Excruciatingly slow titler in PPro CS5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Excruciatingly slow titler in PPro CS5?

Anybody else running into this problem with the new CS5?

I'm running a downloaded Production Premium CS5. It is running under Win 7 Pro on an ASUS P6T Deluxe 2 mobo, nVidia GTX 260, 12 gB RAM. MPE is enabled with CUDA support. I have the settings optimized for performance.

I've been editing a 1½ hour dance recital, 5 camera multicam shoot (4 HDV streams and 1 AVCHD). Everything was edited and is now rendered to a single timeline with chapter markers ready for export to Encore. Everything ran much faster and easier than with CS4 and I haven't had any crashes. It was like editing standard DV.

Or it was until I tried to add titles. When adding the titles, everything slowed to an absolute crawl. For instance, I call up a default still title. It appears immediately in the project box. But drag and drop it on the timeline and I have to wait 20 seconds before I can do anything. It is going to be a simple text box with a fade in and fade out. I drag and drop the basic cross fade effect (marked as MPE enabled) to the start of the title. I can't do anything for another 15 to 30 seconds. Same thing when I drop the fade out on the title. Then, I double click on the title to open the title editing box. I have to wait another 15 to 25 seconds. Sometimes, I have to wait 20 seconds before any typing appears. You get the picture. I've just rendered 11 titles. It took 35 minutes. It was so bad, I'm considering exporting the timeline to an AVI file that I can open in CS4 add titles there.

Have I missed an Adobe setting somewhere? Or is the titler in this iteration of CS5 just unusably slow?
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a very long scrolling title and it doesn't do that. Make sure there is no programs running in the background like startup programs. I have unchecked all my startup programs.

Jun
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is nothing running from Startup and not much was running besides an antivirus/firewall. I used WinPatrol to go through all the processes & etc. to shut off anything I don't need for running PPro CS5.

The problem may be related to having too many layers or "too long" a project, or maybe both.

This morning, I tried opening a new sequence with a 30 second video clip and then added a title. The process was still very slow compared to CS4 but was much faster than with the full 1½ hour timeline.

Previously, with CS4 (and a Matrox MXO2 mini), I found that multi-cam timelines really slowed down when they got longer than 30 minutes. The longer they got, the slower things went. I got in the habit of making short (15-20 minute) sequences and then combining all the sequences on a final timeline for export to Encore.

With CS5, this project didn't start slowing down until the timeline/sequence got to the 50 minute mark.

For me, the solution to this problem seems to be going back to short timeline sequences and putting in titles as I go.
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Jay, is your video hard drive in raid? you should be using at least raid 0 for faster access. is your scratch disk in a separate hard drive from your video drive? rather than those things, if you still have a problem, it must be a hardware problem, like a memory module failure or if you don't have the latest driver for you graphics card, check out their website for upgraded driver optimized for cuda and win7.

Jun
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Jun--
Following up on your earlier suggestions, separating the scratch files from the source files made no difference. (I've got two raid arrays going and both have more than ample throughput.) The video GTX 260 drivers are the latest available from PNY.

I also exported an edited sequence to AVI and called it up in CS4. While CS5 exhibited titling lags, CS 4 did not.

Right now, I'm waiting for a DVD coding project to get done and I'll try to test the RAM, but it seems unlikely that the problem is in the RAM. I'm able to pile multiple effects over multiple layers of video with no perceptible slowdown until the timeline got to about 50 minutes long and then the slowdown was slight. It is just the titler that seems to drag.

If nobody else is seeing this and it is not a RAM issue, then I have to suspect that the possibility that something was corrupted in the downloading or unpacking process. I may need to uninstall and reinstall.
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #6
Tourist

When you say you have the most up to date drivers from PNY, Are you referring to 197.45 ( NVIDIA DRIVERS 197.45 WHQL )?
Ezzat El Halabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Yup. I downloaded the 197.45 driver update back around the end of April when I heard or read somewhere that it was specifically optimized for CS5. It was in place when I ran into the titling slowdown.

Now, I'm working on editing another dance recital today. It is a slightly longer program than the one where I ran into problems. It is also a multi-camera shoot made using the same 5 cameras (four HDV 1080i streams and one 1080iFX AVCHD stream.) Same exact editing presets etc. I've divided it into two sequences, each about an hour long. (With the previous edit, I had divided it into a couple of 50 miniute sequences.) I've just made 34 titles with no slowdown issues whatever.

The only difference in process between the two projects was that, with titles for the the previous recital, I typed in the text because that recital's handout/program was in a weird font that was hard to scan and OCR. With the current project I was able to scan & OCR and so was cutting pasting text rather than typing it all. Typing in a title in the current project does not make any difference to the editing speed.

I just went back into the previous project and the titler still runs dog slow there.

Go figure.

I'm still searching for any setting that might be different.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite