DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Who here freelances motion graphics? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/479494-who-here-freelances-motion-graphics.html)

Kell Smith May 27th, 2010 08:32 AM

Who here freelances motion graphics?

Is there anyone who can advise me on the business aspects of this, and on what software I would need to know to be competitive?
Currently I have an older version of FCP, Motion, After Effects, CS3, Livetype, etc. The After Effects version is old (6.5? i think?) - never learned it, but I do have some training DVDs that could serve as an introduction.
Is most motion graphics work done in-house, or freelance? For freeelance, what would be an average rate window?
Have you contracted out to designers? what was the project? Again, a rate window?

I just did a project that made me realize, I have a knack for this, and a little bit of a graphic design background. This might be something I can shop around.

Just to clarify: when I say freelance motion graphics, I am speaking more of the design element - as for someone's video or postproducttion - rather than live television freelance, which I did for a short time many years ago on the Chyron - but it's a whole different specialty.

Suggestions appreciated from people in the know about this.

Thanks

Edit - Hmmmm... wrong forum maybe? Or, I"m thinking maybe wrong title.

Steve Kalle May 28th, 2010 05:44 PM

Advanced After Effects knowledge is a must if you want to live solely on freelance work. Cinema 4D knowledge greatly helps (or 3ds Max or Maya but Cinema 4D has the best integration w/AE).

Go to fxguide.com and ask around there. I am enrolled in their sister site fxphd.com which has several advanced AE classes in addition to many other programs.

Lynda.com is great for learning the basics as I did.

Other good AE/C4D sites run by freelance artists:
greyscalegorilla.com
helloluxx.com
motionworks.com.au/category/tutorials/ -- there is a great interview with Lloyd Alvarez, a freelance AE artist Unplugged 17: Lloyd Alvarez | Motionworks

Tim Clapham and Mark Chrsitainsen are avid AE artists and they author many tutorials.

Steve Nelson May 28th, 2010 09:10 PM

Add Andrew Kramer to that list. He's got a great site:

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals

Kell Smith May 31st, 2010 10:14 AM

Oh, hey thanks you guys. I'll check those out.
My version of After Effects is 6.5. It's moved several versions ahead, but I have the Total Training discs for that. Would that version be current enough to give me a strong foundation to then update? How much has the software changed since then?
I'll post that question where you suggested. I need to know more about the business of it - what people need, what people charge, where the market is, etc.
Welcome your suggestions on that if you have any thoughts on it. Otherwise, I'l check out those other sites and do some research.
Thanks much!

Kell Smith May 31st, 2010 12:09 PM

So, those of you out there who are not graphic artists, do you use freelancers for motion graphics work? Or do you hire in-house people?
What types of work would you do in-house, vs. hiring out?

Robert Young May 31st, 2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kell Smith (Post 1533370)
Oh, hey thanks you guys. I'll check those out.
My version of After Effects is 6.5. It's moved several versions ahead, but I have the Total Training discs for that. Would that version be current enough to give me a strong foundation to then update? How much has the software changed since then?

I learned AE on version 6. The software has added lots of features and changes since then.
But, the thing about AE, it seems to me, is that it is not very intuitive, and has a rather steep learning curve. The concepts that govern AE, navigation of the user interface, how to get from A to B, etc., are fairly timeless. The Total Training course for AE 6 is quite good. IMO if you followed the tutorials, actually did the exercise projects, you could tame the beast. Then, moving to AE CS5 would just be a matter getting up to date with the new features that interest you.
In other words, I think the fundamental problem is simply learning the basics of AE, and v. 6.5 is certainly recent enough, along with the TT course, to do the job.

Kell Smith May 31st, 2010 07:26 PM

Good, that's what I was hoping.
I havent' used it, since i have Motion. Which I've used only sparingly. But it seems pretty intuitive and pretty cool.