip

http://www.northern-loop.tv/Pictures...tte%20none.JPG

Added effect
http://www.northern-loop.tv/Pictures/Vignette.JPG

Its not a massive differnce on the vignette but I like to use it. The grad blue sky/orange is more for the same over half of the screen.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Major Player

David... CS5 is keeping you hopping!

Your method of laying in a Photoshop layer to mimic the MB filter is a good approach.

Are you uncertain how to create the layer, or how to replicate the coloration created by MB?

A good starting point would be to get a sample frame from your footage into Photoshop and use that as your background image..... then create a new layer and create your color gradient. Save as a PSD, then import the individual layer into your Premiere project.

If your effect looks good in Photoshop, ie; transparency, etc.... you probably won't have to do any adjustments to your video track in Premiere such as opacity, levels, etc.

Does that help?
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm not the best at PS but lets give it a google and test.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

David,

Read your post and had a look at some of your material...and it was very interesting for me to see what an impact the vingetting makes.

On TopGear it's blatantly obvious - your touch is a little more subtle.

Your tripod work is light-years ahead of mine!

Your footage looks crisp and vibrant - and I for one would be very interested to learn more about your workflow and encoding. I too have a Z1 and use CS4 at present...I guess you are using a variety of MB effects? I sometimes struggle to output work that is really crisp...it might be a question of encoding or codecs at my end.

Your hand-held drifts around the cars are fine but I reckon some sort of stabilization would lift the production values and improve on what already looks very good.

Sean
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you for your kind words Sean.

Tripod footage can be hit and miss for me. Some projects just click (WRC GB 2008) and others I get mad at myself for not doing better. I guess it’s just fine tweaking things but as I don't do this full time each time I pick up the camera it’s like starting again.

I do have a stedicam Merlin but a lot of my work I don't have the time to be setting things up. If you checked my YouTube channel you'll see its all motoring stuff, car events that you can't ask the owner to do that again because they aren’t there for that - i.e. making my video look good. They are there so they can have fun and if I capture that well it’s a bonus.

I do take a lot of stuff from BBC's Top Gear but I like to put my own take on it. My ethos is to deliver fun/punchy videos and not to ruin the noise of a big V8! I'm still learning and hope to carry on for many years and maybe get the chance to do it full time. Everything I'd done is self-taught and of course through DVInfo.

My workflow... well that seems to change each time I do a video. I have just purchased Sony's MRC1K solid state recorder so that will shake things up and save me so many hours getting the footage onto the PC. Couple of clicks and the footage is there, one of the main reasons is the time saved. I'm also off to WRC Portugal in 3 weeks so if I manage to capture something on the stage it’s only a matter of minutes before I can get the footage into an editing suite.

Filters and effects I have are MB and Boris Complete. Like I said I probably use the Vignette a lot but not so much that you really notice it, just enough so it adds something to the shot and I probably use a grad blue sky for the dull UK weather.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite