Archiving Formats - CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Archiving Formats - CS5

I used to archive to NeoHD V4 AVI but since I upgraded to CS5 I dont have CF support anymore so will I lose any quailty if I archive to say MPG/M2T/H264?

Or should I pay the 149$ for CF? I dont use FL so I dont see it value for money.

Source Footage is AVCHD/HDV
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Major Player

David,

I have found Cineform to be a great codec for archival, but another option is to not output a master at all... just consolidate and archive a trimmed project via the Project Manager.

Yes you have to load up the project and re-output, but it beats being stuck with a lossy master file which is what you would have with any variety of MPEG or H264.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Marty,

I havent seen anything about Project Manager so can you let me know what it is?

** Edit **

Thats cool feature. Copies everything I've used to a different folder so I can archive that off to a BR and not have a massive 150GB+ GB
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Major Player

The other obvious advantage is when it comes to revisions or re-edits. With a trimmed project, you are mostly future proofed, and you can keep your options open to future output formats.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
The other obvious advantage is when it comes to revisions or re-edits. With a trimmed project, you are mostly future proofed, and you can keep your options open to future output formats.
Yep this is a great option for me as I had a problem only a couple of weeks ago where a client asked could I change something in the project but there was missing/corrupt items.

I only had the master file but couldnt remove what he wanted - Old company logo so lost a easy sale.

Thanks Marty.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite