Newbie looking for help with rotobrush at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Newbie looking for help with rotobrush

Hi All,
New to After Effects / Premier Pro. Have been using Vegas Pro for a year or so prior. I'm a hobbyist looking to learn.

With that said, here's what I want to accomplish. For this example, I have some video footage of my 6 year old riding his bike. Within this footage there's a moment where he's stationary as I ask him a few questions. From here, I'd like to roll a few frames of that footage of just him without the original background, then freeze the video (still with black/gray background only), 'move' him to the left side of the frame, and add some text to the right side...hold that for 2 seconds or so, then get back to the normal footage, original background and all.

What I've done: I started with the rotobrush and am able to select what I want and advance that over several frames. How do I now take a particular frame in this sequence and freeze it for several seconds so that I can 1) add text, and 2) manipulate the foreground i.e. move / resize to left side of frame, and 3) perhaps copy that to different places in the timeline?

Lots more questions on this, but this is hopefully a good place to start. I've watched more than a handful of tutorials on this from Adobe TV to what I could find on youtube, but none that I have found so far focus on 'what to do / what you can do AFTER you have your foreground selected with the rotobrush'...I'm sure it's because that part is assumed knowledge, but for a newbie like me, well...I'm looking for help :)

TIA,
Per
Per Farny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Try Lynda.com.
Tutorial: After Effects CS5 New Creative Techniques
Hannu Korpinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Check out Video Copilot's Basic Training (then move on to their more advanced tutorials). Best AE site around! They also have a bunch of free presets and more.
After Effects Basic Training
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks all. Making my way through those! Having taken a peek in the specific sections, though, I still haven't found info on how to take the foreground that's selected via the rotobrush, and create a still or freeze frame for it for several seconds prior to continuing the video footage (and place the freeze frame/still in other places within the composition and add text to it...but I can worry about those pieces later).

Any specific pointers there?

TIA,
Per
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #5
New Boot

Try Composition --> Save Frame As --> Photoshop layers. Then re-import the layer you used the RotoBrush on (the mask/transparency made by it will be preserved in the Photoshop file) and use that to make your still frame. You can adjust its duration, position, scale, etc, whatever you need to do.
Galen Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #6
New Boot

Great! Thank you! That's what I was looking for.
Any particular options I should choose/not choose when doing so? I tried it once and used defaults and it seemed to be OK, just want to double check.
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #7
New Boot

You're welcome! If you want to work with a file other than a PSD, choose the save frame as "File" option instead -- it sends the current time indicator frame to the render queue where you can choose whatever format options you need. You probably figured out by now saving a Photoshop layers file saves the entire comp with all the layers at the comp's resolution -- pretty handy function that I happen to use a lot.
Galen Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite