How to edit 1080i HDV and 25p AVC-HD in same CS5 Timeline - what Preset to use?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to edit 1080i HDV and 25p AVC-HD in same CS5 Timeline - what Preset to use??

Hello to everyone!

Need your help! Really bad!
I shot quite a lot of footage last Month! And will shoot much more in next 2 (until the end of Production)

And about half of it is shot with SONY Z-1 -- INTERLACED 1440x1080 (25i - PAL)

And the other half is shot with CANON 5D MkII -- PROGRESSIVE 1920x1080 (25p - PAL)..

I DO HAVE NEW CS5 PREMIERE - so CANON 5D footage works smooth (although, I have the NeoScene codec for previous version, as well)...

My Q. is ---- WHICH PRESET TO USE - or to BUILD new "DESKTOP" one???
And also;

1 - INTERLACED or PROGRESSIVE - is it better to de-interlace my 1080i material or to somehow interlace my 25p material (an how???) - cause I have to place them together on the very same Timeline!

2. - DO I CHOOSE PRESET WHICH HAS SONY's 1440x1080 resolution or the full 1920x1080 resolution that my Canon shots its footage as!?

3. - HOW TO EXPORT THE FINAL PROJECT??? IT IS GOING TO BE "MAKING OF" or "BEHIND THE SCENES" of quite a big Feature Film... So, I need a good quality - obviously different FINALS - one for WEB, one for BLUE RAY, one for STANDARD DVD - but WHICH FORMAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE???

Would you make it INTERLACED 1080 (25i) or PROGRESSIVE (25p)???

Hope someone can push me forward with few good advices!!!

Thnx a lot!
V.
Vanja Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm sure there are lots of different workflows to get where you want to be, but what I would do is to use the Cineform product to convert all footage to Cineform 1920x1080 .avi and make it all either interlaced, or all progressive.
Edit on the appropriate CF sequence preset, then you can export the timeline to any of the delivery formats you may need.
IMO, this is the best bet to end up with the highest quality end products.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Trustee

Vanja,

Better to edit p material in an i sequence than the other way around.

Keep in mind that p material in an interlaced sequence will show LF and UF in one frame, without any need for correction or adjustment. With i material in a p sequence the UF will be discarded and the LF will be doubled, so you throw away half your vertical resolution.

IMO this is a no brainer, keep it in i format.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Trustee

I haven't tried this but: create an Interlace sequence and nest it in the Progressive sequence.

Harm, can you point me to testing that shows how you came to your conclusion about editing P in an I sequence? I am not trying to debate the issue, but I am starting to use my Sony xr500v 60i as a 2nd cam alongside my EX1. In CS5, I set the 60i video to deinterlace, which almost maxes out my i7 during playback within a 30p sequence.

Thanks (Harm, hopefully I will have some PPBM testing done tonight)

Harm should know the answer - Premiere automatically adjusts HDV 1.33 PAR (1440x1080) within a 1920x1080 timeline, correct? This is Vanja's #2 question.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Trustee

Yo Harm, can you answer my question?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Read the Help on the subject of de-interlace, if you nest interlaced in a progressive sequence you are still throwing away have your resolution. Never wonder why the footage lookes a bit wooly compaired to interlaced and yes Premiere automatic adjusts the PAR of hdv in a 1920x1080 sequence.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite